Forums / Community / General Discussion

Could a 3rd person Halo work?

OP Hot Chili Fries

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'd be fine if they gave players the option to play in 3rd-person but with two very important limitations:
  1. You cannot switch from first to third-person with the touch of a button. You must access the menu in order to swap views. It should not become a gameplay feature, but rather a method of customisation to suit personal preference. In addition, the default should be first-person for an immersive Halo experience.
  2. There is no motion tracker in third-person. With the advantages third-person adds by opening up a wider view for the character to see nearby enemies, they should have the motion tracker taken away to counteract this.
I would disagree with the idea, since halo, excluding halo wars, has always been a FPS game. I would only find it acceptable if 3rd person would apply to vehicles and turrets, as it always has. I could see a 3rd person perspective, as an option for a custom game, but I would want everyone who is in that custom game to have a 3rd person perspective.
The Halo universe is so big, I can’t think of many genres which would not work in Halo in some way or another.
My thoughts, exactly. The universe is so big, it seems like anything is possible at this point.
I'd be fine if they gave players the option to play in 3rd-person but with two very important limitations:
  1. You cannot switch from first to third-person with the touch of a button. You must access the menu in order to swap views. It should not become a gameplay feature, but rather a method of customisation to suit personal preference. In addition, the default should be first-person for an immersive Halo experience.
  2. There is no motion tracker in third-person. With the advantages third-person adds by opening up a wider view for the character to see nearby enemies, they should have the motion tracker taken away to counteract this.
You made some interesting points, but I would like to complement:

1. I think it should be a gameplay feature (like in Battlefront). Halo in third person would look like Mass Effect. I just would keep this feature exclusive to campaign and warzone, but not the competitive arena.

2. About the motion tracker... I agree with you. But do you think this should be applied to campaign too?
festavares wrote:
You made some interesting points, but I would like to complement:

1. I think it should be a gameplay feature (like in Battlefront). Halo in third person would look like Mass Effect. I just would keep this feature exclusive to campaign and warzone, but not the competitive arena.

2. About the motion tracker... I agree with you. But do you think this should be applied to campaign too?
3rd person would have to be the entire game. We already have so many first person Halo games, so creating a first person mode would be senseless, especially since the game would focus on 3rd person oriented gameplay. It's my unpopular opinion that rockstar should have never made first person modes at all for their games because games like Red Dead and GTA just don't feel right in first person. An option to view the horizon in first person is fine, but to do everything else in first person ? Nah.
Third person would work very well! In Reach Noble 6 was your customized mp spartan and seeing this in cutscenes was cool. I think it would be even better looking to see in 3rd person for the whole game, but that's just my thoughts.
festavares wrote:
1. I think it should be a gameplay feature (like in Battlefront). Halo in third person would look like Mass Effect.
Without being blunt, you just named two reasons it shouldn't be a gameplay feature.
Has nobody seen my post? https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/rvb-project-freelancer-video-game/9937989b-9bcb-41c4-aecf-e064fbcf3719/posts?page=1
Maybe it could be with the Forerunners, since it's near impossible to know what they were nearly thinking. XD

Joking aside, I think it could work with a species that isn't human, like the Forerunners. You could have a basic soldier be the main character, and have the events of the Forerunner trilogy in the background as the overall story. Seeing the Forerunners at their peak is something most fans would be interested to see (I think).
You could start off with the Human-Forerunner war, then go to the Forerunner-Flood war, and then end with the activation of Halo. Easy story to follow.
I still hold out hope for a 3rd person Halo RPG game.
Third person could work but I think the main games should stay FPS. Spinoffs are another story I think a halo rpg that’s third person would be fantastic.
I think if 343 did another ODST game but made it tactical you could sneak some 3rd person gameplay elements. Maybe go the Ghost Recon style route or maybe the Rainbow Six Vegas style where you switch from first to third when in and out of cover.
Maybe you could switch between third person and first person!
It would just be really hard to keep that halo vibe with such a different play style
I have no issues with the option of 3rd person view, I would prefer it. I have always preferred 3rd person games, but it needs to be an option, not everyone likes 3rd person and some don't mind it but prefer 1st person, I'm the opposite, I don't mind 1st person but I prefer 3rd person. It would be great to have the choice.
Just turn the shotgun into the Gansher and take the Gears Of War movement and it would be perfect
I'm still dreaming of a Tomb Raider style action/adventure game set in the Halo universe with shooting, stealth, an maybe some puzzle solving.
Plain and simple: no.
I could see it happening with a spin off type game.
I would love a third person halo game, especially so you could see your awesome spartan armor in gameplay. Plus, some third person games like dead space, gears of war, and mass effect work really well.
Call of duty Mw2 did it for a game mode (3rd person team tactical) and I loved it.
I was hoping Master Chief would be the guest character in X360 version of Lost Planet 2, because I've always liked the idea of a Halo third-person game.

Here's an idea I like for a third-person shooter Halo.

A Gears of War style shooter about the Brutes Voridus and Pavium, as they go on missions for Atriox and get into all sorts of trouble. Cover based, roadie rush, and all. I don't want to fight humans though, so it has to be about fighting Covenant and hopefully new alien enemies.

Perhaps it could be about them trying to find a new transport off the Ark, and they discover something more ancient then the Forerunners, and potentially more dangerous, with big consequences for the whole galaxy.

Bring back Choppers and Prowlers and Brute weapons from Halo 3.

So basically Gears of War with Brutes.

EDIT Mar 10 2019: With splitscreen and offline LAN for co-op, of course!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3