Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Are we getting too much influenced by Youtubers?

OP RedMangabey

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 13
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
If you are a fickle sheep,then yes you may be extremely influenced by there opinions,but if not,then no you form your own opinion and u do not care what others think
Let me use an real example:
Latest LateNightGaming video about the Prophet's Bane pack. I agree with everything he said, but the way he does it is making a caps locked click bait title and using a very disgusting hashtag. People on the comments section gets mad about it and start spamming that hashtag everywhere.

Ultime Halo's video about sprint. Basically the key quote of this video is "If you don't like sprint, don't sprint". People instantly start to spamming this quote everywhere.

I mean, they have an "army" who will going to defend them and copy and paste their opinions without debating it. You can just link the video and problem solved.
"If you don't like peoples opinions don't listen to them" right just like "if you don't like sprint don't sprint"
Also, the game was built with sprint in mind, every map are large and not sprinting will give you a disadvantage, sure you can play and never print, but the other people will do it and they will use it against you.
you tubers of halo are just speaking there minds they bring up actual issues and sometimes your opinions and there opinions clash and just cause you love something dosent mean you have to tolerate it when a halo you tuber bashes something they give a solution late night only talks about them and to be honest if I had a youtube channel id be talking about it too this halo game is by far not the best
Youtubers like LNG and Favyn are helpful to this community. Listening to them isn't a bad thing. They bring up good points and address serious issues facing the series.
No no no, this isn't what I am talking about. I said that I made my opinion on the month of mythic watching youtubers, there is nothing wrong with it. What I am trying to say is there are people who sees the video, create a thread linking the youtuber, but sometimes did not even have played Halo 5, it is just trying to speak louder.
Alright. I guess people should play the game before formulating an opinion on this kind of thing.
Who cares. I play the game. If people don't like the game then stop playing. it is what it is.
FireHALO 3 wrote:
Vblownaf95 wrote:
Vblownaf95 wrote:
I was in youtube, saw this thumbnail that said something like "Is Halo becoming Pay to Win- Mythic Month Pack", I didn't watch the video, because my first reaction when I saw this was, NO, because you can get that in regular RP (gold) packs, so if you can get something by just playing, then it's not "Pay to Win", (if it was an exclusive OP weapon, then it would be P2W).

What do I have to say with low levels with Prophets' Bane? Bring it on! I'd love to kill you and get me a free Prophets' Bane. >:D
It still give people an unfair advantage over other players, even if it's not Pay-to-Win. A highly skilled player can wreck with the Bane.
Yeah, giving me free Prophets' Banes is a disadvantage to other players.
You just said it, also it makes the game for others that can't get the points or the money worst and make the game not fun to play
You do know when I said "giving me free Prophets' Banes", I meant a bunch of other players running around with Prohpets' Bane, so I just kill them and get it, not me buying the req pack, cause me buying ain't "free".
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

If you are a fickle sheep,then yes you may be extremely influenced by there opinions,but if not,then no you form your own opinion and u do not care what others think
Also because people follow Youtuber because they share the same opinions, is like if I just watch call of duty YouTuber that says COD is the best thing in the world when I just don't care or like COD.
FireHALO 3 wrote:

Also because people follow Youtuber because they share the same opinions, is like if I just watch call of duty YouTuber that says COD is the best thing in the world when I just don't care or like COD.
If the youtubers is a fickle fanboy and the person who is watching him is easily influenced then yes they will fall prey to that shortsightedness
I don't think theres nothing wrong with some of these youtube videos. You have to take it with a grain of salt. While some share the same opinions as others that just means they have things in common. These are all opinions. There are several videos out there that I agree with. Even though I think some of these people that make them get a bit wrapped up in there emotions about Halo.

