Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Could UNSC today be able to save Reach back then?

OP SectionUnity

Take the UNSC today, outfitted with Mammoths, Spartan IVs, the UNSC Infinity, and any new UNSC Weaponry/Arsenal after the war. Could all of that be enough to protect Reach?
Possibly as they now have the Infinity and the more important battles will be in space.
I'm sure Reach would have a better fighting chance with Infinity on their side, I mean that's a massive boost right there. But I think the biggest question is, can they overcome that massive force the Covenant threw at them. Might just inevitable that Reach was going to fall in the end.

All I know is, it would'v been a hell of a fight to witness/experience as a character in the game if it happened.
The Covenant was always technologically superior. Humanity was just playing catch-up. There is a chance that with the Infinity the UNSC would have crippled the Covenant fleet that arrived, but they launched a full scale assault on the planet. Many Spartan's who were designed and trained for war from an early age fell. Spartan-IV's would not have stood a chance.
If the chief was on the ground fighting the good fight, he would have found a way to win and save Reach. Chief always finds a way to win.
Spoiler:
Show
Tfu12 wrote:
I'm sure Reach would have a better fighting chance with Infinity on their side, I mean that's a massive boost right there. But I think the biggest question is, can they overcome that massive force the Covenant threw at them. Might just inevitable that Reach was going to fall in the end.

All I know is, it would'v been a hell of a fight to witness/experience as a character in the game if it happened.
From a UNSC scaling video, I saw the Infinity was no where near the size of the Covenant's Long Night of Solace. Even with the ship destroyed, it still representantes the mass of the Covenant forces even more so after their reinforcements. I too wish to see a more standable UNSC fleet actually feel threatening against the Covenant!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Tfu12 wrote:

From a UNSC scaling video, I saw the Infinity was no where near the size of the Covenant's Long Night of Solace. Even with the ship destroyed, it still representantes the mass of the Covenant forces even more so after their reinforcements. I too wish to see a more standable UNSC fleet actually feel threatening against the Covenant!
According to the wiki, USNC Infinity is 5.694. Long Night of Solace is 28.960 kilometers long. That's 5 times as long. Yeah I think the outcome would be the same.

I guess the Covenant was made to reflect the fact some species from far far away is still light years ahead of humans in terms of technology. But we definitely didn't go down without a fight.
I think the Covenant would still win, but the Covenant would have took more significant loses.
The only way to change the course of history or in this case Reach would be not just the technology but also the UNSC would had to have thrown literally everything into the defense of Reach essentially leaving Earth defenseless and we know the UNSC wouldn’t have left Earth.
The UNSC of today would have intimate knowledge and intel about the Covenant. They would know fully what they were up against and could plan accordingly. Throughout the Covenant War, the UNSC was constantly playing catch up because they really didn't know all that much about their enemy aside from what they witnessed as they lost battle after battle. Knowing their enemy alone would have been a massive game changer.

That's not even getting into the technological advancements. The UNSC during the Covenant War didn't have very good FTL capabilities relative to their enemy. If a battle was happening, reinforcements wouldn't arrive until long after the fight was over. Now that the UNSC has the ability to get to the battle much faster, Reach would have likely seen far more reinforcements far more quickly that could have completely turned the tide in the battle.

The UNSC had one major advantage over the Covenant: ground game. The UNSC was superior when fighting on the ground, but most of the Covenant War was fought in space. Now that the UNSC has caught up on the space front, I think the UNSC at Reach would have more than a fighting chance compared to what ended up happening.
The UNSC of today would have intimate knowledge and intel about the Covenant. They would know fully what they were up against and could plan accordingly. Throughout the Covenant War, the UNSC was constantly playing catch up because they really didn't know all that much about their enemy aside from what they witnessed as they lost battle after battle. Knowing their enemy alone would have been a massive game changer.

That's not even getting into the technological advancements. The UNSC during the Covenant War didn't have very good FTL capabilities relative to their enemy. If a battle was happening, reinforcements wouldn't arrive until long after the fight was over. Now that the UNSC has the ability to get to the battle much faster, Reach would have likely seen far more reinforcements far more quickly that could have completely turned the tide in the battle.

