Halo 6 Eric Nylund

OP rdN Boss

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Rxtor wrote:
This is Eric Nylund. I normally just lurk on the HALO forums to see what’s going on with the community.
Since people are talking/ rumor mongering about me, I’d thought I’d clear a few things up.

Retired
Sort of but not. I’m stay at home dad now, consulting, and writing.

Still publishing
Last novel out was THE ENCHANTED KNOT in 2015. Latest novel is HERO OF THERA out this June 1st! There was a patch between 2013 and 2015 where I had too much work to produce novels regularly.

HALO
343 and I have circled each other for years, but we never quite seem to sync up— either our schedules are misaligned or we could never agree on what or how I should be involved. I even pinged Bonnie about the Narrative Director position ... but it appears that I was too late.

Me writing for games
Someone pointed out that writing novels is different than writing for games. Gold star! Too true. I have been working in the video games industry for 15 years, and have helped over 50 games get published (Gears of War, anyone?). The number is probably closer to 75-80 if you count the games that were canceled along the way… but that’s another story.

Is this the real Eric Nylund?
I’ll post a short confirmation on my facebook account that I did indeed post here :)

Take care everyone.
--Eric
Eric I just want to start off by saying thank you for the novels you've written for us. Second, I would like to say i hope you can write for halo again soon. You knew what you were doing and you did great.
Rxtor wrote:
Hi Eric, really awesome of you to break your lurking streak to say hi. Thanks for stopping by and, while I have this golden opportunity, thanks for adding your spark to the Halo universe. Maybe someday we'll see you sync up with Halo again, I'd definitely love to see that :)
ERIC

ERIC DON'T LEAVE US

I MADE A SPACE COMBAT GAME FOR YOU ERIC

ERICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

:'(
Our Lord and Savior has beckoned to us, his name calls - it is Eric Nylund!

But seriously, pretty distressing to hear that, I would absolutely love to see you writing in another mainline Halo game; you're the dude who basically built everything I love about Halo. The universe that's so diverse, and mysterious, with the military rallying call that is so quintessential to Halo overarching narrative.

It would be a dream to see Eric come back as a Narrative Director on the next Halo game.

pls

Image courtesy of Unikraken:

ERIC NYLUUUUUND!
Vorked wrote:
Honestly, it is sad to hear that you were unable to land a position like that, I hope for the best for you. Maybe someday a position will open for you with the series, as you did handle it very well.
Agreed, it is very saddening, but is also nice to know Eric is still interested, so there is still hope. Many thanks for the incredible work you did Eric.
If 343 is smart they'll hire Nylund as part of the Halo narrative team.
*starstruck* Mr. Nylund, I sent you a PM but, in case you don't log in again for a while, just want so much to thank you for the joy you've brought to us as fans. You introduced me to Halo and Halo helped me find this community which has become a big part of my life.

@ANYONE from 343... folks, it sounds like the man is at least somewhat interested... just sayin'... please never say never...
Saw the post on /r/Halo! Wow. I still remember the lethal efficiency that the Spartan-2's possessed. How they were lightning fast and could infiltrate and kill anything. The Blue Team missions in Halo 5 just seemed so cookie cutter. They didn't really seem like a family. The cutscenes themselves made them look slow and heavy, like the armor was slowing them down, not speeding them up. They simply looked far too human. And I realized this is because the cutscenes are humans with mo-cap and then armor added on. I wish the ultimate lethality that was described in The Fall of Reach would make it into Halo 6.
Rxtor wrote:
This is Eric Nylund. I normally just lurk on the HALO forums to see what’s going on with the community.
Since people are talking/ rumor mongering about me, I’d thought I’d clear a few things up.

Retired

Still publishing
Last novel out was THE ENCHANTED KNOT in 2015. Latest novel is HERO OF THERA out this June 1st! There was a patch between 2013 and 2015 where I had too much work to produce novels regularly.

HALO
343 and I have circled each other for years, but we never quite seem to sync up— either our schedules are misaligned or we could never agree on what or how I should be involved. I even pinged Bonnie about the Narrative Director position ... but it appears that I was too late.

Me writing for games
Someone pointed out that writing novels is different than writing for games. Gold star! Too true. I have been working in the video games industry for 15 years, and have helped over 50 games get published (Gears of War, anyone?). The number is probably closer to 75-80 if you count the games that were canceled along the way… but that’s another story.

