Forums / Community / General Discussion

Community question.

OP Venom BCAA

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey all, I'm trying to get a feel for what people like or dislike in the community. I've been playing forever so I have a pretty good idea about a lot of things but I want to hear what more of the broader community has to say. So please, drop whatever you like, or dislike!

I Ion't want this to turn into a "bash" Halo thread though! So be nice please!
I don't think there is much of an answer here, everyone tends to have their own opinions rather than everyone jumping on a bandwagon.
The big ones I can think of is this:

People liked Halo 4's Campaign, but not it's Multiplayer
People liked Halo 5's Multiplayer, but not it's Campaign.
People are mixed about Sprint and Microtransactions/REQSystem in Halo 5.
Most people seem to like black undersuits on spartans.
This one might not be true, but I feel most people like the older art style (which is why Infinite is a spiritual reset) 343i have focused on adding more graphics and poly's because the technology allowed for it, rather than sticking to the big bulky spartan armor of past games.

Everyone's opinions vary and are more complicated, for example, Halo 5's campaign wasn't bad, there was just a lot of stuff in the marketing (like the ARG #HuntForTheTruth(its really good you should go listen to it)) built up so much what the story was gonna be about, and then the game came out and the story had changed a lot. Another example of this, in Halo 4, the Spartan's in Spartan Ops that were in the cut-scenes all the time were supposed to be Fireteam Osiris in Halo 5, but more and more story changing got things kinda out of wack. Not saying I don't like our current Fireteam Osiris, but it shows how things have been jumbled around.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about what people think, I say follow your own heart on these things.
Venom BCAA wrote:
So please, drop whatever you like, or dislike!
What I like:
  • Big Team Battle, especially Heavies
  • Firefight
  • IWHBYD dialog, and Grunt/marine dialog in general
  • Forge
  • Scorpion tanks
  • File share
  • Finding hidden stuff in campaign (skulls, intel, easter eggs)
  • Theater
  • The Locus helmet
  • The goofy-sounding Brutes in Halo Reach
  • Chips Dubbo
  • Different announcers, especially Yabda the Merciless
What I don't like:
  • Halo 5's lack of split-screen
  • Sweaty coordinated nerd teams
  • Host migration (thankfully this is not in Halo 5)
  • Armor lock
  • The Forerunners being retconned to be not humans
  • Halo 5 being designed around trying to get players to purchase lootboxes, to the point that 343 pretty much tried to replace BTB with Warzone
  • All the ugly helmets (Nomad, Venture, Seeker, etc.)
  • Customizable loadouts, especially when the loadout weapons are unlocked from progression, because that goes against the idea of equal starts
  • esports
  • Sound in space in the cutscenes! Science fiction should make an effort to be more realistic than that. Just a pet peeve of mine
  • The Flood
  • Quitters
My #1 thing would be the division in the gameplay mechanics people like. You have your classic lovers and modern lovers, okay, but why you gotta be a jerk to someone just for liking an entry you don't like? Let people enjoy what they enjoy.
Venom BCAA wrote:
So please, drop whatever you like, or dislike!
What I like:
  • Big Team Battle, especially Heavies
  • Firefight
  • IWHBYD dialog, and Grunt/marine dialog in general
  • Forge
  • Scorpion tanks
  • File share
  • Finding hidden stuff in campaign (skulls, intel, easter eggs)
  • Theater
  • The Locus helmet
  • The goofy-sounding Brutes in Halo Reach
  • Chips Dubbo
  • Different announcers, especially Yabda the Merciless
What I don't like:
  • Halo 5's lack of split-screen
  • Sweaty coordinated nerd teams
  • Host migration (thankfully this is not in Halo 5)
  • Armor lock
  • The Forerunners being retconned to be not humans
  • Halo 5 being designed around trying to get players to purchase lootboxes, to the point that 343 pretty much tried to replace BTB with Warzone
  • All the ugly helmets (Nomad, Venture, Seeker, etc.)
  • Customizable loadouts, especially when the loadout weapons are unlocked from progression, because that goes against the idea of equal starts
  • esports
  • Sound in space in the cutscenes! Science fiction should make an effort to be more realistic than that. Just a pet peeve of mine
  • The Flood
  • Quitters
What's wrong with esports, the flood, and sweats? Just curious. Other than that you basically hit it all.
Dislikes: How Halo feels more like a COD shooter nowadays (I just like more bulky style combat...having to unload a whole clip sometimes to bring a dude down. Nowadays its half a clip and a Magnum round)
What i really like is the multiplayer overall, i mean i enjoy it but I really miss Halo 3 ranking/leveling system because too many people are getting easy Champions and high level for almost no effort !

I really would like to see more in detail story to the forerunner, Precursor, Mendicant Bias and Faber the Master builder
What's wrong with esports, the flood, and sweats? Just curious. Other than that you basically hit it all.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. esports is fine, it's just not my thing. However, I'd probably be more interested in it if it had BTB.

As for sweats, I usually solo queue, so it's never fun to run into a big group of spawn trapping, stat padding nerds. I'm not saying they should have to stop playing the way they play, but they should leave me alone and match with other sweats if they do play that way.

