Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo 6 Eric Nylund

OP rdN Boss

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
As a huge fan the halo games/books, i was very disappointed in the Halo 5 campaign. Terrible story/dialog with ZERO emotion. Eric Nylund wrote some of the best halo books including Halo: The Fall of Reach. I believe he could fix the story and put the game in the right place. I know this is really late, but i heard Bryan Reed left 343, thank god.
I do have to agree Eric Nylund is definitely one of the best Halo writers.
rdN Boss wrote:
As a huge fan the halo games/books, i was very disappointed in the Halo 5 campaign. Terrible story/dialog with ZERO emotion. Eric Nylund wrote some of the best halo books including Halo: The Fall of Reach. I believe he could fix the story and put the game in the right place. I know this is really late, but i heard Bryan Reed left 343, thank god.
Well he's not writer anymore, I dont think he left the company.
As much as I'd like Nylund to take over, something tells me he's busy doing other stuff. We can dream though...we can dream.
I thought that I read somewhere that Nylund was retired. Not sure if it's true, but apparently his own writing projects haven't had any updates since 2013, so I don't think he's going to be writing for Halo any time soon.
I thought that I read somewhere that Nylund was retired. Not sure if it's true, but apparently his own writing projects haven't had any updates since 2013, so I don't think he's going to be writing for Halo any time soon.
It sounds like he's retired.

Link.
I would absolutely be the happiest man in the world if Nylund would return to write Halo again, either in book or game form. My favorite Halo author. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's much chance it'll ever happen.
Gosh, I'd love to see Eric Nylund return to the Halo Universe.

Ghosts of Onyx. That. Was. Beautiful.
Whichever book it was where they went into detail on master chief's background & training was awesome.

Ever since reading it, I've been hoping they would put it into a Halo game but they've not even touched the topic :/
It sounds like he's retired.

Link.
He's had this answer posted to his FAQ for years lol. I've been breaking hearts for years sharing it.
Quote:
Will you be writing another HALO novel?

No.
Also, not all persons who write books are inherently good video game writers. They're a different subject to write altogether.

Edit: I had no idea Mr. Nylund had written for games previously. Gives me even more respect for him.
rdN Boss wrote:
As much as I'd like Nylund to take over, something tells me he's busy doing other stuff. We can dream though...we can dream.
I just imagine you tearing up at a fireplace with that we can do it face, holding up your fist and shaking your head
J kid789 wrote:
rdN Boss wrote:
I just imagine you tearing up at a fireplace with that we can do it face, holding up your fist and shaking your head
Nah, Im out in a field, in full MJLONIR, with my helmet under my arm, shaking my fist at the stars.
Or more likely across Lake Washington at Redmond...
I would absolutely be the happiest man in the world if Nylund would return to write Halo again, either in book or game form. My favorite Halo author. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's much chance it'll ever happen.
Please come back Eric Nylund.
This is Eric Nylund. I normally just lurk on the HALO forums to see what’s going on with the community.
Since people are talking/ rumor mongering about me, I’d thought I’d clear a few things up.

Retired
Sort of but not. I’m stay at home dad now, consulting, and writing.

Still publishing
Last novel out was THE ENCHANTED KNOT in 2015. Latest novel is HERO OF THERA out this June 1st! There was a patch between 2013 and 2015 where I had too much work to produce novels regularly.

HALO
343 and I have circled each other for years, but we never quite seem to sync up— either our schedules are misaligned or we could never agree on what or how I should be involved. I even pinged Bonnie about the Narrative Director position ... but it appears that I was too late.

Me writing for games
Someone pointed out that writing novels is different than writing for games. Gold star! Too true. I have been working in the video games industry for 15 years, and have helped over 50 games get published (Gears of War, anyone?). The number is probably closer to 75-80 if you count the games that were canceled along the way… but that’s another story.

Is this the real Eric Nylund?
I’ll post a short confirmation on my facebook account that I did indeed post here :)

Take care everyone.
--Eric
Remember that Brian Reed wasn't the one at fault with Halo 5's story. Following the fan backlash of Halo 4, Microsoft was very restrictive, pulling their weight over 343i way too much and creating the abysmal story we got now. Microsoft wanted a Halo story that was more accessible to commercial gamers, and so the cliche Created story was used, which obviously in the Halo setting, and especially post-Halo 4 story, it was jarring and... terrible.

There was only so much Brian Reed could do with Microsoft's strict and awful 'guidelines'.

Even if Eric Nylund, through some cosmic alignment of the stars, became narrative director, that doesn't give him creative control to make a masterpiece. The story is written by several people, and people like level designers and those who work with the engine also have a lot of input. There are a lot of working pieces, narrative director is only one of them.
I really am sorry to hear that, Eric.

Frankly, the specific word that crossed my mind when I read the words "too late" was a jaded rendition of "Unbelievable."

But hey, I suppose that ya never know; the future isn't exactly written yet. Maybe something can happen in the future where you are able to help 343 reach Halo's full potential. I'd love to see you lead at 343 in a powerful way. Here's hoping.
Rxtor wrote:
This is Eric Nylund. I normally just lurk on the HALO forums to see what’s going on with the community.
Since people are talking/ rumor mongering about me, I’d thought I’d clear a few things up.

Retired
Sort of but not. I’m stay at home dad now, consulting, and writing.

Still publishing
Last novel out was THE ENCHANTED KNOT in 2015. Latest novel is HERO OF THERA out this June 1st! There was a patch between 2013 and 2015 where I had too much work to produce novels regularly.

HALO
343 and I have circled each other for years, but we never quite seem to sync up— either our schedules are misaligned or we could never agree on what or how I should be involved. I even pinged Bonnie about the Narrative Director position ... but it appears that I was too late.

Me writing for games
Someone pointed out that writing novels is different than writing for games. Gold star! Too true. I have been working in the video games industry for 15 years, and have helped over 50 games get published (Gears of War, anyone?). The number is probably closer to 75-80 if you count the games that were canceled along the way… but that’s another story.

Is this the real Eric Nylund?
I’ll post a short confirmation on my facebook account that I did indeed post here :)

Take care everyone.
--Eric
it's great to actually hear from you, Your Books really got me into Halo's story. I'm sorry you aren't able to help Halo now but it's still great to clear the air.

Just so you know, I am SO gonna add you to my friends list (unless yours is full)

Thanks for replying, hope things go great with you in the future :)

P.S. John-117 and Kelly-087 are my Halo OTP XD
Please use one of the existing Halo 6 threads. Thanks!
Honestly, it is sad to hear that you were unable to land a position like that, I hope for the best for you. Maybe someday a position will open for you with the series, as you did handle it very well.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3