Forums / Community / General Discussion

Best Cinematography?

OP taylorboys0205

Which Halo game do you think had the best cinematography? Personally, Halo 2, but I’d like to know what you think. Remember, people are entitled to their own opinions.
For me, it's Halo 3. The camera shots throughout every cutscene really captured what Halo 3 was going for: Epic. That said, I also love Halo Reach's different take on things with its closer camera shots that focused in on Noble Team as if the footage was recovered from military recordings from Reach itself. Halos 1, 2, 4 and 5 were all pretty standard. H2 Anniversary was an interesting new take on things, but meh. The CGI shots didn't really do much for me. ODST felt unique. Halo Wars 1 and 2 were good, but nothing to write home about.
I really like the cinematography of halo reach it’s really beautifully done
After reviewing some of the cutscenes while focusing solely at the cinematography, I'd probably say Halo Reach.

Halo CE and 2 didn't really have much to work with due to technical limitations, both in terms of what the cameras were capturing, and what could be done with the cameras. There wasn't much in terms of lighting to play around with, the cameras mostly do either still shots or very simple pans that roughly follow the motion in the scene. Halo 2 is definitely a step up from CE and does pretty well with what it has, but it's still pretty limited.

Halo 3 is the first game that is really able to do stuff with cinematography. The opening scene of Sierra 117, for example, showcases what the game can do with a bit more lighting and some depth of field. The camera movement is much more free and creative. For instance, again from Sierra 117, the ending cutscene has this really neat shot where the camera starts inside the flying Peilcan, but then pulls out midway through. This sort of shot would be difficult to pull off with traditional cinematography, but in a virtual environment gives no issues.

Anyway, starting with Reach I think we Reach the point where the cameras can do basically anything they could in a traditional Hollywood film. Namely, we've finally got the shaky cam that can look like it's actually being held by an operator. To that end, I think Halo 4 and 5 are filmed for the most part in a very traditional way like any action film. There are some interesting shots. Notably, the opening of Halo 5 where we see Osiris fight their way through a Covenant army. Now, I've got my own problems with that scene, but I think the fact that it was filmed as a single continuous shot makes it visually much more interesting than your run of the mill action scene. Apart from such exceptions, however, the cineomatography in those two games seems very traditional.

So, finally, what I like about Reach is that it makes the exceptions into the norm. A lot of the shots are done as if they were from cameras that are just part of the equipment, i.e., attached the vehicles, buildings, space stations etc. The Sabre launch cutscene on Long Night of Solace is a good example of exceptional use of such camera angles. Obviously, the game does also use traditional angles, but the frequency of shots that aren't done in an entirely traditional way makes the cinematography overall a bit more interesting.
Halo 2 and Halo 4 nails it!
I honestly think Halo 3 ODST Cinematography was pretty good
Halo 3 had its fair share of great moments, along with CE
Honestly, either Halo Wars 1 or Halo 2.

Can never seize to remember Red Team fight vs Elites
Definitely Reach for the same reason tsassi said. The game's use of angles that are from UNSC equipment like the start of Tip of the Spear when it's an angle from the Warthog interior. Or The Package when Noble is going to the elevator down to Halsey's lab. And especially after Noble 6 took off his helmet during his last stand. It was something new and cool to be seen used frequently. It kinda tied in the armor customization too, just by having an external cam on your helmet it was like you were looking through your armor piece.

ODST kinda did this too with the Superintendent AI's cameras around the city, but it wasn't as varied.
Definitely Halo Reach
Halo Reach by far! Love the grittiness and shots of the planet.
For me I think Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach had done great work with the cinematography. They of course were the latest games added to the franchise by Bungie so for them to be the last, it makes sense why they were beautifully crafted.

My favourites from ODST are the drop scene, the first Dutch mission with the drone spotting him, the ending cutscene for NMPD HQ where the Brute Chieftain attacks the squad, and of course the final cutscene (before the epilogue) with the Phantom flying out of the city with the whole squad and Vergil.

My favourites from Reach are the starting cutscene showing Six approaching the remote UNSC outpost, the ambush by the Elite Zealots, the starting of ONI Sword Base, the start of Tip of the Spear (obviously), the ending if Long Night of Solace as Six is falling back down to the planet, the start of Exodus showing New Alexandria under siege, the ending of Exodus (as the civilians transports fly away), the start of the New Alexandria mission, during the New Alexandria mission as the city is being glassed, the start of The Pillar of Autumn as the Pelican is being chased by Banshees and Phantoms, Carter’s death scene, Emile’s death scene, and lastly the start of Lone Wolf as Six stands to face the Covenant.

I know this seems long but I really had to go into detail of each scene I liked. ODST and Reach were just a masterpiece in terms of cinematography in my eyes, and I think Bungie did good work with both of them.
Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo Wars 2 and probably Reach wait are talking about cutscene cinematic and graphics?
Arby4774 wrote:
I honestly think Halo 3 ODST Cinematography was pretty good
I gotta agree with you there I forgot to mention Halo 3 ODST in my Reply.
H2a and reach
Reach. Its different takes on cameras and angles makes it unique, while not dragging the player away from the narrative. As mentioned above, many of the shots are taken from what seem to be everyday operating cameras, which gives it a very real feel. My favorite is when Jorge is flying between the docked saber to the pelican, and you can see a camera is tracking his movement, but also noting the explosions happening on Reach.
Reach for sure.