Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo - Games as a service model

OP Zwippie

What do you people think the chances are that Halo becomes like Destiny?

We're seeing this happening to a lot of games now days and I read a blogg post on a gaming site were a guy talked about not wanting this kind of model for both the Halo and Bioshock franchise but he also expressed that he wouldn't be surprised if they did throw in some games as a service model things in Infinite.

I myself wouldn't be that surprised but it's not something I want, let Halo be Halo, don't try to change it too much. Never played Bioshock honestly but I can see why people wouldn't want that changed.
What exactly were you or that site thinking Halo or Bioshock would adopt? Halo is in the MP space but Bioshock is so drastically different I'm surprised that was brought up so I feel like I don't fully understand the question.
Zwippie wrote:
What do you people think the chances are that Halo becomes like Destiny?

We're seeing this happening to a lot of games now days and I read a blogg post on a gaming site were a guy talked about not wanting this kind of model for both the Halo and Bioshock franchise but he also expressed that he wouldn't be surprised if they did throw in some games as a service model things in Infinite.

I myself wouldn't be that surprised but it's not something I want, let Halo be Halo, don't try to change it too much. Never played Bioshock honestly but I can see why people wouldn't want that changed.
I'm mostly against it, up to a point.

As an old school style gamer, I like physical copies, I like having the game and potentially borrowing it out to friends, stuff like that. I also like to go back and play through some of my old games, like right now I'm playing through Mass Effect 1 with a bunch of friends.

With the subscription service model, I can no longer have the physical copy or borrow it out to friends. But, as long as I have the game on my hard drive, or there's some sort of solid state remaster, I can go back and play it which is what I like to do.

I think the only state in which I'd be against it is if split-screen co-op modes, local play, and campaign require online access and support - and down the road as the game ages, it would lose support, thus losing access. The main reason why Destiny isn't going to be hurt by this is because there is no local play and the story blows, so that's not the reason why people play the game. Halo's a little different, and Bioshock even more so.
I play Destiny 2 as a side hobby, I really don’t hope Halo becomes like Destiny cause the current state of Destiny is becoming laughable
Hell. No. Halo is not the type of game that should be a games as a service, especially with Destiny's awful storytelling alluding to anything on how that turned out.
What exactly were you or that site thinking Halo or Bioshock would adopt? Halo is in the MP space but Bioshock is so drastically different I'm surprised that was brought up so I feel like I don't fully understand the question.
The site was the swedish Gamereactor website. And I think he meant that he was worried that Halo or Bioshock would do like Destiny or Anthem, always online, microtransactions, gear tier system of weapons and armor. The game becomes more of a Destiny clone than Halo.
Games as a service can also point to The Division but he mentions Destiny 2 overall since that is the most popular game and is still making good money for Bungie.
Zwippie wrote:
The site was the swedish Gamereactor website. And I think he meant that he was worried that Halo or Bioshock would do like Destiny or Anthem, always online, microtransactions, gear tier system of weapons and armor. The game becomes more of a Destiny clone than Halo.
Games as a service can also point to The Division but he mentions Destiny 2 overall since that is the most popular game and is still making good money for Bungie.
I would think we don't have to worry about a gear system, at least for Infinite. Maybe they could do something like that for a spin off.

Always online I'm hoping not considering Infinite and the new Xbox will have LAN but who knows for the XB1 version.

There's definitely gonna be MTX so get ready for that.
Zwippie wrote:
I would think we don't have to worry about a gear system, at least for Infinite. Maybe they could do something like that for a spin off.

Always online I'm hoping not considering Infinite and the new Xbox will have LAN but who knows for the XB1 version.

There's definitely gonna be MTX so get ready for that.
I agree. Microtransactions is the least of my worries because mostly I'm not affected by them, unless they are the "pay to win" type of MTX, then I will probably be affected.

I could be open to a spin off Halo with gear system but I think it's just better they leave it alone.
Others have said enough about why the "games as a service" model is bad, so I'll keep this brief. No, I don't think that Halo should transition to this model and I believe that all games should be completed upon release. Any DLC that is released for a game should actually add content to it, not simply offer content that should have shipped with the game in the first place. I also want to actually own the games that I buy, as opposed to merely renting them.