Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Haggar, Community, and a Brighter Future

OP Jack 0O1

I recently commented on the forum thread, "A Note from Bonnie Ross about the Haggar Project", and I came to a valuable epiphany about how I've treated Halo in the past.

My original post was only going to be my opinion on the Haggar (Mega Bloks Halo) video and suggestions on how to make it appeal to people with similar interests as my own. As I began to write my thoughts out, I realized that this way of thinking tends to permeate throughout the community. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad way of interacting as it does cause us to be extremely discerning of the directions Halo is taken in, but I think we have become so prone to defaulting to this state of mind that it has become a fault. We have this habit of looking at the future of Halo in a very myopic way that tends to only concern ourselves. I know it's easy to divide the community into an infinite amount of cliques that adhere to staunchly opposite views, but I think we need to hold a healthy respect for our comrades and the division of opinions among us. Remember that even when an idea doesn't directly benefit our personal agenda, it might be beneficial to others, and that doesn't always mean that it's threatening to us. What's good for Halo is good for all of us as well. We need to cooperatively support and strengthen our dedicated community. In reality it's not our differences that define us, but our common love of Halo. That's what brings us together.

With that said, I'd like to share my post from the Haggar thread with you all. I hope it might provide some value to those that read it, and remind us to think more openly when we contribute to the forums and the community as a whole:
Quote:
"I was skeptical at first as a game like this doesn't really appeal to me directly, and I'm only interested in projects that will directly move the story and canon of Halo forward. But I sat with that thought for a bit, and realized that was unbelievably selfish of me.

As for the game and storyline, the Haggar prototype was really polished for the demo stages that were shown.. it didn't look like a bad game. Maybe it could tell some sort of side story plot. But more importantly, I'm almost 30 now.. That means Halo has been with me for almost half of my entire life. I'm getting to the point in my life where I think about having children of my own. Why wouldn't I want to introduce and share the Halo experience with them after it's been such a large part of my life? I think this is actually a necessity to pass Halo on to the next generation. It's a way for the people who have grown up with Halo to share the experience, and possibly begin the same Halo passion we've had with another young person just beginning to grow up like we were 15 years ago.

I only want the best for Halo, and at some point that means being able to let go a little bit and give Halo the space it needs to bridge the gap between young, old, and all the division of interests in the community. Maybe that means instead of being such a strict and harsh critic of the Halo standards we've grown with, that we should rather embrace the new experiences and opportunities we will have to share with the next generations.

A large portion of the Halo community has been with the franchise as long as I have. I feel like I'm part of the first generation of Halo fans, and there has been a half-generation that has joined us in between then and now. We are the torchbearers of Halo; we are the foundation of the community. I feel like this franchise lives and dies with us. If we hold on too tightly, we strangle this universe we love and prevent it from breathing life into new fans. We need to lighten up a bit and not criticize and critique every little thing that Halo ever does or tries. At one time or another we've all been guilty of this. Let's try to give Halo the creative freedom it needs to reach out to people in new ways and show a little trust.

I know that's a frightening thought. Even I'm afraid of letting go just to find that I've been left behind and that Halo will turn into something I don't recognize anymore. But as a community I think we need to be able to hold ourselves accountable for the direction that we push and pull the future of Halo in. The bearers of the Halo franchise have always been good about listening to the community and trying to balance what we ask for with what they produce, whether it has been Bungie or 343, and I believe we have decidedly more influence then we happen to realize.

As a community, we are responsible for how we direct the franchise. It's still up to us to keep the producers of Halo honest and let them know when they get something absolutely right or when they truly miss the mark. They want our opinions so that they can create a better product, whether it's a game, gear, book, or movie. It's not that we should stop caring, but we should care less about our own self-interest. We need to carry the mantle sort-of-speak, and think about the greater good that paints the bigger picture for Halo's future. Let's work on reducing the in-fighting and negativity, and encourage a culture of support and positivity within the community.

I can't wait to see what spectacular future Halo has in store and how we can help build it. I'm honored to be part of this community, and I look forward to sharing the endless possibilities of new experiences with the next generation.
(even if they don't initially appeal to me)"

Here's to building a brighter future for Halo and it's dedicated community!
It truly was a shame that the Haggar Project got scrapped. It was beautifully polished and would've caught the attention of younger Halo fans who play with the Mega Bloks sets and the BoomCO blasters. The Lego games would've been making a run for their money had Project Haggar bore fruit.

