Forums / Community / General Discussion

Do you think the pros know what best for Halo?

OP AHandfulOfBeans

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
what is to say any of us know what is best for halo? they just go on a big screen and get monies for wining we play because we love halo
HaXoR73 wrote:
Honestly speaking, it's all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo $@#(&! when it comes to this stuff. The self-entitlement of pros who claim to have played Halo more than anyone else and think their opinion overrules everything else is plain ridiculous. There has to be a medium where both pros and casuals can agree on without citing too much friction between them.

Bonus: Aozolai's opinions on pros and casuals in Halo
I continue to be surprised at the fact that so many seem to be lost by the fact that his tweet was a reference to the Greenskull video. At least that is how it seemed to me. I was on twitter minutes after that video came out. I watched the video, and then some time later that day Tom Taylor made the tweet. I keep saying that people are taking it way too seriously, and drawing it way out of proportion. I thought it was funny. I am a casual player. I didn't and won't ever think that a pro player is going to convince 343i to cater every aspect of Halo to their opinion of what Halo should be. I doubt that's what he was thinking either. I think there is way too much sensitivity in regards to this.

The Aozolai video is a case in point. How does he and others not understand all this is about is the pro playlist? I doubt most of the pros could care less about the campaign and whatnot. They are too busy playing 12 hours a day playing on the same maps over and over trying to perfect their game.

I have really taken issue with that Aozolai video, and the one after that which it is basically click bait with the title insinuating he is apologizing...but lo and behold he doesn't. He is just reinforcing his "-Yoink- YOU!" to Tom and others who agree with him. How is that helpful to our community? Well, it's not.

In my opinion he has exacerbated an issue that he could have helped with. Instead he wants to look like a big man, and prove he doesn't care if he pisses people off, but in turn he has allowed his ego to interfere with what we really need. We need a good discussion to come out of this. Not further division. The Wpns Grade video does a much better job of that, and what is even more of a travesty is that his video has so much less views. More kids want to hear a guy trash talk pro players, and work to divide the community for views rather than help the community to come together and work towards a better Halo.

Because of all this I will be buying the Str8 Rippin skins, and I had not planned on buying any pro skins to begin with, and unsubscribing to Aozolai.
Didn't watch the video, but a lot of competitive people were critical of T2's tweet as well. It doesn't look good and all it did was strengthen the opinions of people who already see competitive players in a bad light.
Chimera30 wrote:
It seems as though if 343 Caters too much to the pros, future Halo titles will be too sweaty like Halo 5. If they cater too much to the casuals, Halo will be as casual as Halo 4. What do you guys think?
The pro's don't know what's best for Halo. Any professional who does, is foolish. Bungie did things right be catering to all gamers. They knew of the competitive/professional scene and provided a playlist and updates for their events/tournaments but focus was on the general population. Bringing gamers back every weekend to continue playing. Releasing quality content and achievements with DLC. 343 focuses far too much on the competitive scene and, I feel, continues to alienate the Halo Community that doesn't fall under the "competitive" category
By quality content in DLC, I assume you're referring to Map packs (the DLC model of all Halos before the REQ system)? There were many who did not like map packs because of how they split the player base. Those who didn't purchase the packs were locked out of certain popular playlists that got the new maps put into rotation.
I am referring to the Map packs. The map packs sure seemed to work fine up until the late stages in Halo Reach. Bungie would have a playlist dedicated to the new maps then took it down after some time making the newer achievements almost impossible to earn. I never heard complaints about the map packs. They were a small price to pay for great, high quality and it kept players coming back and had them stay for a while too. Remember the hunt for Recon? Earning those achievements and earning 7 EXP on Cold Storage? I think the old Map Packs worked much better than the current REQ system.
You don't get maps in REQ packs.....
No, you don't, but the quality of content we got from the Map Packs was better than free maps and everything else tossed into a REQ system
I don't think there's the cause and effect relationship you're reaching for here.....
The bottom line is that the pro's don't know whats best. Bungie always recognized that there was a professional scene and provided a playlist and MLG support but NEVER based Halo on the competitive scene. There was a healthy balance between casual and competitive. That's what the focus needs to be on.

