Forums / Community / General Discussion

Fanboy Trends and a Fix to the Halo Community

OP BriefingData09

I will start this by saying that I love halo. I even like 4 and 5 despite my many complaints and critiques of them on the forums. People need to realize that there is this lemming like following of game reviews as time progresses. This is the trend:

• Pre-Release: Hype season, tons of support and excitement, be aware of the term "best of the series yet" and "will this revive the series??", some dissenters with warning videos on youtube (no one cares).
  • 6 or so months post-Release: The fanboys are silenced and a large overall hate of the game grows as media critics continue to throw the game out the window. Large drop-out in playtime.
  • 1 year+: Re-evaluation and a multitude of patches that are or aren't necessary create a mediocre assessment of the game. Following of the game stays a bit steady.
  • Release of the sequel: The game is once again trash and inferior to the newest model.
  • Post-release of the sequel: Generally, as the time goes on the new game starts to receive the hate the 1st one did and the old game is now liked again to a degree.
I point this out to bring it to all your minds that we should appreciate the good, critique the bad, and try to promote playing halo. I distinctly remember how much hate Halo Reach and 4 got at their release. Now generally people realize despite some flaws in campaign or multiplayer, they are both solid games in their own regard.

Now i'm not saying that we shouldn't re-evaluate old games, or dislike broken aspects of the games. However, I wish Halo fans here would realize that despite differences between games, you shouldn't listen to every YouTube critique you here. I would also like to say that this whole structure is what makes Halo fans the most irritating to listen to (me included) because we all know we're superior to cod and battlefield, therefore we must be superior in our own right to other Halo fans.

Now, I would propose that instead of hating on any one of the games, or halo fans who like one of those games the most; we group together to support Halo as a whole. The Bungie fanboys that hate on all the new don't help, and the 343 fanboys that worship the new ones only don't help either (343 fanboys exist? lol). But what i'm getting at is that we need to stop in-fighting and instead fight against the fps games that are actually trash (looking at you cod). Hating on someone for liking Halo 4 or 5 over others, needs to stop because it doesn't help the community cooperate or 343 in getting accurate opinions of their games. We should all really be supporting 343 and what they're doing as they control Halo's future and we want that to be the best future possible.

In the end, don't get caught up over the fanboy's opinions of each game. Support each other, support 343, and support Halo.
Keep the hate focused on cod lol :)
The trends you speak of are so true. Barring Halo 1 and Halo 3, all Halo games have hit that cycle.

We do need to be positive overall. I just feel that most AAA games, not just Halo, are really conforming to Micro-transactions. It is a smart business move, unfortunately, as it is making a TON of money. It's hard to avoid an artificial grind these days. Quantity is taking over quality, any 'non-MT-game-mode' is being phoned in.

I will always love Halo. This is the most skeptic I've ever been, though.
It would help if 343 could figure out what they were going to do. They're going to have to decide exactly what they want to go for, even if that's independent of the opinions of fans who prefer 'original' or 'new'. As it is right now, I feel like a lot of the problems are risen from the fact that they aren't solid in what they're going for.

Although personally, I also wish the newer Halo games had a lot of the bonus features that the originals had, even though I know Halo games barely have enough time to develop the core features these days. (Things like campaign theater, a proper, separate firefight mode, full customization, etc.) As well as a few quality-related things; such as vehicles not despawning right in front of you mere seconds after they're destroyed. It's really the small stuff that counts sometimes.
I point this out to bring it to all your minds that we should appreciate the good, critique the bad, and try to promote playing halo.
To be honest, I don't think these "everyone stop fighting" posts are very constructive. You talk about "Bungie fanboys" (side note: it would be better to avoid using such gendered language) who hate everything new, but I don't think people are blindly hating as much as you think they are. It seems to me like people have criticisms which can spawn long discussions, and you're mistaking that for everyone fighting with each other. It won't be that easy for people to agree on things, but I think most Halo fans are already appreciating what they think is good while critiquing what they think is bad.
However, I wish Halo fans here would realize that despite differences between games, you shouldn't listen to every YouTube critique you here.
I would go farther and say you're better off not paying attention to Halo Youtubers at all
I agree that there is a lot of jumping on opinion trains in the wake of a new release - and the opinions never seem to be positive. I always wonder how much of that is people just being joiners and how much of it is them genuinely disliking the game, or some feature of the game, and needing an articulate person (such as a youtube critic) to put it all into words and galvanize others around it. In either case, I wish people would make up their own minds - there's nothing wrong with it if you happen to agree with a youtuber, but it would be better if the masses didn't use those people as lightning rods. It just makes them seem like sheep.

In any event, the best thing to ever happen for Halo fans has been the advent of full backward compatibility, allowing us all to put away the rightly maligned MCC, and play these games the way they were really meant to be played. It no longer matters if you're a Bungie fanboy or a 343 fanboy (yes, there is such a thing, and I proudly count myself among their number) or if you like classic Halo or new Halo or this campaign or that campaign or even the glories of solo PvE gamemodes - now everyone can find whatever they want and play it until their hands go numb. I have to say... Halo 5 was really starting to wear thin for me, but now that I can escape at any time to Reach firefight or even ODST firefight I'm finding that I actually enjoy my brief returns to H5, and I'm more excited about forge than I was when it launched almost two years ago. And I'm back to the point where I can be legitimately excited about the prospect of Halo 6.

