Forums / Community / General Discussion

Does 343i only care about feedback that they like?

OP PlumperPizza

Lately I've been fearing that the feedback that people put up is being ignored by 343i in favor of feedback they like for one reason or another. I recently discovered a forum that promoted playable elites in Halo 4 and 5, with considerable traction: few thousand replies if I recall correctly, look how that turned out. Plus, I didn't even see a response from 343i on that post. Moving to the present, we recently got an update for Halo: Reach that removed recoil from getting shot or something, because appearantly pc players didn't like it. I'm sure someone wanted this changed and that is fair, but I played Halo: Reach pc without ever realizing such a mechanic existed. We still have no update on altering DMR starts, something I have seen requested on all manner of forums. From what I can tell, 343i removed a lesser, 360 version mechanic, rather than altering the widely scrutinized DMR starts, something that 343i added to Halo: Reach. Not to mention that 343i never responds to any feedback provided on the appropriate forums. I really want be proven wrong on this suspicision. What do you think?
It may have been a thing they noticed on their own and fixed. I can see your point, but changing recoil is a lot easier than adding playabe elites to reach.
As a developer it's important to listen to feedback but you can't just act on everything. You still have to decide what you think would be good or not, and in some cases even if there is something they want to change they can't.
They probably discuss negative and positive feedback during team meetings. I use to have a job at a factory creating products and we used our weekly meetings to discuss what our clients were saying about the merchandise. I’m sure it’s not too different than any other workplace where you create. Obviously a company won’t disclose everything they talk about behind closed doors. Sometimes a company will ignore some feedback if they believe it isn’t even compatible with their vision.
There could be a variety of reasons why 343i does or does not implement feedback, their time and resources are not infinite so they could be looking at what fixes would be the most beneficial and the most feasible for them.

They also receive mass amounts of feedback that isn't the most constructive, well-reasoned, or objective. If fans really want to be heard, they should put forth feedback that is compelling to the reader, feedback that displays a well-rounded perspective, and feedback illustrated in a respectable manner.

I am sure 343i is wise enough to understand that they will get hate no matter what they do, fans will always complain about something. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are doing a poor job when all circumstances are considered. Designing video games isn't easy.
Thanks for lending me your thoughts. After looking over them and thinking over the whole thing, I've come to realize that my original fear was very overzealous and that although 343i may not make the best decisions to my eyes sometimes, it is good that they have this forum in the first place. Thank you all so much for helping me come to this realization.
As a developer it's important to listen to feedback but you can't just act on everything. You still have to decide what you think would be good or not, and in some cases even if there is something they want to change they can't.
Exactly. If 343 spent all of their time responding to every single bit of feedback, nothing would ever get done. They're listening to everyone's feedback, they're just not responding to everything.
Well, they aren't beholden to react and respond to all feedback they receive, as others have said. I do think they've been less than super receptive to negative feedback on a number of occasions since they've taken the reigns of the franchise, though.

I certainly think they shy away from the harsher and more overtly negative responses to their decisions. To some extent, this is only natural, and it's quite justifiable in many cases where mostly negative feedback is given by way of inane rambling rants filled with poorly substantiated "arguments," against how they've done things without any constructive intent.

However, I think if 343i wants to win back a lot of lapsed players, they'd do well to pay close attention to negative feedback given with a helpful and constructive attitude. Probably closer attention than they've paid to it so far. Of course, we can all help by putting forward negative feedback with a less harshly critical edge.
Kalamari wrote:
There could be a variety of reasons why 343i does or does not implement feedback, their time and resources are not infinite so they could be looking at what fixes would be the most beneficial and the most feasible for them.

They also receive mass amounts of feedback that isn't the most constructive, well-reasoned, or objective. If fans really want to be heard, they should put forth feedback that is compelling to the reader, feedback that displays a well-rounded perspective, and feedback illustrated in a respectable manner.

I am sure 343i is wise enough to understand that they will get hate no matter what they do, fans will always complain about something. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are doing a poor job when all circumstances are considered. Designing video games isn't easy.
This is a great response. You must work for 343. If not, you're certainly a leader in the community.
rukizzel wrote:
Kalamari wrote:

This is a great response. You must work for 343. If not, you're certainly a leader in the community.
Alt account I assume. Banning now.
rukizzel wrote:
Kalamari wrote:

Alt account I assume. Banning now.
On it!
Hmm, all four of you have the Donut Bringer badge. Same person confirmed!
Updating and making changes is a difficult thing, and implementing something new might alienate others. Not only that, but adding some things, like playable elites, may not have been possible. That being said, I think 343i is doing a great job of listening to the community feedback recently. I recently found an update post from 343i that addressed most of the community issues, and said they were investigating them.
I know 343 does listen based on the Warlord achievement for Halo 5. It was buggy since launch and there were a lot of theories on how to unlock it as well as a lot of people looking for help on the support forums. Back in the summer months(I think) 343 was looking for specific info and to the best of my knowledge the achievement was fixed based on that info.
Absolutely not. Many monitors and Admins on here disagree with them about certain things. Ive gotten plenty of Quotes from them calling out me, you just don't see it a lot.