Halo 6 the next Halo 3?

OP Anastasius33

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Here's my premise:

Halo CE was acclaimed primarily for its masterpiece of a campaign, proving that FPS games can be about more than just killing things. However, critics thought the multiplayer was rough and needed improvement.

Halo 2 was initially criticized for the direction of its campaign primarily because half the time we were not playing as Chief, misleading ads, and because it had a cliffhanger ending (sound familiar?). While it was always popular, H2 took time to become the fan favorite it is today.

Halo 3 was critically acclaimed for the improvements made to mp as well as the addition of forge. While the campaign met some criticism (partially, interestingly enough, because now we didn't get to play as the Arbiter) and for being short, it was also praised for its emphasis on Chief and Cortana's relationship and it's giving more development to them as characters.

Now for the 343 era...

Halo 4: Acclaimed for its storytelling and development of Chief's and Cortana's personalities, but criticized by the fans for its mp and poor forge system.

Halo 5: Acclaimed for its mp and forge, but criticized over time split between Chief and Locke, misleading ads, and a cliff hanger ending.

I think 343 has big boots to fill in moving forward with the franchise, but seeing the way they took feedback on multiplayer after H4, I can't help but feel at least fairly confident that they will respond in kind when it comes to how they handle the campaign as they make Halo 6. Here's to hoping they can do it come 2018!
Success wise: absolutely
MP gameplay wise: dear god no
I hope what you're saying will come true, especially the part about Locke having way less missions (or none at all).
Nooga wrote:
are you serious the multiplayer gameplay is near perfect.
Only way this will happen is if they truly learn to listen and bring back everything missing. Plus more, since every halo until 4 had more and more.

But what they have to bring back is
  • Playable elites
  • Nearly 40 game modes
  • More old weapons... I think they actually learned this lesson.
  • Some old covonent vehicles to add more depth to the game. We currently have like 7 human vehicles and only 3 covonent...
  • There's probably plenty more...
If this happens, Halo's fanbase would most likely get back together. Nice observation.

Personally, I think that a local firefight would be nice, since some people like me don't always have xbox live gold.
Nope, current population and retention does not even compare. The population may spike a little higher but unless they actually use Halo gameplay to get the original fanbase back, unlike 4 and 5 than no.
Nooga wrote:
Bwahahahaha! Maybe compared to other games, but not compared to the original Halos.
Yeah I think there's a good chance but I have a list of 20 things they need to improve before it happen haha.
So long as 343 doesn't try to reinvent the wheel again H6 will be a really successful title.

Now that they have a solid foundation with H5? They need to make sure that H6 launches with a full suite of maps and modes. And BTB shouldn't be left solely to the forge community.
Nooga wrote:
If i want to play "Halo: 3 (Turtle Simulator 2007)" ill do it on MCC. Or ill flood a factory with knee high syrup and grab some friends to play paintball in.

Spoiler:
Show
Only we can hope.
Only way this will happen is if they truly learn to listen and bring back everything missing. Plus more, since every halo until 4 had more and more.

• Playable elites
  • Nearly 40 game modes
  • Some old covonent vehicles to add more depth to the game. We currently have like 7 human vehicles and only 3 covonent...
this would mean a return of the spectre...i really loved that thing in halo 2...its basically a hog with boost and an extra passenger seat, so not technically a reskin and thus not obsolete....wish they add it in halo 6.

while they are at it, we could probably finally have and use a shadow troop carrier in multiplayer (those things in the outskirts level of halo 2)
For now I would prefer Halo 3 remaster
Nope, current population and retention does not even compare. The population may spike a little higher but unless they actually use Halo gameplay to get the original fanbase back, unlike 4 and 5 than no.
Nooga wrote:
Bwahahahaha! Maybe compared to other games, but not compared to the original Halos.
This. I dont why you guys are fooling yourselves into thinking that the thousands of players that left are going to magically start liking 343's Call of Halo. Halo's fanbase will always be a shell of its former self as long as the games remain a shell of what came before them.
Nooga wrote:
Anyone that thinks Halo 6 is gonna be as successful as Halo 3 is delusional.

I'd honestly be surprised if Halo 6 outsold Halo 5 for the simple fact that sales have only gotten lower for every entry since Halo 3. There's little reason to think that will change.
Kots1337 wrote:
Nooga wrote:
This. I dont why you guys are fooling yourselves into thinking that the thousands of players that left are going to magically start liking 343's Call of Halo. Halo's fanbase will always be a shell of its former self as long as the games remain a shell of what came before them.
Old players leave, new players come. That is how it works. The Halo community of 10 years ago is gone, and is being replaced with a new one, one that likes spartan abilities and fast-paced gameplay. Halo will be just fine.
I still don't understand why Halo 3 is considered the golden unicorn. I thought it's multiplayer was average.

maybe you are all just young, but Halo 2 will always be the pinnacle of Halo gaming, modern gaming in general. Xbox live was a niche product until Halo 2 came out. The game literally launched the console online gaming community. It had the best map designs and balanced mechanics.
Kots1337 wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Old players leave, new players come. That is how it works. The Halo community of 10 years ago is gone, and is being replaced with a new one, one that likes spartan abilities and fast-paced gameplay. Halo will be just fine.
Except in this case there are a whole lot more people are leaving than there are new ones comin in. The population and sales are both in a downward trend. That's not opinion.

• Playable elites
  • Nearly 40 game modes
this would mean a return of the spectre...i really loved that thing in halo 2...its basically a hog with boost and an extra passenger seat, so not technically a reskin and thus not obsolete....wish they add it in halo 6.

while they are at it, we could probably finally have and use a shadow troop carrier in multiplayer (those things in the outskirts level of halo 2)
Dude I've been praying the shadow will return one day, it was such an underate vehicle... I also think the spectre and revenant should be the ones added, the prowler was just kinda wierd since it couldn't strafe...
im confident halo 6 will be good to great.
After 343 took charge of halo reach, reach was still great. Though once halo 4 happen I lost all confidence and it actually made me leave xbox for few years.
I came back to xbox buying xbox one with h5 and bo3 and gears of war... sad truth be told I only spent like 3 hours on bo3 multiplayer and haven't even installed gears of war>.> and I used to love cod too. but back to the halo side. I gave h5 a chance and it felt much better. Halo 5 had great gameplay wise but in content wise it was poor from release. So heres me hoping multiplayer will stay reachish,5ish with a lot and great content from the start for halo 6.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3