Forums / Community / General Discussion

Best play order for new players?

OP CaptainKidd1878

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So my girlfriend is coming over to play halo and shes never played it before. Should i have her play them all in chronological order or release date?
I'm leaning more to chronological so she can start with Reach and get a taste for the story which will gave halo one more weight considering it's not heavy in story. Thoughts?

UPDATE: She chose chronological order so she started with reach and she was absolutely terrible at it she only barley beat the first mission before quitting. Also we broke up
:/
Reach is a solid starting point, but MCC probably has better value for money.
I’d say go by release date. CE is the most simple and straightforward (not in a bad way or anything negative here) in its narration and gameplay and that’s a great way to introduce someone to the franchise. Reach gets pretty heavy with all sorts of weapons and enemies and the plot might get confusing even though it is chronologically the second game (after HW1).
Start with Halo 1, then do 2, then 3 then ODST then Reach then 4 and then 5.
Thanks I would have never figured out myself.have a good day good sir.
Story wise start with Reach but I would personally go by release order just because that's the way the gameplay evolved. Would feel kinda jarring never having played any of them, starting with Reach that has a much more polished and modern feel to it along with all the extra abilities then going to H1 and continuing from there. That's just me though.
Story wise start with Reach but I would personally go by release order just because that's the way the gameplay evolved. Would feel kinda jarring never having played any of them, starting with Reach that has a much more polished and modern feel to it along with all the extra abilities then going to H1 and continuing from there. That's just me though.
Agreed.

Warning to OP: my girlfriend has never played Halo or any other FPS and tried to play H3 with me... did. not. end. well. lol best of luck!
Agreed.

Warning to OP: my girlfriend has never played Halo or any other FPS and tried to play H3 with me... did. not. end. well. lol best of luck!
How do you mean it didnt end well?
Thanks I would have never figured out myself.have a good day good sir.
???
So my girlfriend is coming over to play halo and shes never played it before. Should i have her play them all in chronological order or release date?
I'm leaning more to chronological so she can start with Reach and get a taste for the story which will gave halo one more weight considering it's not heavy in story. Thoughts?
Honestly it depends on if she is interested in the story to begin with. If you want to her to get into the series I would start with playing online with her and that choice would be up to you on what you think would be the right choice. Personally I would start out with Halo 5 multiplayer. Not because I think it is the best one, although I do like it I wouldn't say it is my favorite, but that isn't the point here. I think Halo 5 for whatever flack it gets is a good starting point because I like to think it plays a little bit like most FPS now a days. Again whether that is good or bad is up to the consumer. But that is my take on it personally and I hoped I helped in some way.
If they want to learn about the universe and want to understand the story, I'd say start with Halo: Reach and just go through the games in order of the games (missing ODST) chronologically, then if they're super hooked, show them the RTS games and ODST.

If they just want to play an awesome game, I suggest starting with either Halo 2 (specifically Anniversary so they're not mortified by 2004 graphics) or 3. Tons of action in the two games (I'd say more so in Halo 3), and playing through two separate campaigns from two perspectives in Halo 2 might be pretty cool for a new player that isn't invested in the story.

I'm jealous, I wish I could relive experiencing the Halo games for the first time again.

Good luck!
If they want to learn about the universe and want to understand the story, I'd say start with Halo: Reach and just go through the games in order of the games (missing ODST) chronologically, then if they're super hooked, show them the RTS games and ODST.

If they just want to play an awesome game, I suggest starting with either Halo 2 (specifically Anniversary so they're not mortified by 2004 graphics) or 3. Tons of action in the two games (I'd say more so in Halo 3), and playing through two separate campaigns from two perspectives in Halo 2 might be pretty cool for a new player that isn't invested in the story.

I'm jealous, I wish I could relive experiencing the Halo games for the first time again.

Good luck!
I relive that moment any time I get a new Halo game and I am 24 years old lol.
Sirron1995 wrote:
Yeah, to be fair I did relive it with Halo 4, not so much for Guardians though :( I have faith in Infinite though, have you seen the presentation for the trailer that 343i streamed a while ago? It's got me super hyped for what might be coming :)
Agreed.

How do you mean it didnt end well?
Nothing bad lol, she was just terrible at it and couldn't even figure out how to walk in the right direction XD
Sirron1995 wrote:
Yeah, to be fair I did relive it with Halo 4, not so much for Guardians though :( I have faith in Infinite though, have you seen the presentation for the trailer that 343i streamed a while ago? It's got me super hyped for what might be coming :)
Yeah 343 has done a better job at listening to feedback as time goes on. Most of us are passionate about this series and they are beginning to see that so I too am excited!
I would recommend playing by release date for new comers.
I had my girlfriend play the games in chronological order with me. I left out Halo Wars because I didn’t want to spoil the Flood and you can’t play it splitscreen. She enjoyed playing Reach almost as much as I do. Funny thing, every time she saw Jorge running towards us in a mission, she panicked and started shooting him thinking he was an alien. I had to remind her multiple times that he was our teammate lol! In hindsight I should’ve played ‘em in order of release cuz she was soooo upset when she couldn’t use the energy sword in Halo: CE when she loved using it in Reach earlier. By the time we got to Halo 2, she found her favorite character to be Arbiter and was thrilled we could use the energy sword again.
I'd say chronological. I've had friends start and CE and bash the graphics, even on Anniversary. They had no problems with Reach except for the fact that, that is the only Halo game they will play nowadays. Oh, and don't play the Halo 5 campaign.
start with release date. the original trilogy has a special charm to it that hooks you. except I would play odst before playing halo 3, especially if they're playing for story because through out odst it's "oh I wonder what virgil and the covenant found under the city" but practically at the beginning of halo 3 we find out about the portal to the ark so playing odst before 3 might build up some suspense for that special scene in halo 3 when the portal opens.
Honestly i like to go by release date, to me playing a newer game that is "dated" further in the past than ones released before it kinda gets confusing. MCC is prolly the best way for this
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2