Zippy.
I can tell you're talking about act mans video. Yea I agree with him 100% honestly I think you're just complaining about something isn't even real. Sorry man but nafam.
you tubers of halo are just speaking there minds they bring up actual issues and sometimes your opinions and there opinions clash and just cause you love something dosent mean you have to tolerate it when a halo you tuber bashes something they give a solution late night only talks about them and to be honest if I had a youtube channel id be talking about it too this halo game is by far not the best
Youtubers like LNG and Favyn are helpful to this community. Listening to them isn't a bad thing. They bring up good points and address serious issues facing the series.
No no no, this isn't what I am talking about. I said that I made my opinion on the month of mythic watching youtubers, there is nothing wrong with it. What I am trying to say is there are people who sees the video, create a thread linking the youtuber, but sometimes did not even have played Halo 5, it is just trying to speak louder.
then talk about non halo players complaining about halo and how it dosent cater to them this is how we got 343 halos in the first place tell them to shutup
then talk about non halo players complaining about halo and how it dosent cater to them this is how we got 343 halos in the first place tell them to shutup
And thats the reason the community is divided, because we want halo, not COD (HALO 4) not titanfall and destiny (Halo 5 and its REQ) system
FireHALO 3 wrote:
And thats the reason the community is divided, because we want halo, not COD (HALO 4) not titanfall and destiny (Halo 5 and its REQ) system
you agreeing with me or not I cant tell
FireHALO 3 wrote:
I think that the community is divided because half us want classic Halo, while the other half wants the new stuff. 343 unfortunately hasn't found the balance between the two yet, and in some cases they are just making things worse. Sure they put even starts back in, but then they put in Spartan Charge and micro-transactions.
FireHALO 3 wrote:
you agreeing with me or not I cant tell
I agree, because you said the reason why these new halos feel so different from the originals
Are we being influenced by you Tubers? Maybe. Do they have a point? Definitely.
IMO, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what's good/bad/ugly in Halo 5, but as for youtubers, it's debatable. They've got their own opinion on what's in games these days. I don't think the community is giving youtubers too much power IMO.
Yes, youtubers do talk too much about this stuff and yes they influence us too much. It got to the point where I stopped listening to propaganda, personal stories, and what they want, and only listened to facts. That's the only reason i subscribed to them: for news, not for personal opinions.

Then I thought about what I want for Halo, and it shows me that what I want back is different. all I wanted from Halo was a fun game (in the FPS titles, Halo Wars will always be fun). Halo 1 through 4 (main series games) gave me that in the campaign, and Halo 3, Reach, and 5 gave me a true experience in all sides of Halo for what the multiplayer should be played like: Fun, Competitive, Fair, Creative (Unfortunately it took about 9 months for 343 to add that creativity to matchmaking in H5 with action sack). I accept this, but not what people can say about these games.

Reqs... Ok i've made my statement about them before. I hate them. I don't want this system to return because RNG is never a fun method of unlocking unless you love to gamble. But even with this gamble, you don't honestly get anything back except more online stuff you can only use in game, nothing that you can use in real life, It's why I hate a lot of PC titles that use microtransactions and ingame purchases. I dont care for Hats in TF2, If i wanted a new Hat i could go play fallout, or better yet, I could go out in the real world and buy one.

that's not something on youtube that influenced me. That's me talking. Youtubers can't keep this up because it brainwashes people to believe that what they say is right, and 343 needs to realize people are irritated by REQs. i defended REQs for a time but then I realized how idiotic it is for people that don't understand what it is to buy REQs even to the point that they use their real money. This comical video can explain what im talking about (warning: Contains Graphic Language, and possibly offensive content). I get that it's a joke but it's right. People actually do this for online games. No more of this. This has turned some of the community toxic. Now I say no more REQs.
Youtubers do have considerable power. There voices can be heard easily, so they do influence a lot of people.
Don't agree with youtubers for any other reason than you personally genuinely feel that way.

I make my content absolutely to influence people. To potentially get them to see it in a different way and for them to further their own knowledge of things. But I don't want people to believe what I said just because I was the one who said it. I want them to believe it because THEY believe it. And if they finish watching a video I made and disagree, I want them to tell me why. I want them to explain their own thought process because not only is it an opportunity to establish a dialogue and provide further explanation and address their concerns, but it's an opportunity for me to learn as well.

I don't think it's a one way street. That only youtubers do the influencing, because as a youtuber myself the community interaction, responses, and discussions have all had an influence on me as well. And I think that's a very good thing.
Just responding to the title, but personally I listen to Youtuber opinions and if there isn't anything backing them up then I don't take what they say to heart. Some YouTubers like Halofollower have sort of lost credibility with me with opinions that are there seemingly just to start a conversation (usually in a negative way) without much sound reasoning behind them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 13