Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Halo 6 Doesn't Need To Return To The Roots...

OP FLOWFUTURISTIC

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 22
You want 5 legitimate reasons as to why Halo 4 sucked:

1. It's blatant and shameless attempt at assuming the formula for other FPS games would work with Halo.

2. The lack of any competitive outlet arguably put the nail in the coffin for long time competitive fans who anxiously waited to see what Halo brought after Reach.

3. Spartan Ops replacing Firefight. Spartan ops had the potential. It failed to deliver.

4. A forgettable campaign that was made completely and utterly null and void by Halo 5. Any emotional impact the death of cortana was supposed to have was negated entirely.

5. Armor abilities like jet pack and promethean vision utterly destroying arena based multiplayer.

6. The bolt shot: the ability to spawn with a weapon more useful than the sword or shotgun was a disgusting oversight that plagued multiplayer for too long.

7. Forgettable maps: the multiplayer maps made no lasting impression on the fans. No one is crying for a remake of a halo 4 map for very good reasons.

8. The beginning of removal of series features. As their first original game, 343 showed us that removing features may become a trend. No theater in campaign and no campaign scoring were indicators of what was yet to come. As well as no playable elites, a very important feature to many.

9. Horrendous, HORRENDOUS vehicle game play. Vehicles made of paper mache made it so that no vehicle user could truly excel, no matter how skilled.

10. Horrid sound design. Listen to the Halo 4 battle rifle and Pistol. That's all I need for this argument.

11. It took a month to accomplish everything there was to accomplish in the entire game. It took next to no time.

I could go on and on. Halo 4 wasn't and isn't a bad game. But it didn't even come close to the legacy that was halo 1-3. Even reach. I didn't like the game play of Reach but it's feature set was damn impressive. Halo 4 didn't even deliver that.

You started halo with Halo 4. Yet you claim to speak of the original trilogy as though you knew it when it was revolutionary. You weren't there to witness Halo, the juggernaut of gaming, be transformed into a COD clone and shamelessly thrown around like Call of Duty in space.

Nostalgia can be a blinding influence. But there are many things objectively wrong with Halo 4. Again, it was not bad. But its down there with Reach in terms of Halo game play.
As a fellow member of the CE generation. This is perfectly stated.
vRecN wrote:
"Halo doesn't need to go back to the roots, my first real Halo was Halo 4"

First indication of a casual, your opinion doesn't matter
Don't flame bro, everyone's opinion is valid
Sounds like something a Peon would say, go back to warzone
I can see you make a habit out of being unpleasant. You're the problem, not the solution.
Let 343 make it how they want, and just enjoy the ride
If the franchise is going to succeed, the I don't think this is gonna happen
Let 343 make it how they want, and just enjoy the ride
Sadly, that's all we can do.
I completely disagree, I cannot give you evidence to support my claim because I can't explain how I feel when I play the original games, but I feel good.

1. It's blatant and shameless attempt at assuming the formula for other FPS games would work with Halo.

2. The lack of any competitive outlet arguably put the nail in the coffin for long time competitive fans who anxiously waited to see what Halo brought after Reach.

3. Spartan Ops replacing Firefight. Spartan ops had the potential. It failed to deliver.

4. A forgettable campaign that was made completely and utterly null and void by Halo 5. Any emotional impact the death of cortana was supposed to have was negated entirely.

5. Armor abilities like jet pack and promethean vision utterly destroying arena based multiplayer.

6. The bolt shot: the ability to spawn with a weapon more useful than the sword or shotgun was a disgusting oversight that plagued multiplayer for too long.

7. Forgettable maps: the multiplayer maps made no lasting impression on the fans. No one is crying for a remake of a halo 4 map for very good reasons.

8. The beginning of removal of series features. As their first original game, 343 showed us that removing features may become a trend. No theater in campaign and no campaign scoring were indicators of what was yet to come. As well as no playable elites, a very important feature to many.

9. Horrendous, HORRENDOUS vehicle game play. Vehicles made of paper mache made it so that no vehicle user could truly excel, no matter how skilled.