I’ll post a short confirmation on my facebook account that I did indeed post here :)

Take care everyone.
--Eric
Hey Eric! I was surprised to see that this really is you. As much as we want you to return, a huge thanks goes to you for creating the book that started everything. I remember reading The Fall of Reach several times in high school and probably before that too (2007-11). Such a good book. I'm in college going for game writing, but best of luck to you in your future endeavors!
Rxtor wrote:
Retired
Still publishing
HALO
Me writing for games
Take care everyone.
--Eric
The story what you wrote for Gears 1, 3, Halo reach where amazing. In gears of war 3 I even started to get a relation with the characters, but this is also because of the voice actors. The ending of Dom was tragic and I even had to stop playing the game to take in what happen. Dominic was one of the main characters together with Marcus for me, and to see him taking a end to his life to save his friends was shocking, as we know he was broken because he lost his wife to the locust and didn't want to lose his friends when they where pinned down, that moment is one of the things that I remember gears of war 3.

Knowing you wrote the stories for one of my favorite gears and halo game's make me to hope you'll write maybe Halo 6 or even Gears of war 5. Now from reading your post it is understandable if this is isn't going to happen because like you said each personal agenda or what should be involved or not.
I hope to see more game story's writing by you even if it isn't Gears of War or Halo. Anyway you got allot of fans that love's your writing and know that we support every decision you make, because even though most of us want you to write Halo 6, we can't always get what we want.
Take care and be awesome.
~Tim
Wait a minute, who's the new narrative director then??
MrTimm wrote:
Rxtor wrote:
Retired
Still publishing
HALO
Me writing for games
Take care everyone.
--Eric
The story what you wrote for Gears 1, 3, Halo reach where amazing.
I'm not seeing anywhere that says Mr. Nylund was involved in the writing of Halo Reach. Yes, he did write The Fall of Reach, but I don't see anything crediting him with being involved of the writing of the game. Of course, it's definitely possible that he was involved, but I feel like there would be less conflict with the novels if that were the case.
MrTimm wrote:
Rxtor wrote:
Retired
Still publishing
HALO
Me writing for games
Take care everyone.
--Eric
The story what you wrote for Gears 1, 3, Halo reach where amazing.
I'm not seeing anywhere that says Mr. Nylund was involved in the writing of Halo Reach. Yes, he did write The Fall of Reach, but I don't see anything crediting him with being involved of the writing of the game. Of course, it's definitely possible that he was involved, but I feel like there would be less conflict with the novels if that were the case.
I think he wrote Halsey's journal if that counts.
Rxtor wrote:
-snip-
Hey Eric!

It's a real shame to hear you were too late to get the Narrative Director position. Despite that, I hope you're still interested to be involved in expanding Halo's story! It's be great to get some more fiction from you!
J kid789 wrote:
rdN Boss wrote:
As a huge fan the halo games/books, i was very disappointed in the Halo 5 campaign. Terrible story/dialog with ZERO emotion. Eric Nylund wrote some of the best halo books including Halo: The Fall of Reach. I believe he could fix the story and put the game in the right place. I know this is really late, but i heard Bryan Reed left 343, thank god.
Well he's not writer anymore, I dont think he left the company.
As much as I'd like Nylund to take over, something tells me he's busy doing other stuff. We can dream though...we can dream.
I just imagine you tearing up at a fireplace with that we can do it face, holding up your fist and shaking your head
Nah, Im out in a field, in full MJLONIR, with my helmet under my arm, shaking my fist at the stars.
Or more likely across Lake Washington at Redmond...
But it turns out that's because your standing directly under a Covenant Carrier about to glass you.
Rxtor wrote:

Retired

Still publishing

HALO

Me writing for games

Take care everyone.
--Eric
I bow before your greatness!

Any advice for aspiring authors?
Ka Five wrote:
Boss says otherwise, "better keep quiet" hahaha :'D
Ka Five wrote:
I can't stop laughing at this. Your ruling just got overruled son! XD
Rxtor wrote:

Retired

Still publishing

HALO

Me writing for games

Take care everyone.
--Eric
Wow this is great! I'm in the middle of rereading Halo: First Strike, and it along with another forum has inspired me to write my own Halo mini series which I'm in the process of the first part now. Thank you for your amazing contributions to the Halo Universe.
So I just have to say... I think we need the halo reach customization back in halo 6, am I wrong? who agrees?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3