Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Can Halo Cure Depression?

OP GunnaNoscopeYa

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Technically speaking if you do something that you love - without expecting some imaginary results, especially wanting to impress other people or feeling you have something to prove - Halo could help you to captivate your attention on things you like doing best. Which is good. The problem is, Halo is a game and games are mostly a thing of exploit. You want to get creative, instead. You need to express yourself, artistically. So maybe the Forge function could do that, but again, if you depend too much on what other people tell you or how do they evaluate you, it can even make things worse, as we know gaming world is unnecessarily filled with wonderful creative individuals. It is actually filled with people who are being taught the way to exist is to exploit everyone and everything, because that is how things in games work, that you grind and squeeze and level up and hack and slash until puke. Especially if you want to just hack that depression down, gain perk points, take the loot and move on.

So I would say, go rather something more genuine without practical outcomes in mind. Something to help you organize your thoughts, get to grasp yourself better. Read, like intended reading of choice instead of some random forum stuff or news on the Internet. Educate yourself. Maybe some psychology lectures, something soft enough but constructive. To help you understand better what is going on in a more structured, scientific way of thinking. Maybe meditate. To meditate is just to sit, do nothing but do it on purpose, out of conscious choice. Turn down your TV/PC, find a corner, have some quiet time, just sit there for half an hour or an hour. Try to avoid thinking about all the problems in the world but if you think there is something you need to focus your thoughts on, do it. The trick is to discipline yourself, get familiar with that void when everything is suspended. If you yearn to turn the PC again and whatever else, you do it wrong. This kind of meditating or suspending yourself may help to overcome moments when you feel like everything you do will go very wrong.
What!?!?!?!?! No!!!! Are you kidding me? No video game can! Can halo cure cancer? **** NO!!!
What!?!?!?!?! No!!!! Are you kidding me? No video game can! Can halo cure cancer? **** NO!!!
Fandom abuses this term "cancer". They have no respect for human suffering. The same they can make fun of people slowly dying and rotting away in Nazi death camps. Halo cannot help you heal cancer, but it can help you deal with the time that you have left. Nonetheless, whether it is the best way to spend your time, is another thing. If you feel though like thinking about inevitably upcoming fate is too much, like the sheer thought you will die gets you off the saddle, maybe Halo is a way out to absorb yourself instead.
Fandom abuses this term "cancer". They have no respect for human suffering. The same they can make fun of people slowly dying and rotting away in Nazi death camps. Halo cannot help you heal cancer, but it can help you deal with time that you have left, nonetheless, whether it is the best way to spend your time, is another thing. If you feel though like thinking about inevitably upcoming fate is too much, like the though the you will die gets you off the saddle, maybe Halo is a way out to absorb yourself.
"Help" and "cure" are two completely different things. The ability to ease suffering does not cure it. The ability to ease depression does not cure it.
@MalidorphAidan, that is valid point. There is difference between curing disease and helping to ease the suffering. Halo can help to deal with the suffering through absorbing away the focus, but it cannot cure depression. Instead, lay unbound creativity can actually cure depression, but the question is, how much of that does Halo provide to a tertiary user?

To me, it is all about finding what makes you happy in a way that you could do it for free, without any expectations of profit, but just because you like doing it.
What about the music soundtracks portrayed in some of the games?
Yeah, the track Deference for Darkenss from Halo 3 ODST could definitely cause depression from the sadness.
Technically speaking if you do something that you love - without expecting some imaginary results, especially wanting to impress other people or feeling you have something to prove - Halo could help you to captivate your attention on things you like doing best. Which is good. The problem is, Halo is a game and games are mostly a thing of exploit. You want to get creative, instead. You need to express yourself, artistically. So maybe the Forge function could do that, but again, if you depend too much on what other people tell you or how do they evaluate you, it can even make things worse, as we know gaming world is unnecessarily filled with wonderful creative individuals. It is actually filled with people who are being taught the way to exist is to exploit everyone and everything, because that is how things in games work, that you grind and squeeze and level up and hack and slash until puke. Especially if you want to just hack that depression down, gain perk points, take the loot and move on.

So I would say, go rather something more genuine without practical outcomes in mind. Something to help you organize your thoughts, get to grasp yourself better. Read, like intended reading of choice instead of some random forum stuff or news on the Internet. Educate yourself. Maybe some psychology lectures, something soft enough but constructive. To help you understand better what is going on in a more structured, scientific way of thinking. Maybe meditate. To meditate is just to sit, do nothing but do it on purpose, out of conscious choice. Turn down your TV/PC, find a corner, have some quiet time, just sit there for half an hour or an hour. Try to avoid thinking about all the problems in the world but if you think there is something you need to focus your thoughts on, do it. The trick is to discipline yourself, get familiar with that void when everything is suspended. If you yearn to turn the PC again and whatever else, you do it wrong. This kind of meditating or suspending yourself may help to overcome moments when you feel like everything you do will go very wrong.
Woah man, you really went all out with this one.
Also the death of Rookie could cause depression.
Also the death of Rookie could cause depression.
Please don't post multiple times in a row. You can edit your posts to add information and respond ot more than one person in a single post.
Yeah, the track Deference for Darkenss from Halo 3 ODST could definitely cause depression from the sadness.
Being awesome can't cause mental illness.
There is no end all be all to depression. If someone is suffering from major depressive disorder, dysthymia, or any other emotional disorder, I'd
recommend going to a mental health clinician. Can H treat depression? As an alternative way of doing it, maybe, but definitely not for everyone. As long as it fun, relaxing, and a way to get over hardships, than yes it can be used. I wouldn't recommend anyone try to make it a treatment. Physical exercise, healthy eating, and visiting a mental health clinician are the best choices if you suffer from depression.
Cure? No, distract from it? Yes.
Cure or distract. Either way, Halo helps me in more ways than I can count. It may not be a medical cure but it sure cures my depression when I'm in a dark place.
In my experience... Nope...
No, but it could be a distraction from it.
No, it may help temporarily but in the long term it won't. If someone is depressed they should seek help
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2