10. Horrid sound design. Listen to the Halo 4 battle rifle and Pistol. That's all I need for this argument.

11. It took a month to accomplish everything there was to accomplish in the entire game. It took next to no time.

I could go on and on. Halo 4 wasn't and isn't a bad game. But it didn't even come close to the legacy that was halo 1-3. Even reach. I didn't like the game play of Reach but it's feature set was damn impressive. Halo 4 didn't even deliver that.

You started halo with Halo 4. Yet you claim to speak of the original trilogy as though you knew it when it was revolutionary. You weren't there to witness Halo, the juggernaut of gaming, be transformed into a COD clone and shamelessly thrown around like Call of Duty in space.

Nostalgia can be a blinding influence. But there are many things objectively wrong with Halo 4. Again, it was not bad. But its down there with Reach in terms of Halo game play.
I'm sorry but no. Halo 4 had the best story out of them all so far. The themes, the cutscene, ways it's done...
i can write a lot about halo 4. And I mean a lot, story wise.

As a fellow member of the CE generation. This is perfectly stated.
I wasn't apart of that generation but I can see where these points are coming from
3 things to say.
1. UR OPINION
2. I think arena mechanics are cool just remove smartlink and make it zoom and give autos projection
3. ART STYLE SHOULD BE REACH STYLE
I support everything said here. While Halo 4 was an amazing game to some, to others (like me), it wasn't because the game wasn't competitive enough. Now I'm not saying that Halo should be the most competitive game ever to be made, but it should stay at the level it is now, and also add in some more casual game modes aside from the ones already in the game.

On to the art style of the recent Halo games, the armour in particular. In my opinion the style of the armour in Halo 4 and 5 has been a bit cartoonish (some pieces still look pretty nice though). I really liked the worn, realistic look of Reach's armour style compared to 4 and 5's. It adds a little bit to the desperate, war torn feel of the Halo universe, and that's how it should feel. Going away from the art aspect of Reach's armour, another great thing about it is the customization it had. You could change individual shoulder pieces, giving your character more uniqueness to them.

Everyone's opinion matters. Just agree to disagree. And people need to stop throwing the word "casual" around like it's an insult.
The problem is that you aren't a competitive player, just a casual gamer.
That's why you like the fun halo instead of Halo 5.
I'm not quite sure about this. I am a casual gamer, I enjoy my game if I have fun, not if I win. But I have been playing Halo 3 religiously for 6 years which is supposed to be a competitive game. That said I usually stuck to social big team until the playlist numbers fell to low to play...

Everyone's opinion matters. Just agree to disagree. And people need to stop throwing the word "casual" around like it's an insult.
He doesn't just call people casual's, he is also prone to using racial slurs.. As I found out. XD!
erickyboo wrote:

I'm sorry but no. Halo 4 had the best story out of them all so far. The themes, the cutscene, ways it's done...
Except for the fact it was completely nullified. The Didact didn't die in Halo 4, Cortana didn't die in Halo 4. The two climactic points in the campaign were pointless.

Yes; the cutscenes were nice. The themes were nice. The scenery was good. But storyline-wise, it was made pointless. How does it transition into Halo 5? Cortana ends up at Genesis. That's it. That's the only point worth mentioning.
vRecN wrote:
vRecN wrote:

The OP has no educated argument no base. I have been here since 2001 and I can say something about how halo has turned for the worst.
I agree with you, Halo has turned for the worst but that doesn't mean anyone has the right to diminish the validity of another persons view. Everyone deserve the right to an opinion new to the franchise or veterans like ourselves. I just like to see everyone getting along ^_^
Yes, everyone has a right to have fun and a good gaming experience. Tearing each other down is not going to fix anything. I'm glad to see someone else here won't stand for name-calling and so forth.
erickyboo wrote:

So far, it seems like most of the complaints about Halo 4 are based on the multiplayer experience, not the campaign. That is a common trend here in the forums: If people bad-mouth a Halo game, it's 95% the multiplayer. Only time I've seen the campaign really thrashed by fans is Halo 5.

I agree, Halo 4 does have a good story (even if parts of it are "meh" to me, like the Didact and S-IVs), but I am a Halo CE-3 fan through-and-through and can see the gameplay points that people complain about in H4.
There's 3 ways to approach the future of this franchise...

