[Locked] Halo is dead... again... already

OP Gods in Pain

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
So, Halo: The Master Chief Collection had around 200,000 active twitch viewers on the day that Halo: Reach came out. That's a huge accomplishment considering that Halo can not even be listed on the top 30 most played games on its own exclusive console. Nonetheless, people came to watch Halo: Reach, but only after a few days, the number of active viewers has dropped down between 200-1,500 viewers. That means over 99% of the people who were watching Halo: Reach have already lost interest in the game.

It is apparent that people simply don't care about Halo anymore. They understand that every mainstream Halo game is going to be worse than the one before it, as we have witnessed since Halo 3 in 2007. Halo is regressing, and with it, the interest that the players have. What was a simple, enjoyable first person shooter has now turned into a ground-pounding, thruster-packing watered down -yoink- fest.

The campaigns have not been nearly as iconic or legendary as before, with 343's games settling less on war and more on human emotions (and whatever they were doing with Halo 5: Guardians. Seriously, what was that about?). The return of classic graphics sounds great (why were they removed in the first place?), but you can't help but think that Halo: Infinite will fall short just like the rest 343's games.

Surely, there are things that many players enjoy in the more modern Halos. Forge and theater mode, for example, are much better, and credit goes out to 343industries for doing such a fine job on that end. However, it is hard to imagine Halo 4, MCC, and Halo 5 being a large step down from Halo: Reach in terms of customization options, and no modern Halo campaign has been as breathtaking or captivating as the classic campaigns created by Bungie.

Modern Halo has taken away so many aspects of Halo that we have once loved. With less customization, poorer campaign quality, less game modes (especially at launch), and no vast improvements to the overall game (except for Forge and Theater), we can all agree that Halo is not once what it used to be. With the very few viewers that it has on twitch, and with the very low placement on the most played category of the Xbox One X, I think it's safe to say that Halo is officially dead.
id like to say its because 343 added a bunch of -Yoink- features nobody asked for. they bastardized all the things we liked when a simple port would've done just fine.
x99nukes wrote:
id like to say its because 343 added a bunch of -Yoink- features nobody asked for. they bastardized all the things we liked when a simple port would've done just fine.
Amen 🙏
Talk about hyperbole. If Halo was officially dead, Halo Reach wouldn't of had 140K people watching it when it released. That shows people still have an interest in Halo. We don't know why the Reach viewer numbers slowly started to go down although big streamers like summit are still playing it today, but I wouldn't count out drive-by gamers, people who had tech problems, people who just wanted a nostalgia fix, and/or Reach isn't the Halo game people want to play on PC.

I'm not really interested in your points about the other games since Halo games still sell millions despite having lower viewer counts on Twitch or Mixer.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Talk about hyperbole. If Halo was officially dead, Halo Reach wouldn't of had 140K people watching it when it released. That shows people still have an interest in Halo. We don't know why the Reach viewer numbers slowly started to go down although big streamers like summit are still playing it today, but I wouldn't count out drive-by gamers, people who had tech problems, people who just wanted a nostalgia fix, and/or Reach isn't the Halo game people want to play on PC.

I'm not really interested in your points about the other games since Halo games still sell millions despite having lower viewer counts on Twitch or Mixer.
It got revived for one day. Congratulations. Now it has less than 1% of that.
It had high twitch numbers for multiple days and MCC also has more viewers than it had in years especially when big streamers play it like today for example it has over 7k viewers. That doesn't look like a dead game to me.

Twitch viewers =/= games sales or overall interest in a franchise.
I don't watch Twitch streamers at all... I play the game. Determining that a game is dead based on views on a streaming platform doesn't capture the reality of the situation. A better measure would be the number of copies purchased, or the active population in matchmaking.
Halo dead? Halo 5 and mcc are getting updates and changes all the time. For instance we had double exp last weekend in mcc and mythic slayer in halo 5, both of which are a hit with the community as far as i can tell. We have you tube creaters making everything from videos on lore to speed runs in reach. Halo has three diferent platforms that people are streaming it on, mixer, twitch, and you tube. Halo has new toys and boks coming out. Why do i mention all of this? Becuase people are still interested and halo is still selling and being watched. Its not dead.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Regice554 wrote:
Halo dead? Halo 5 and mcc are getting updates and changes all the time. For instance we had double exp last weekend in mcc and mythic slayer in halo 5, both of which are a hit with the community as far as i can tell. We have you tube creaters making everything from videos on lore to speed runs in reach. Halo has three diferent platforms that people are streaming it on, mixer, twitch, and you tube. Halo has new toys and boks coming out. Why do i mention all of this? Becuase people are still interested and halo is still selling and being watched. Its not dead.
Halo isn't on the top 30 most played games on it's own console. For Microsoft's #1 exclusive game, that's a colossal failure.
I bought both copies of MCC (xbone and pc) granted I sold my xbox due to hardware failure, I was sad to watch halo go, but I am buying the new gen system just for my beloved chief.
Reach on PC despite its flaws is like relearning to play halo again! And honestly, over the countless deaths, I've been having a blast. Cant wait for the other ones to be playable. Halo isn't dead.
Maybe people who watched, went and bought?
I did.
Well, there's no denying it doesn't occupy the prominent industry niche it did once. As a series, Halo used to be in the top three or four most exciting and innovative franchises in gaming, period. Not anymore.

