Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Are we getting too much influenced by Youtubers?

OP RedMangabey

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 13
I follow many, many youtubers becuase i like to hear many opinions and get a bigger picture of things. Many youtubers absolutely disgust me, becuase they bash subjects and whine without any reason. Some are better than others, but many seemingly lack any information needed to talk about the subject that they talk about. Overall, i think we shouldnt listen to them, honestly its better think for your self inseted of "insert link of hatefull youtuber here".

I watch about 4-6 videos a week about halo form youtubers. Most of the time i enjoy it and like how i can counter act what they say with valid points. Other times i find myself on the bandwagon of "yeah, hes right". And then there is the rare time where i just get mad, like overly mad. For instance the act man went on a rant about a req code in a loot crate. The whole video was flawed and contradicted itself. I could almost go angry joe on it and tear it apart.

I think 343i should aproace their content with the mind set of what would youtubers think and say. Becuase for the most part the unhappy youtubers complaind about benchmarks and staples of halo, and lack there of in curent games.
I really dont watch Halo YouTubers. But i do watch Halofollower for news, lore vids, and more. And about the whole month of mythic, I think it is stupid. And no Youtuber told me that.
People will do what they want and believe what they want to believe. This is a fact of life and not something a forum topic is going to change. There are always going to be people who blindly hate because of another's opinion, but I don't think it's a bad thing to watch the chanels you agree with. I personally watch the act man because he points out flaws and then backs up his reasoning with solid points, and isn't annoying or -Yoink- about it. Also, lots of people rally behind the youtubers because it gives them a bigger platform to have their opinions' be voiced, and usually they don't have to argue with a differing opinion because they gang up on it.

In in the end it shouldn't matter what we do to an extent. 343 just needs to make the game they think is going to be the most successful for Halo, and taking what we here on the forums with a grain of salt. I think Halo 4 was an honest mistake, MCC and Halo 5 I believe were rushed by Microsoft, and is the cause of most people's problems. If Microsoft gives them the time they need I honestly believe 343 will deliver a Halo game that many people will be happy with.

Since everyone one is putting their two cents in for the Mythic packs, they are the seeds to a potentially huge problem. I think 343 sees the outrage however, and knows that we know what they are trying, and will back off these tactics soon.
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.

Why? Becuase they both are primarily tips videos for newer players, while most other youtubers are making videos to hate on halo for views these guys are trying to teach players how to be better. They are heavily influencing the new to halo community. I don't think that's a bad thing.

They both may make the occasional opinion video, I just hope that all those players know that while watching either of these youtubers can provide you with some good ground work to improve your game when they give their take on the state of halo it is nothing more than opinion. LTNs latest video on the mythic pack was funny, but it was pure opinion, one that should hold no more weight than yours on mine.

I hate it when Dbibbins or wpnsgrade videos are linked to prove an opinion. I am entertained by both proximitty and LTN, occasionaly I watch one of their game reviews where they point out a mistake im prone to make. That affects me, I will try to fix that mistake although I've played halo a very long time and it's tough for me to get kinks out of my game due to habbits. I will not however start to hate halo 5 if one day LTN or proximitty decide that halo 5 is trash and spend the rest of their youtube career bashing it.

No youtuber should ever affect your opinion of anything. They are there to spark conversation and have a comments section for discussion. Entertainment purposes only.
I would disagree the act man and late-night-gaming are the most influential cause there vids seem to be linked the most times.
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.

Why? Becuase they both are primarily tips videos for newer players, while most other youtubers are making videos to hate on halo for views these guys are trying to teach players how to be better. They are heavily influencing the new to halo community. I don't think that's a bad thing.

They both may make the occasional opinion video, I just hope that all those players know that while watching either of these youtubers can provide you with some good ground work to improve your game when they give their take on the state of halo it is nothing more than opinion. LTNs latest video on the mythic pack was funny, but it was pure opinion, one that should hold no more weight than yours on mine.

I hate it when Dbibbins or wpnsgrade videos are linked to prove an opinion. I am entertained by both proximitty and LTN, occasionaly I watch one of their game reviews where they point out a mistake im prone to make. That affects me, I will try to fix that mistake although I've played halo a very long time and it's tough for me to get kinks out of my game due to habbits. I will not however start to hate halo 5 if one day LTN or proximitty decide that halo 5 is trash and spend the rest of their youtube career bashing it.

No youtuber should ever affect your opinion of anything. They are there to spark conversation and have a comments section for discussion. Entertainment purposes only.
I would disagree the act man and late-night-gaming are the most influential cause there vids seem to be linked the most times.
Influential to opinion yes. But that's what I'm saying none of the act man LNG RUL Hallofolloweretc should be influencing people's opinions. My reasons for calling LTN inflencial is he is influencing gameplay. Trying to make new players better. Just don't take his or any other youtubers opinions as gold.
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
Great post. There are different types of people: people who rely on YouTubers' word as law, and people who are more independent and discover what works for them. I don't think we should bash on either type, their playstyle/brains just function differently. I wish there weren't so much hate and insults...it just creates anger and bad atmosphere. We're all unique. (And your grammar is just fine!) ;)
I am very happy that this and a number of other forums are taking a stand against the "true fans" that keep hating on everything related to the Reclaimer Saga. Those guys think they are right about everything, but are just spewing mindless arguments that are fragmenting the Halo community. They truly believe they're on some sort of noble crusade to "save" Halo, but they're coming closer to destroying it.
Youtubers play an important role, they give form to opinions that others may not be able to articulate clearly. When you see someone link a Youtuber, it's because the person wants to say what the Youtuber said, they just didn't have an effective way to say it before.

Personally, when I saw the prophets bane pack my reaction was "I don't think is a very good value. I would never buy this." This was before I had seen any type of Youtube video or forum post. Sure enough, when I logged onto the internet and browsed around the Halo community, I found many people agreed with me.