1. Bring things to your new game by using elements from previous installments. (Characters, guns, maps, game modes, enemies, etc.)
2. Make your game similar to other franchises so as to appear inviting to newcomers. (Sprint, Smartscope, weapon skins, Req packs)
3. Do both.

I think 343 is trying to appeal to everyone and should stay along the path they're going. This doesn't mean they are doing it successfully, though. It's taken a while for the new editions to be brought to the table.
vRecN wrote:
vRecN wrote:

The OP has no educated argument no base. I have been here since 2001 and I can say something about how halo has turned for the worst.
I agree with you, Halo has turned for the worst but that doesn't mean anyone has the right to diminish the validity of another persons view. Everyone deserve the right to an opinion new to the franchise or veterans like ourselves. I just like to see everyone getting along ^_^
Yes, everyone has a right to have fun and a good gaming experience. Tearing each other down is not going to fix anything. I'm glad to see someone else here won't stand for name-calling and so forth.
I feel the same way, we are far and few between these days.
vRecN wrote:
vRecN wrote:

I don't go to other gaming sites and claim a certain thing is better unless I have played all the games a good amount of time. Sorry I don't want to make baseless arguments.
Never did actually play Halo 1- 3 online until late 2013 and yes I do feel the new modes and Forge improvements are helpful to the series, but you are terribly misinformed if you think the series is doing better now in the gameplay department.

That's all you guys ever do is look at the superficial effect of adding mechanics to the gameplay. It's one of the most naive things I've ever seen... With Halo 4 and Reach you've 'solved' the problem of Spartans feeling too static by adding Armor Abilities, and in Halo 5 you've 'fixed' the problem of imbalance by giving everyone the same abilities at spawn, but both you and 343 are blissfully ignorant to the fact that making everyone way too powerful across the board is it's own balancing issue that needs addressing as well.

And now I'm actually seeing it from the community. By now most people are realizing that in Halo 5 it's simply not as fun to fight each other as it used to be. Similarly to how overpowering A.I. opponents makes them less fun to fight in the long run, overpowering the player models has an equally noticeable effect on how 'fun' it is to battle each other throughout the game's lifespan. Yes, unfortunately the effects don't stay negligible forever. Some things just make the game play worse than before, and it doesn't matter that it's new or that everyone has it. There's a reason not all Slayer matches have movement speed and jump height cranked up to 300%.

You say returning to it's roots wouldn't make Halo 6 fun... but in order to say that, you would have to also say recent Halos are lacking in that department. There's a reason people say they want a return to form... It also doesn't have to mean the same thing for everyone. Do I specifically mean the gameplay needs to revert to an earlier and more stable time when I say that? Yes, but not everyone does... Some people for instance only want stuff like split-screen, payable elites, action sack, campaign theater, etc. back.
Benti86 wrote:
Celestis wrote:
halo 4 was an abomination. halo 5 is an improvement. if doom can play like the old doom and have a tiny amount of modern features (double jump and clambering) other than that it plays like doom 1 and 3 mixed. THAT is how halo 5 should have been. guess what the new doom is a PURE arena shooter with no sprint and requires alot of strafing. i want 343 to make halo 6 like doom..... follow the original gameplay but add very LITTLE modern features and that is sticking to your roots not ignoring them or burning them with napalm. which is what halo 4 did
I agree with all your points except that H5G supposedly was an improvement. Because it wasn't. Gameplay-wise, it's worse than it's even been.

@OP: Doesn't need to return to its roots... to do what exactly? You never specify.
Sell copies? Probably not.
Sell Xboxes? Debatable.
Keep the franchise going for that 20-ish years that Bonnie Ross was claiming some years back? Yeah, it does. Badly!
the new doom is so refreshing. a game that respects its roots and embraces it. i have not had this much fun in a while. ID games are pure gold and made with love and not made to cater to get a kind of audiance that it did not have before
Played MP with my friend yesterday. Haven't had that much fun in a long, long time.
Glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying the hell out of Doom ! I never played the originals but I love it, definitely has that old school kind of feel to it.

And after playing it for a while it got me thinking of what Halo could be like had it got similar treatment, like staying true to original trilogy Halo game play but refreshed a bit. Not vastly different like Halo 4 and 5 have been.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 22