While Halo isn't exactly tailored towards a younger demographic, it would be in the franchise's best interest to entice the little ones while also maintaining its established fanbase of older fans. Debatable? Yes. But could it work? Perhaps so.

As far as the rest of your words go, I totally agree. I couldn't have put it any better than you did.

Lets hope this franchise still has plenty of life beyond Halo 6 and onwards.
Jack 0O1 wrote:
I recently commented on the forum thread, "A Note from Bonnie Ross about the Haggar Project", and I came to a valuable epiphany about how I've treated Halo in the past.

My original post was only going to be my opinion on the Haggar (Mega Bloks Halo) video and suggestions on how to make it appeal to people with similar interests as my own. As I began to write my thoughts out, I realized that this way of thinking tends to permeate throughout the community. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad way of interacting as it does cause us to be extremely discerning of the directions Halo is taken in, but I think we have become so prone to defaulting to this state of mind that it has become a fault. We have this habit of looking at the future of Halo in a very myopic way that tends to only concern ourselves. I know it's easy to divide the community into an infinite amount of cliques that adhere to staunchly opposite views, but I think we need to hold a healthy respect for our comrades and the division of opinions among us. Remember that even when an idea doesn't directly benefit our personal agenda, it might be beneficial to others, and that doesn't always mean that it's threatening to us. What's good for Halo is good for all of us as well. We need to cooperatively support and strengthen our dedicated community. In reality it's not our differences that define us, but our common love of Halo. That's what brings us together.

With that said, I'd like to share my post from the Haggar thread with you all. I hope it might provide some value to those that read it, and remind us to think more openly when we contribute to the forums and the community as a whole.
==========================================I was skeptical at first as a game like this doesn't really appeal to me directly, and I'm only interested in projects that will directly move the story and canon of Halo forward. But I sat with that thought for a bit, and realized that was unbelievably selfish of me.

As for the game and storyline, the Haggar prototype was really polished for the demo stages that were shown.. it didn't look like a bad game. Maybe it could tell some sort of side story plot. But more importantly, I'm almost 30 now.. That means Halo has been with me for almost half of my entire life. I'm getting to the point in my life where I think about having children of my own. Why wouldn't I want to introduce and share the Halo experience with them after it's been such a large part of my life? I think this is actually a necessity to pass Halo on to the next generation. It's a way for the people who have grown up with Halo to share the experience, and possibly begin the same Halo passion we've had with another young person just beginning to grow up like we were 15 years ago.

I only want the best for Halo, and at some point that means being able to let go a little bit and give Halo the space it needs to bridge the gap between young, old, and all the division of interests in the community. Maybe that means instead of being such a strict and harsh critic of the Halo standards we've grown with, that we should rather embrace the new experiences and opportunities we will have to share with the next generations.

A large portion of the Halo community has been with the franchise as long as I have. I feel like I'm part of the first generation of Halo fans, and there has been a half-generation that has joined us in between then and now. We are the torchbearers of Halo; we are the foundation of the community. I feel like this franchise lives and dies with us. If we hold on too tightly, we strangle this universe we love and prevent it from breathing life into new fans. We need to lighten up a bit and not criticize and critique every little thing that Halo ever does or tries. At one time or another we've all been guilty of this. Let's try to give Halo the creative freedom it needs to reach out to people in new ways and show a little trust.

I know that's a frightening thought. Even I'm afraid of letting go just to find that I've been left behind and that Halo will turn into something I don't recognize anymore. But as a community I think we need to be able to hold ourselves accountable for the direction that we push and pull the future of Halo in. The bearers of the Halo franchise have always been good about listening to the community and trying to balance what we ask for with what they produce, whether it has been Bungie or 343, and I believe we have decidedly more influence then we happen to realize.

As a community, we are responsible for how we direct the franchise. It's still up to us to keep the producers of Halo honest and let them know when they get something absolutely right or when they truly miss the mark. They want our opinions so that they can create a better product, whether it's a game, gear, book, or movie. It's not that we should stop caring, but we should care less about our own self-interest. We need to carry the mantle sort-of-speak, and think about the greater good that paints the bigger picture for Halo's future. Let's work on reducing the in-fighting and negativity, and encourage a culture of support and positivity within the community.