So I would say overall there are surely some feeble minded people who are just parrots of Youtubers, but at the end of the day Youtubers are people who have an ability to communicate their feelings very well, and when multiple Youtubers end up having similar feelings, it can be a pretty good indicator of general community opinion.
I am very happy that this and a number of other forums are taking a stand against the "true fans" that keep hating on everything related to the Reclaimer Saga. Those guys think they are right about everything, but are just spewing mindless arguments that are fragmenting the Halo community. They truly believe they're on some sort of noble crusade to "save" Halo, but they're coming closer to destroying it.
well, the intention of this post isn't to fight against the "true fans". But is to point out the source of our arguments, on "BOTH SIDES" are being linking videos, most of them charged by hate, click bait titles, flawed arguments.
You know what? I agree with you.
"agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects"
This is whats happening right now. There's rarely actual discussion on a subject, just agreeing and flaming.
People in YouTube just say video says why ____ is bad. You don't see counter points or suggestions to add.
Yet, those people might say the same about you, yeah?
You can't get offended that there are a group of fans that want certain things for Halo. Things like no sprint, or more covenant maps, or classic art style, whatever it may be.
Just like those people can't, or at least shouldn't, get offended at you for being on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Not me. I make my own opinions without the influence of YouTubers.
We are in the Information Age. There is absolutely no shortage of it out there. Some people are easily swayed in their opinion. That's not a bad thing by any means. If the info presented is solid it's understandable. The problem is people like to adopt others OPINIONS on occasion and regurgitate them as truth.

Aside from kills of the week I rarely watch an opinion video where someone dissects the game play. I only care if the game is enjoyable to me. If I don't like it i chalk it up to a bad purchase and may be more wary of the developer or a sequel in the future. I don't read too much into reviews of a game either. Too often I have found what one person finds to be crap turned out to be fun for me.

Sure, these videos and reviews can have a negative/positive effect on a games success. Unfortunately, we put a lot of stock into the opinions of others. On the other hand why wouldn't we? No one wants to pay $60 for a game that is gonna suck only to take it back to Game Stop the next day and get $5 for it, right?
Youtubers play an important role, they give form to opinions that others may not be able to articulate clearly. When you see someone link a Youtuber, it's because the person wants to say what the Youtuber said, they just didn't have an effective way to say it before.

Personally, when I saw the prophets bane pack my reaction was "I don't think is a very good value. I would never buy this." This was before I had seen any type of Youtube video or forum post. Sure enough, when I logged onto the internet and browsed around the Halo community, I found many people agreed with me.

So I would say overall there are surely some feeble minded people who are just parrots of Youtubers, but at the end of the day Youtubers are people who have an ability to communicate their feelings very well, and when multiple Youtubers end up having similar feelings, it can be a pretty good indicator of general community opinion.
I agree. You can link a video when your opinion is exactly the same as the YouTube video. Their opinions maybe represents half as the community's and that's a good indicative when they are heard. But, YouTubers aren't the gurus of halo, they are people like us, and when we give them too much credibility, especially when the videos are hateful against or pro Halo 5, then we have a problem.
Yeah, some YouTubers are part of the problem. Oh well.

I have the ability to formulate my own opinions, so, I don't watch much other than competitive gameplay. Some BBK Dragoon and LTN here and there for those gameplay dissections.
I agree that there probably are some YTers that are part of the "problem". But I don't think it's as big of a problem as some may believe.

I have the ability to formulate my own opinions as well... and I believe this is what many people possibly get a bit mixed up about. I'm not inclined to believe that many people just find some YTer who influences their opinion and then roll along with that. I think that they just find a YTer who is talented enough to better express the thoughts and opinions that fall along what that person already believes. Therefor, they just use that video as a reinforcement, or perhaps to save them the trouble of going through all the effort of doing what has already been done for them.
I haven't heard about this "Month of Mythic" and I don't really watch people play Halo 5.
Heronimon wrote:
Heronimon wrote:
I don't watch any of the youtubers, and I still scoffed at the whole month of mythic thing.
What's month of mythic?

Your name made me chuckle
The latest hot topic.

The whole deal with the Prophet's Bane pack, apparently it's going to be a month long thing with different mythics available for purchase.
Hot juicy topic you mean haha.

Oh okay. Sounds like a complete waste of their time and anyone-foolish-enough's money.
Mmmm..... tasty.
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
I usually form my own opinions along with the several Halo YouTubers to form a complete conclusion on the subject. I like seeing their views on Halo subjects and a few of them have very good evidence to their claims. They can also help me form new opinions or give me a different view on something with their arguments. For example, I didn't think that Warzone was P2W, but one brought up the argument that you could buy gold packs in bulk and you'd be much better off than the person who has to get them normally. And while it certainly screws up the balance a bit, I wouldn't say it's true P2W. Well, that is what I would've said if they didn't release the Prophet's Bane for $10. THAT is P2W.
I would say yes and no, yes the youtubers can shift an opinion one way or another if a person is on the fence about a topic. However, I say no, at least in my case, since specifically TheActMan is more of a voice for all the things i believe 343 have done wrong. I generate my own opinions and views on what is going on, but it just so happens that some youtubers express the same opinion and they are projecting it, so I naturally am drawn to them and direct others to them to show them where I am coming from opinion wise. Just my 2-cents.
I make my own opinions about Halo. If a Youtuber shares my opinion, I might use his video to support my claim. However, sometimes a Youtuber will make a compelling claim and I will find myself persuaded by their arguement. take Favyn's video on classic playlists in Halo 5. I used to be for them, but he brings up the point that the weapon sandbox wouldn't work in them because they were designed for enhanced mobility.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 13