The UNSC had one major advantage over the Covenant: ground game. The UNSC was superior when fighting on the ground, but most of the Covenant War was fought in space. Now that the UNSC has caught up on the space front, I think the UNSC at Reach would have more than a fighting chance compared to what ended up happening.
Haha lol im not talking about time travel. I mean if they had the arsenal of the present in the past, could they succeed.

Haha lol im not talking about time travel. I mean if they had the arsenal of the present in the past, could they succeed.
I'm not talking about time travel either. Though it seems I misunderstood your question. If you're just referring to a simple technology comparison, then I still think the UNSC would have a better than fair chance of winning.
No.

In short, Reach's Fall was inevitable due to the sheer number of Covenant attacking. The UNSC has more firepower now but that'd just allow them to inflict more Covenant casualties, not save the planet.
I guess it would depend on how the battle starts. The Covenant completely took the UNSC by surprise, and it was already too late before UNSC reinforcements even arrived. Now if a large enough portion of the UNSC's current assets were already in place and expecting the Covenant, then the UNSC should have a greater chance to at least not lose. Spartan IVs will greatly help with the defense of oribital MAC guns and their power generators, freeing up more Spartan II&IIIs for offensive operations. Due to preparation, more UNSC nuclear weapons will survive along with the vessels carrying them instead of being shot down almost right after the battle breaks out, giving us more options to return fire. Civilians can be preemptively evacuated so UNSC forces can fight without restraints. But if the Covenant still covertly establishes presence like they did in the current timeline, then no I don't think modern assets can effectively tip the scale.
Also remember the UNSC of today has nowhere near the ship size of the Covenant Fleet. Covenant losing 500 ships after first strike wasn't even a problem or losing most of the Fleet of Particular Justice didn't phase them either.
I think if you're talking about H4-5 UNSC, there's a good probability. Infinite UNSC? Looks like they'd be no better off than the UNSC of 2552. But in the wake of the true H/C War, humanity had a major military-industrial windfall. While the fallout factions of the Covenant splintered into smaller and smaller fuedal groups, humanity largely enjoyed the continued sense of unity and solidarity that the H/C War gave them, as well as a few key alliances with former Covenant agents.

The Spartan IV Program and its insane number of advances and iterations on MJOLNIR would mean that there would be countless additional Spartans, outfitted with very advanced weapons and armor, to stand in defense of Reach on the ground and, more importantly, during the sorts of daring boarding actions that Blue and Noble Teams have repeatedly demonstrated to be the real tide-turners in war against the H/C Era Covenant.

Add to that the phenomenal advancements made in spacefaring and combat capabilities and you've got an extraordinarily well equipped UNSC that is ramped up, arguably specifically, to deal with precisely the kind of threats that were the most damaging in the H/C War. I think that the UNSC circa 2556-2558 would have excellent prospects against the Covenant fleet that destroyed Reach.

I'd argue that the reasons the UNSC seems to have been laid low once again in Infinite come from factors quite different than the original Covenant's strategies for domination; The Created seem to have severely hobbled the UNSC's supply line and tactical interconnectedness through infiltration and subterfuge, and the Banished are a more subversive and (if it can be believed) ruthless enemy than the conventional Covenant were, far more suited to winning the ground game that the Covenant always lagged behind in. Combining these factors does seem to have taken the UNSC down to a major degree, but I'd again say that these threats are quite distinct from the tactics that were used to destroy Reach, and that the Reclaimer-Era UNSC would be very well equipped to dispatch those older types of threats, if for no other reason than for having been exposed to and burned by the Covenant's traditional warpath before.
Colt282 wrote:
No.

In short, Reach's Fall was inevitable due to the sheer number of Covenant attacking. The UNSC has more firepower now but that'd just allow them to inflict more Covenant casualties, not save the planet.
Yeah the numbers game still gets them. Even at the fall of reach the UNSC had half the fleet the covenant did. Infinity is powerful yes but there's no impression the UNSC actually has a fleet size comparable to what it did at the time.

Even if we're just talking tech level, the UNSC would still end up out numbered. The UNSC would have to play incredibly smart to best the invaders. Presumably the covenant would also fight smarter instead of being so confident in their tech advantage.
I would say yes they probably could of saved reach now.
It would have been a more even fight, at the very least.