Also, if the pro's "know best" then why would 343 waste the time implementing other weapons into multiplayer when only a select few are ever used in competitive play?
Chimera30 wrote:
It seems as though if 343 Caters too much to the pros, future Halo titles will be too sweaty like Halo 5. If they cater too much to the casuals, Halo will be as casual as Halo 4. What do you guys think?
The pro's don't know what's best for Halo. Any professional who does, is foolish. Bungie did things right be catering to all gamers. They knew of the competitive/professional scene and provided a playlist and updates for their events/tournaments but focus was on the general population. Bringing gamers back every weekend to continue playing. Releasing quality content and achievements with DLC. 343 focuses far too much on the competitive scene and, I feel, continues to alienate the Halo Community that doesn't fall under the "competitive" category
By quality content in DLC, I assume you're referring to Map packs (the DLC model of all Halos before the REQ system)? There were many who did not like map packs because of how they split the player base. Those who didn't purchase the packs were locked out of certain popular playlists that got the new maps put into rotation.
I am referring to the Map packs. The map packs sure seemed to work fine up until the late stages in Halo Reach. Bungie would have a playlist dedicated to the new maps then took it down after some time making the newer achievements almost impossible to earn. I never heard complaints about the map packs. They were a small price to pay for great, high quality and it kept players coming back and had them stay for a while too. Remember the hunt for Recon? Earning those achievements and earning 7 EXP on Cold Storage? I think the old Map Packs worked much better than the current REQ system.
No, you don't, but the quality of content we got from the Map Packs was better than free maps and everything else tossed into a REQ system
I don't think there's the cause and effect relationship you're reaching for here.....
The bottom line is that the pro's don't know whats best. Bungie always recognized that there was a professional scene and provided a playlist and MLG support but NEVER based Halo on the competitive scene. There was a healthy balance between casual and competitive. That's what the focus needs to be on.

Also, if the pro's "know best" then why would 343 waste the time implementing other weapons into multiplayer when only a select few are ever used in competitive play?
I don't know.

My post solely had to do with the fact that I don't think there is the cause and effect relationship between REQ packs and the quality of Halo 5's free map packs that you seem to be implying.
Chimera30 wrote:

I don't know.

My post solely had to do with the fact that I don't think there is the cause and effect relationship between REQ packs and the quality of Halo 5's free map packs that you seem to be implying.
Fair point. I guess I digressed. My bad
It is a very difficult matter. The pros of the game are very expert veterans on much of its gameplay and their opinion counts a big deal. But its also important to tale in the opinions of the casuals as well. Because as good as the pros are...most of them, if not a considerable number of pros are pretty much toxic players as well, since they are better than others, they think it gives them the right to be a very unpleseant person and attack anyone they want whemever they want through bullying or other methods.

If its too pro the next game, then therws no fun for casuals or even steady players.
If its too casual, the pros wont like it and a lot of population will drop.
Best thing they can do is simply hear a leveled and equal quantity of comments from casuals and pros. And keep separated servers like Halo 5's.
Let's put it this way.

Pros know what is best for pros. Casuals know what is best for casuals. And the new beginners have no idea what they're in for if they try the competitive playlists before trying out the casual social playlists.

Let's try another route. Casuals are where most people begin and get into the groove. Pros are the players who have gotten into a groove and know how to mop the floor with everyone.

Halo works best when it provides for all types of players, such as including both casual and competitive playlists for people to choose from, as it does currently.

Also, Grifball is one of the best game types ever made. Period.

I think that should suffice.
There is 3 important point that pro's and casual shouldn't have power over with.

1: Map design
Instead it should be map layout not thr design of a map.

2: Game mode that are added or removed.
Its up to 343i to decide what game mode they want not pro and casual player.

3: Changing for the sake of changing.
To many playlist have been in and out. And its anoying. At this point Halo 5 is more of an experiment then a game that know what it is.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3