Forums / Community / General Discussion

Everyone says Bungie left halo.

OP la6y

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Everyone says that Bungie left halo its not true.
Bungie didn't want to keep making Halo games. They wanted to do more, but under Microsoft, they were only allowed to work on Halo. So Bungie fulfilled their contract and left Microsoft. They didn't abandon Halo or leave it.
Since Microsoft owned Halo, Bungie had to give it up in order to achieve that goal. Therefore, 343 Industries was created to continue the game. It's not like Bungie wanted to give up Halo, they just had to choose between finally becoming independent or renew their contract to keep making Halo games.

mod edit: moved to General Discussion
So, Bungie left Halo. I mean you're right but what other phrase would suffice?

Bungie traded Halo?
Bungie bailed?
Bungie made a deal to become independent and the deal meant Microsoft had full ownership of Halo?
They didn’t want to keep making Halo games. So regardless of whether or not they would have hung on to the IP based on ownership, they left Halo to make other games. If they owned it, they would have left it alone in a drawer somewhere. MS owns the rights to Halo, so Bungie left Halo for Destiny and, by extension, Microsoft for Activision as well.

I get what you’re saying, but it’s all a matter of how words are perceived. Bottom line is that they wanted to make other games. It’s better that we got a dedicated company like 343i to work on Halo rather than have Bungie be forced to do something they didn’t want to.
la6y wrote:
Bungie didn't want to keep making Halo games. They wanted to do more, but under Microsoft, they were only allowed to work on Halo. So Bungie fulfilled their contract and left Microsoft. They didn't abandon Halo or leave it.
Since Microsoft owned Halo, Bungie had to give it up in order to achieve that goal. Therefore, 343 Industries was created to continue the game. It's not like Bungie wanted to give up Halo, they just had to choose between finally becoming independent or renew their contract to keep making Halo games.
This is about 8 years too late.Bungie didnt wanna keep making halo games and did their own thing with destiny and they have a lot less clout because of it
la6y wrote:
This is about 8 years too late.Bungie didnt wanna keep making halo games and did their own thing with destiny and they have a lot less clout because of it
It's almost as if he's a time travelling apologist from 2011. 🤔
*Proceeds to get Vietnam style Halo Reach flashbacks*
I've heard that many of Bungie's people just transferred over to 343 so in that sense I guess Bungie didn't leave Halo.
I've heard that many of Bungie's people just transferred over to 343 so in that sense I guess Bungie didn't leave Halo.
That was a common misconception.If I recall correctly the amount of people who left bungie and joined 343 could be counted on one hand
That was a common misconception.If I recall correctly the amount of people who left bungie and joined 343 could be counted on one hand
This is correct, barely anyone came across. Over the years more have left, some have come back and I think even a Bungie employee or 2 may have joined 343 at some point.
They could've done what they're doing now and work on another game with a different publisher. I think they were just tired of making Halo games and knew Microsoft was going to milk the -Yoink- out of it while slowly degrading the quality and passion. Now that's happening with Destiny and Activision lol
la6y wrote:
That's fair but I bet that Bungie regrets the decision. At the very least, they regret partnering with Activision. I can completely understand how a company wants to be free to do whatever they want but I think partnering with Activision really ruin their ultimate plans. With that being said:
stckrboy wrote:
This is correct, barely anyone came across. Over the years more have left, some have come back and I think even a Bungie employee or 2 may have joined 343 at some point.
You're absolutely right. I believe Frank O'Connor was one of the big names that's been around, for as long as I can remember, that came over to 343 Industries to continue working on Halo content. I was under the impression, for a long time, that a bunch of people transferred over. I was very much wrong.
They did leave Halo. They chose to leave it behind. Microsoft made a deal with them to allow them to break away into an independent studio rather than being owned by Microsoft. Part of that deal was that Microsoft would retain all the rights to Halo. Bungie still decided to leave as they wanted to make other games besides Halo. They wanted to leave Halo behind if it meant making other games, so they did. They chose to.
They could've done what they're doing now and work on another game with a different publisher. I think they were just tired of making Halo games and knew Microsoft was going to milk the -Yoink- out of it while slowly degrading the quality and passion. Now that's happening with Destiny and Activision lol
Then Activision says Forsaken DLC(Which was really fun btw) was a total failure despite it essentially making Destiny 2 fun and something I enjoyed just like how they said BO4 was a failure as well essentially encouraging the development of money grabbing games.I'm just enjoying Destiny 2 and pray Activision dosen't force Bungie to kill the fun.
JohannDB wrote:
Then Activision says Forsaken DLC(Which was really fun btw) was a total failure despite it essentially making Destiny 2 fun and something I enjoyed just like how they said BO4 was a failure as well essentially encouraging the development of money grabbing games.I'm just enjoying Destiny 2 and pray Activision dosen't force Bungie to kill the fun.
I feel like Destiny could've been a hugely loved and healthy franchise if Activision wasn't the publisher.
Did Microsoft really deny Bungie to make other games?

And they partnered with Activision of all companies! So now its going to be a load of Destiny games until Bungie will grow tired of that too.
I feel I must ask, does it really matter what phrasing is used? Bungie is no longer working on Halo in any capacity.

It doesn't matter if they left, if they were canned, if they went bankrupt, etc right?

Perhaps I'm being overly cynical but my inner Spock is raising an eyebrow.
Did Microsoft really deny Bungie to make other games?
No, but Bungie at the time was under contract to make 5 games so they had to honour that
Bottom line is Bungie did leave Halo. And with it their community.
"They didn't leave Halo guys! They actually just left Halo!"
What's done is done and the last 2 games bungie made weren't as good as the first 3.They were tired of making halo games so they didnt renew the contract
la6y wrote:
That's fair but I bet that Bungie regrets the decision. At the very least, they regret partnering with Activision. I can completely understand how a company wants to be free to do whatever they want but I think partnering with Activision really ruin their ultimate plans. With that being said:
stckrboy wrote:
Activision pairing with them was a blessing on their end so I don't see the issue.

They're making more money than they did with Halo, they still enjoy working on destiny even with Activision and they've only expanded further as a company (they're huge now, they're getting to the point where they'll be able to do multiple games at once which rumors suggest is soon to happen and they just got into the Chinese market). I despise the destiny franchise as I see it as a lie to what it originally was going to be🤷 but they make so much in sales and their game sits in the top 10 most played list that I can't put them down even if I despise it, they're success has been so great that they can get by with a few upset fans. They've had hiccups but the Activision pairing has only benefited them.

@OP: bungie left, if they really wanted to keep doing Halo, they'd still be doing it. They wanted to do other things, so they got what they wanted, there's no other way to say it really.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2