Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Can Halo Cure Depression?

OP GunnaNoscopeYa

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Can it?
A common part of depression is not finding any enjoyment in things that used to be fun, which could include playing Halo, so I doubt it :(
Doubt it.If someone has depression,he should look for professional help and not soley rely on the idea that an videogame may help.
Most likely not.
No i wish. If it could then I'd be a much happier person.
What about the music soundtracks portrayed in some of the games?
Cure? No, distract from it? Yes.
I don't think there is really any way to truly cure something like depression, but things like music and video games can certainly help. If it's something you or a friend are struggling with I would definitely reach out somewhere and get some help. Take This might be a good place to start, I spoke to them briefly at PAX last year: http://www.takethis.org/

I will say that Halo and the friends I have met through playing and experiencing the Halo universe have definitely helped me through some tough times :)
Cure? No, distract from it? Yes.
I agree, it help distracts me and keeps me busy
Yes. Video games stimulate your endorphins and help you tune out any anxiety/stress you may have
Depression (or really any mood disorder) isn't as easy to solve as play this nice video game, particularly since a lot of people who suffer from depression have anhedonia as a symptom. While Halo (and games in general) are enjoyable it isn't likely to be an effective treatment. If you are suffering from depression (or think you are) I'd recommend you speak to your GP and tell him/her what is going on. They can recommend a trained professional for you to speak with who can make a proper diagnosis and a workable treatment plan. If that isn't an acceptable plan there are groups like the one Stckrboy mentioned above that are available and willing to help.

For the record my degrees are relevant here and seeking treatment is going to be the best option.
I don't think there is any proof of it actually helping with one's depression and I highly doubt it is an option for doing so.
Not in my case. For me it has caused me to isolate myself from society, family and friends.
It can help distract from it, but not cure it. It's really tough, since everyone suffers from depression differently.
Good distraction,not a cure
BIGB EC wrote:
Not in my case. For me it has caused me to isolate myself from society, family and friends.
Do your best to work on that,it can really weigh on you.
BIGB EC wrote:
I do have a support team that I see regularly so it doesn't weigh on me too much for too long.
BIGB EC wrote:
BIGB EC wrote:
I do have a support team that I see regularly so it doesn't weigh on me too much for too long.
Glad to hear it
Heard things that you eat can affect your mood, but it is a bit more complicated than simply to eat healthy, it is to eat helthy and a step further.
I don't think it can. But I don't think Halo can make you depressed either. So it's just kind of there. Sorry.
( T_T)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2