It seems like the Flood is generally well-liked, so I wasn't expecting my opinion to be popular on this one, but I didn't find them very fun to fight, especially on levels where they spawn infinitely. My first Halo game was Reach, which didn't have any Flood so I thought Halo was fine without it (at least in terms of gameplay mechanics because I know they're important to the story). But if Halo Infinite brings back the Flood, I won't have a problem with that as long as they aren't too annoying to fight against.
Dislikes: How Halo feels more like a COD shooter nowadays (I just like more bulky style combat...having to unload a whole clip sometimes to bring a dude down. Nowadays its half a clip and a Magnum round)
Gotta agree with this one. I tried playing Call of Duty once, and it was just hide-and-seek with guns, because whoever shoots first wins. I liked Halo because you can have actual gun duels, which take aiming/strafing skills to win.
Well from a campaign standpoint, it's the lore. The universe is rich in knowledge, yet shrouded in mystery, and it's all centered around being a bridge between religion and science. Hunt the Truth, which was the audio series proceeding Halo 5, was a great example of this, and to be honest, I would like more stuff like that to accompany the games. I love the hidden terminals and little tidbits of information you can gather that add to the mystery in game, and I think series like Hunt the Truth really take the story to the next level if done properly.

As for the multiplayer, I think what attracts me the most is the skill gap. You have pretty much symmetrical maps with power weapons and power ups (overshield, camo) and a perfect ttk with the weapon pool, making it a very skill based arena shooter. Then you factor in the trick jumps - something always present in halo, albeit in various fashions, that take that skill gap to the next level. Halo 3 pit and Guardian are great examples of how important mastering these unique jumps are when playing against skilled opponents, and I loved all the unique ways you could move around the maps in Halo 5 to get that competitive advantage (seriously...so many trick jumps in that game).

It's all subjective in the end, but to me, halo MP has always been a game that is played like checkers at its basic level, and like chess at its highest.
I've enjoyed reading these, there's a lot of similarities, and differences as well. It's neat to see that lots of players are drawn in for some of the same aspects.
Is this in Campaign? Because if I remember correctly in CE, the very first Halo game , the magnum was a 3 shot kill. And in the Halo 5 campaign, which I am currently trying to complete on Legendary, it takes more than a clip with the dmr, magnum, br, and ar. The same is true in Heroic.
Is this in Campaign? Because if I remember correctly in CE, the very first Halo game , the magnum was a 3 shot kill. And in the Halo 5 campaign, which I am currently trying to complete on Legendary, it takes more than a clip with the dmr, magnum, br, and ar. The same is true in Heroic.
I'm talking multiplayer. The difficulty changes the damage output and the health bars enemies have when you get harder and harder on campaign.
I'm talking multiplayer. The difficulty changes the damage output and the health bars enemies have when you get harder and harder on campaign.
Well, you never specified the difficulty.
I dislike the spamming mainly, It doesn't benefit the community and To take the time to be particularly un-helpfu 🤦‍♂️
l
I dislike the spamming mainly, It doesn't benefit the community and To take the time to be particularly un-helpfu 🤦‍♂️
l
What do you mean by, "spamming"?
I love mythology and boy does Halo recreates the Greeks and Romans to another extent but has its own twists. I love how they're called Spartans by their predecessors who fought like super soldiers, The Romans. It's great to see all the games and how they play and their story, it just seems great. Halo does inspire creativity to me and I say it has done an excellent job on its game but for me who was used to abilitys and no side thrust unless you had the ability Halo 5 took a while to get used to but decent overall.
Hm I have only watched CE as a child, but ive played reach when it first came out. It felt like there were small groups of aliens rather than a swarm. Especially during the first mission I wish there would have been way more hostiles, but thats just me. Its been a long time since Ive played so I cant wait to play again when it releases on PC. Did anyone feel that way? If not dont hate me lol
Erthrock wrote:
Hm I have only watched CE as a child, but ive played reach when it first came out. It felt like there were small groups of aliens rather than a swarm. Especially during the first mission I wish there would have been way more hostiles, but thats just me. Its been a long time since Ive played so I cant wait to play again when it releases on PC. Did anyone feel that way? If not dont hate me lol
Yeah I agree the earlier missions in reach had a slower build-up of enemies. They made up for it in the last mission though.
XD
I love mythology and boy does Halo recreates the Greeks and Romans to another extent but has its own twists. I love how they're called Spartans by their predecessors who fought like super soldiers, The Romans. It's great to see all the games and how they play and their story, it just seems great. Halo does inspire creativity to me and I say it has done an excellent job on its game but for me who was used to abilitys and no side thrust unless you had the ability Halo 5 took a while to get used to but decent overall.
Yeah the mythology is great, especially when it comes to the names of armor sets and things like that. It might take a quick Google search but it's usually pretty interesting. I'm curious to see what happens as far as abilities go in Infinite.
I like Halo CE, 2, 3 and ODST a lot more than any of the games that came after. I'm hoping my computer can run the MCC when it comes to PC because I would love to play some Halo 3 matchmaking again.

I like making commentary videos and montages for fun. I recently made a new youtube channel to share old gameplay videos with my friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCpVEN-12qo&t=5s

I love playing BTB, but I also like playing MLG.

I dislike the DMR in Reach, and the Bolt Shot in 4. Also I didn't like how the DMR tended to overpower all the other core weapons in 4 either. But it wasn't a deal-breaker.

I hate getting killed by warthogs but I love killing warthogs so that evens out.

I love the Chopper and really like the Ghost.

I could keep going but I think I'll just stop there.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2