Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Call of Duty is copying Halo!

OP GunnaNoscopeYa

Now everybody knows about Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and if you don't you live under a rock. Halo has many interesting art styles and it seems CoD is trying to copy that type of art style first you guys know Stasis the map that's like a halo ring but broken, well Infinite warfare has basically taken that ring, fixed it and called it theirs. I mean that itself is a huge insult to Halo because Halo is about rings and why do they have to copy the staple of Halo. And you guys know Jorge the big beefy guy with the rip-off machine gun and orange armor well it seems that CoD wants to copy his too and they make their own armor called Excavation and give him the same orange colour and a machine gun. I mean that is just OUTRAGEOUS it makes me so mad. Ring map link https://charlieintel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IW_MP_desktop_03-throwback.jpg
Last time I checked, Halo doesn't have a monoploy on sci-fi. Or rings. Or beefy guys. Or machine guns. Or the color orange.
I'm just going to copy-paste one of my other posts because I don't feel like restating it for the tenth time in the past week. Some of the stuff in there might not explicitly be stated in your post, but it comes up all the time anyway.
Quote:
Pretty much everything you've mentioned is more or less standard sci-fi fare:
  • Ringworlds (Halo ring): started with Larry Niven's book, Ringworld.
  • Pelican: search dropship in Google Images. Not terribly much variation within that group.
  • Mantis: giant mecha/walkers have been a thing in sci-fi since who knows when. The AT-ST from Star Wars. Metal Gears from the Metal Gear franchise. BattleMechs from MechWarrior. Jaegers from Pacific Rim. At least 50% of every science fiction anime ever (Macross, Gundam, Code Geass, etc.).
  • Jorge: "Oh, the stance and colors are the same, therefore it must be Jorge" That's a horrible argument. Practical looking powered armor can only be designed so many ways.
However, I will add that I think the Call of Duty map might actually be a Standford torus, which is a completely different structure from the ringworld design of Halo Installations.
Art imitates art. We can argue back and forth what constitutes a ripoff, but that would be completely useless. Halo itself is heavily derivative anyway. Get over it.
Now everybody knows about Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and if you don't you live under a rock.
I must live under a rock, then
Now everybody knows about Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and if you don't you live under a rock.
I must live under a rock, then
It's the most sci-fi CoD yet, and very controversial. But unless you're a huge CoD fan you probably shouldn't care.
Noo?? Really? I couldn't tell by the 5 other threads that have appeared today. I think we might need to pin a "CoD looks like Halo" thread till people get over it.
I really don't mind it
Hey OP, we generally try and steer clear of comparison threads here as they tend to degrade fairly quickly. Each game has its own unique qualities that players enjoy and I'm sure both will be successful in their own way. We don't want things to turn into developer bashing, which almost always happens with topics like these. Thanks for understanding :)