I can't wait to see what spectacular future Halo has in store and how we can help build it. I'm honored to be part of this community, and I look forward to sharing the endless possibilities of new experiences with the next generation.
(even if they don't initially appeal to me)==========================================Here's to building a brighter future for Halo and it's dedicated community!
Very well said, Spartan.
HaXoR73 and Sierra0331 -

Thank you for reading my extensive post. I know it's lengthy, but hopefully it's worth it. Appreciated!
It's really good to see other community members that feel the same way about at least some of what I wrote.
Thanks again
Jack 0O1 wrote:
HaXoR73 and Sierra0331 -

Thank you for reading my extensive post. I know it's lengthy, but hopefully it's worth it. Appreciated!
It's really good to see other community members that feel the same way about at least some of what I wrote.
Thanks again
No worries, buddy! :)
This man seriously knows what he's talking about. I would've loved to see this game come out but unfortunately that won't happen.
Spoiler:
Show
So let's see what 343i does next to amaze us, I'm waiting.
This man seriously knows what he's talking about. I would've loved to see this game come out but unfortunately that won't happen.
Spoiler:
Show
So let's see what 343i does next to amaze us, I'm waiting.
Thanks for the support!
So I know the catalyst of my post was the Haggar Project and my opinion of it, but the main focus should be on the community and how to make it better for everyone by the way we treat and respond to each others ideas and opinions across the Halo universe. I only wanted to use the Haggar Project as an example, but the subject matter here should transcend this thread and spread throughout the community. To me, this means beyond Waypoint and on to places like Reddit, Discord communities, YouTube, etc. But I think this mutual-support based outlook has to begin on Waypoint as this is the central hub for Halo, and then extend outwards from here.

And I agree, I'm looking forward to what 343 has in store for the future as well!
I would seriously love to play this game! It looks so cool and I was a really big fan of Lego games when I was growing up, such as Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, etc.

Expanding to a wider audience via a game made for kids instead of changing main title Halo games to appeal to younger audiences would be a better decision for 343i, IMO. (What happened to all the blood and swearing?)
I would seriously love to play this game! It looks so cool and I was a really big fan of Lego games when I was growing up, such as Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, etc.

Expanding to a wider audience via a game made for kids instead of changing main title Halo games to appeal to younger audiences would be a better decision for 343i, IMO. (What happened to all the blood and swearing?)
I think 343 has been doing a great job of appealing to the community's diverse interests and opinions. The little kiddies have been left out of the mix, but I could see that changing. The blood is still missing, but after playing the Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta - I can tell you that the cursing is back. Some of the deployable Unit Leaders have some nicely timed PG-questionable one-liners that they slipped in there. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I still miss painting the walls in Halo 3 with Brute's blood though; I was quite the creative little Picasso..

I trust 343 to make the right decisions and do what's best for Halo, whether that means filtering through all of our obscene requests or being brave and stepping outside Halo's comfort zone in order to gain the interest of the next generation of Halo fans. Speaking of the changing fan base of Halo's community, I wrote this insightful realization on a different thread:
Quote:
"The more I hear about the contrast between past v. present and Bungie v. 343, the more I believe that the source of the community's frustration isn't so much with 343 as it is the changing of the fan base. As the OP mentioned, we recognize that there is a new generation filtering into the Halo community and we are resistant to that. Change is the most difficult thing to accept in life, and when we relate that to the Halo franchise that we are so nostalgic and fond of we tend to fight this change with a call to go back to the "old". What we need is to try and make this generational shift in the community transition as smoothly as possible, because I feel that this is where a fair majority of our in-fighting stems from. Those that have been with Halo from the beginning and have been the foundation of the community need to support the next generation and look forward to sharing future experiences with them. And in return, we can share the classic Halo experiences and make sure that they aren't forgotten. It's a 'changing of the guard' sort-of-speak, and as much as we resist, it's still happening - it's up to us how easy or difficult this change occurs. That doesn't mean we let go of our love for Halo, it means that we let our love grow with the franchise and support the community in the process."