Dead, though? Not really. There's still a vibrant and engaged core player base for these games. In comparison to the days of H2/3 and Reach in its prime it looks rather pathetic, but it's not dead.

If Infinite comes out and fails to drum up any positive momentum, that's when I'll be concerned that the series may be on an irreversible downward spiral.
"The rumours about my death have been greatly exagerated" (quote attributable to Halo). :-)

In fact only Halo 3 has outsold Halo 5, which sold over 10M copies. Meanwhile Halo 5 has been in the Top 10 most owned and most played games on XB1 and had at least 8.3 Million known Installs (SteamGuage, May 2017), and not only sold more than MCC, but the H5 Campaign and missions have been played by more people than any Campaign or mission in MCC (XBox Live). So, "Halo is alive and well", and in the XBox One era, "Halo 5 is king!".

Maybe OP is right on one level though - maybe a lot of Gamers don't really want "Classic Halo" anymore - indeed, even H3's 14.5M sales (including Bundles) pales in an era when "Modern Games" like Fortnite have 250M active players, and Halo still struggles to get unto double-figured Million sales...

Remember, by 2012, Microsoft's attitude was also "Halo is dead. Maybe one more game in it, then we'll just shut down the Halo Franchise". It was Bonnie Ross and others who sought to reboot Halo, and without them there wouldn't be any Halo (MCC or H5 and Infinite) on XBox One at all. They're doing well enough for Microsoft to keep funding them. Now only Halo Infinite's sales will tell us whether that longer term idea of rebooting Halo is working out or not...
I think it would help if 343 could actually patch Halo MCC to where it didn’t crash and have all kinds of other technical problems. Five years after release and the game is still broken in a lot of areas. When you release a triple a game and it still feels like it’s in beta phase that’s going to drive a lot of gamers away for good.
Why do people think twitch viewership = population.
Twitch doesn't indicate anything. Although I will say that it seems like Halo in general has a dwindling player base because it's been a while since a triple A title has come out and the last one that did come out (Halo 5) was so different to 3 & Reach that I think people got bored.

Part of the problem is the player fragmentation between matchmaking games. Everyone that came back wants to play Reach, so players in Halo 2 and 3 playlists are low. I hope Halo Infinite resets this and goes back to the roots of Halo. These 'new' Spartans with ugly armour setups are not the Halo the fans want.
I rarely watch Twitch, so firstly like others have said, that point you used is rather invalid.

Secondly, yeah, maybe MCC isn’t the most popular game on the Xbox, but have you stopped to think that Xbox gamers have had quite some time to play that after it was fixed. Also to add to this where’s your proof that it isn’t in the top 30, for all we know you could just be a blind 343 hater just spoofing. If you aren’t spoofing they did release it on PC too, so it’s not a Console exclusive anymore. You are also talking about Halo 5, which has nothing to do with the MCC which is your main discussion point, is it not?

Lastly, Halo was rebooted in 2012 and Microsoft thought they make one final game for the series but that’s turned into years of games and investment into the series, so that would surely say otherwise about the game being “dead”. Also can we talk about population numbers in-game? Why did you never mention that? Is it because it would proof all your other points to be wrong? I never seem to have an issue finding games in the UK (and keep in mind the majority of Halo’s fanbase is from the US).

I would say that Halo is nowhere near being “dead”, and that you really brought a sloppy unnecessary argument up by basing your main points around Twitch viewers, I mean seriously? I think the real break for Halo though will be Infinite and after all this investment into the game, I have hope that it will be a rather successful game, but I keep my hopes tempered for any game as with that I’m practically guaranteed enjoyment and to not be let down. But I mean what do I know? It’s not like I’ve been playing Halo 5 and MCC recently, and just been enjoying it a lot, no, not at all.
I’m still finding matches in MCC and halo 5 so I don’t consider it ded yet.
If numbers are decreasing, maybe it has something to do with the long time between games. It seems like it used to be three years, but Halo 5 came out in 2015 and we won't see Infinite until 2020. After five years of waiting I could see some people losing interest. I don't get to play as much as I used to, so maybe that is why I don't get tired of it.

There is nothing wrong with a long wait for a game. But I feel if you are making avid players wait five years for a game, then it better have all its nuts tightened and candles wicked. I honestly don't think I could ever get tired of halo.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6