There's never been a better time to be a Halo fan.
I point this out to bring it to all your minds that we should appreciate the good, critique the bad, and try to promote playing halo.
To be honest, I don't think these "everyone stop fighting" posts are very constructive. You talk about "Bungie fanboys" (side note: it would be better to avoid using such gendered language) who hate everything new, but I don't think people are blindly hating as much as you think they are. It seems to me like people have criticisms which can spawn long discussions, and you're mistaking that for everyone fighting with each other. It won't be that easy for people to agree on things, but I think most Halo fans are already appreciating what they think is good while critiquing what they think is bad.
However, I wish Halo fans here would realize that despite differences between games, you shouldn't listen to every YouTube critique you here.
I would go farther and say you're better off not paying attention to Halo Youtubers at all
I only use "bungie fanboys" because it gets the point across. There's many 343 fans who ride on the new games like they are godly. From what i see largely on youtube, and facebook Halo pages, halo fans tear each other to shreds. I understand the difference between arguments and discussion of critiques. Some people are nuts and freak out if you like halo 3 over 2 and curse each other out. I posted this to encourage people to make a stronger community here and avoid fighting.
I only use "bungie fanboys" because it gets the point across. There's many 343 fans who ride on the new games like they are godly. From what i see largely on youtube, and facebook Halo pages, halo fans tear each other to shreds. I understand the difference between arguments and discussion of critiques. Some people are nuts and freak out if you like halo 3 over 2 and curse each other out. I posted this to encourage people to make a stronger community here and avoid fighting.
That would be nice, wouldn't it? I guess I don't see as much of this mindless fighting because I stay away from Facebook and Youtube.
That would be nice, wouldn't it? I guess I don't see as much of this mindless fighting because I stay away from Facebook and Youtube.
Yeah im currently stepping back from it as much as i can. Its pretty dumb out there.
See , this is the thing , at least for me ; I have always tried to state: Reach , 4 , and 5 are bad Halo games IMO. That doesn't make them bad games , each on it's own merits are playable and enjoyable. It is only in the context of Halo that they become mediocre or bad games. They just don't compare (again IMO) to the first Four Halo games in story telling , re-playability , or multi-player (fun? , competitiveness? , addictiveness? , all of the above? [not sure how best to describe it]). You can call it nostalgia or stubborn , whatever....to me , Modern Halo is just not as fun.
I don't blame one developer over the other , both have made mediocre Halo games , unfortunately 343 never had a chance as they chose to innovate from the worst Halo game Bungie released (which never made since to me , as Reach was a prequel and was never meant to influence the future of the franchise).
Sunsdune wrote:
See , this is the thing , at least for me ; I have always tried to state: Reach , 4 , and 5 are bad Halo games IMO. That doesn't make them bad games , each on it's own merits are playable and enjoyable. It is only in the context of Halo that they become mediocre or bad games.
I've always thought this is a weird stance to take. The notion that you can consider a game bad within some context, but then consider it enjoyable within some other context just seems bizarre to me. It's bizarre, because I don't really understand how one can consider a game in another context than what it is. It's not like there's any single part which makes a Halo game a Halo game, and when this part is removed, it suddenly ceases to be a Halo game. You can consider individual parts of the Halo 4, consider whether you would like those parts in some other games, but ultimately none of these parts individually, or any incomplete combination of these parts, constitutes Halo 4. Halo 4 is the unique combination of all its parts, and you can't really detach that combination from the context of Halo. You can always detach any incomplete combination, and judge that by itself, but then you can be quite arbitrary, and you're not judging the same game anymore; you're judging some different game.

Personally, I dislike these games, and that's it. Could I see myself playing some other game with some of the features from these games? Maybe, but those are different games, and that doesn't change the fact that I dislike these three particular games.
This is why I am thinking of getting a 360 again, two dozen choice favorite games, and stay offline. Halo 1-4/ODST/Reach, Gears of War 1-3, and several others top and timeless games. That way I can relive the greatness and avoid micro transactions, membership fees, and all that hype of expansions and let downs.
This is why I am thinking of getting a 360 again, two dozen choice favorite games, and stay offline. Halo 1-4/ODST/Reach, Gears of War 1-3, and several others top and timeless games. That way I can relive the greatness and avoid micro transactions, membership fees, and all that hype of expansions and let downs.
You know the games you mention are pretty much all backwards compatible now. No need to rebuy a 360. However if you did have one at some point in time, why did you get rid of it in the first place?
You know the games you mention are pretty much all backwards compatible now. No need to rebuy a 360. However if you did have one at some point in time, why did you get rid of it in the first place?
Getting rid of an old console is one of the worst decisions a gamer could ever make. I sorely regret selling my gamecube all those years ago.