Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo 5's campaign and writing.

OP Pillow Egg3

How do we know if Halo Infinite's writing is going to be better than Halo 5's writing?

After watching Act Man's 5 part series on why Halo 5's campaign was so bad, it took everything I've felt about the game and put it in the most articulate and expressive form.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwwyb_5jJHc
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWzBXsiNwsQ
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKdenOPGjA&t=196s
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LJGjGg9aY

Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itYjIGo33zo

I'm kinda concerned with Halo Infinite.
Is there anything mentioned by 343i where they said they were taking feedback seriously in respect to the story and writing?
I remember playing Halo 5's campaign for the first two hours and immediately dropping it completely to play Destiny and totally forgot about Halo 5.
I was a huge fan for the first 4 Halo games and I enjoyed Reach and ODST. Halo 4 had the most emotional arc. Halo 5 destroyed it and felt like Alien: Resurrection to me, a movie that destroyed the efforts of 2 and replaced with something worse.
So far we've only heard very vague things related to story. We know that it will focus on Master Chief, be simpler, and be a good starting point for new players to join in. It's being described as a soft reboot but at the same time it's a direct sequel to H5. The vibes they're focusing on this time is mystery, hope, and heroism.

They have acknowledged that they messed up on the story and marketing for H5 so that's a positive note. I think there were some other little points that they've said but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Oh and Brian Reed is no longer the lead writer. I can't remember if he's straight up not with 343i anymore if he's still on the writing team.
I would find it hard to believe that 343 hasn't heard our concerns and taken them into account. While there is a great deal of debate on game play aspects of H5 (some like it and some hate it), there has been a pretty universal consensus on the story being bad.

I also think you can point to the art style change as evidence that 343 is listening to the fans more. Beyond that, there has been virtually no marketing for this game compared to H5. That might change in the coming months, but it appears that 343 is taking a cautious approach in response to how bad H5's marketing was.
So far we've only heard very vague things related to story. We know that it will focus on Master Chief, be simpler, and be a good starting point for new players to join in. It's being described as a soft reboot but at the same time it's a direct sequel to H5. The vibes they're focusing on this time is mystery, hope, and heroism.

They have acknowledged that they messed up on the story and marketing for H5 so that's a positive note. I think there were some other little points that they've said but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Oh and Brian Reed is no longer the lead writer. I can't remember if he's straight up not with 343i anymore if he's still on the writing team.
More like "spiritual reboot", even though I have no clue what it means. If it directly continues the story of the latest installment, it's not a reboot. For example, take Superman Returns. Although it continues the story of Superman 1 and 2, it ignores the events of 3 and 4, the 2 newest entries of the series at the time before it released. That's the definition of a soft reboot. Since Halo Infinite takes place after H5, it's not a reboot/soft reboot

More like "spiritual reboot", even though I have no clue what it means. If it directly continues the story of the latest installment, it's not a reboot. For example, take Superman Returns. Although it continues the story of Superman 1 and 2, it ignores the events of 3 and 4, the 2 newest entries of the series at the time before it released. That's the definition of a soft reboot. Since Halo Infinite takes place after H5, it's not a reboot/soft reboot
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that. I feel like they mean in terms of art style, gameplay, and storytelling but they should really specify or use different language because when people hear the word "reboot" they think starting over or something similar to what you said and that's not what they're doing.
It's not good