1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
Halo works in mysterious ways.. •-•
How is Twitch viewers any indication of a game being “dead”? Skyrim is at the top 25 most played, but yet as time of writing this post it has 400 viewers on Twitch... 343 just made terrible games after Bungie killed the series with Reach. Only a fool would call a game dead based on twitch views considering how many people don’t care for e-panhandlers. Whoops, I mean streamers.
Unknown wrote:
How is Twitch viewers any indication of a game being “dead”? Skyrim is at the top 25 most played, but yet as time of writing this post it has 400 viewers on Twitch... 343 just made terrible games after Bungie killed the series with Reach. Only a fool would call a game dead based on twitch views considering how many people don’t care for e-panhandlers. Whoops, I mean streamers.
Halo MCC isn't even on the top 50 most played games on Xbox and Halo 5 is barely sitting around #45.
Unknown wrote:
Halo MCC isn't even on the top 50 most played games on Xbox and Halo 5 is barely sitting around #45.
That hardly means it’s dead though. It’s still pretty easy to find matches in MCC and H5 so there is still a loyal population. You have to remember that MCC was released in 2014 and H5 in 2015. For Halo fans there has been very little to excite the last few years. The addition of Reach to the MCC would do little to entice new players. Even though it may be a highly anticipated release for fans of Reach, it’s still a game from 2010 that was largely responsible for a huge drop off in Halos player base at the time. The fact that H5 is on the most played list at all is a testament to Halos devoted fan base.
Unknown wrote:
Third party games are huge. What is killzone sitting at for playstation? The rise of esports has those titles sitting high among top played. Fortnite, apex, siege, call of duty, etc. I only have Halo 3 installed on my Xbox and it never takes long for me to find a match no matter the time. It has a healthy population despite not being the juggernaut it used to be.
I don't watch Twitch streamers at all... I play the game. Determining that a game is dead based on views on a streaming platform doesn't capture the reality of the situation. A better measure would be the number of copies purchased, or the active population in matchmaking.
I agree with your statement, hard to get a grasp on the situation from some twitch streams. I don’t worry about streams either but I play the game because it’s fun and Halo is my game. Sure the evaluation of the game maybe doesn’t have the same feel as the older halo games but that’s the way new games evolve. The ability’s give the game a more involved playing style that I actually like and that’s coming from a guy that is my peak days halo 3 was the game to play. I I guess some of the community are just hung up on the older styles of Halo because that’s when there peak playing time was going down. The older halo will alway have a place in my heart but we have to let the game evolve so the new generations can enjoy Halo like we did in our generation. I do agree with the topic is that the halo story line is of up most importance to and the campaigns need to be more.
Halo in general is not dead, the players are simply spread out between all the different halo games and ways to play
Uh, no. Not dead to me. Halo Reach pc is what I’ve wanted for years. I love it, I’m having so much fun. I tend to play more offline solo however, but the last games I’ve played were great.
I don’t care about Twitch. Streaming isn’t something I interact with, so I find it unimportant, and it certainly does not speak for all.
30 Million viewers for just MCC in week one of the PC launch. Not 200K. And not just on Twitch. Mixer, Facebook, DLive, everything.

Not often does a game in general keep those numbers long. Why so pessimistic?

It was the number 1 most purchased game on steam in its first week.

Your concept of a game being dead due to low viewership is relating video games to TV shows. They are not one and the same. It matters how many people are playing.

Look at more solid facts before you post, please.
So, Halo: The Master Chief Collection had around 200,000 active twitch viewers on the day that Halo: Reach came out. That's a huge accomplishment considering that Halo can not even be listed on the top 30 most played games on its own exclusive console. Nonetheless, people came to watch Halo: Reach, but only after a few days, the number of active viewers has dropped down between 200-1,500 viewers. That means over 99% of the people who were watching Halo: Reach have already lost interest in the game.

It is apparent that people simply don't care about Halo anymore. They understand that every mainstream Halo game is going to be worse than the one before it, as we have witnessed since Halo 3 in 2007. Halo is regressing, and with it, the interest that the players have. What was a simple, enjoyable first person shooter has now turned into a ground-pounding, thruster-packing watered down -yoink- fest.

The campaigns have not been nearly as iconic or legendary as before, with 343's games settling less on war and more on human emotions (and whatever they were doing with Halo 5: Guardians. Seriously, what was that about?). The return of classic graphics sounds great (why were they removed in the first place?), but you can't help but think that Halo: Infinite will fall short just like the rest 343's games.

Surely, there are things that many players enjoy in the more modern Halos. Forge and theater mode, for example, are much better, and credit goes out to 343industries for doing such a fine job on that end. However, it is hard to imagine Halo 4, MCC, and Halo 5 being a large step down from Halo: Reach in terms of customization options, and no modern Halo campaign has been as breathtaking or captivating as the classic campaigns created by Bungie.

Modern Halo has taken away so many aspects of Halo that we have once loved. With less customization, poorer campaign quality, less game modes (especially at launch), and no vast improvements to the overall game (except for Forge and Theater), we can all agree that Halo is not once what it used to be. With the very few viewers that it has on twitch, and with the very low placement on the most played category of the Xbox One X, I think it's safe to say that Halo is officially dead.
Halo will never officially be "dead" if there's at least one player on it. Dead implies that there is no sign of life within Halo, which is dramatically false if you look at the fact that twitch, mixer, and YouTube still have viewership numbers on them ( YouTube of which is in the thousands). Also, Halo is no longer just a game, but rather a genre. It has it's books, games, movies, shows, and toys. Sure, it's not Destiny 2 or Rainbow Six Siege or League of Legends, and it's not as popular as it was back in 2007, but it's still very much alive.
Also, to say Halo is dead based off of twitch views and a most played games list is like saying Legend of Zelda is dead based off of twitch views and the Nintendo Switch top 5 games list. But it's not.
Yes, Halo is not what it used to be, but that doesn't mean it's absolutely nothing nowadays.
Finally, I don't know where you suddenly got the idea that Halo 5 has less game types than Halo Combat Evolved, or Halo 2, or 3. If anything 343 has brought more game types to Halo over the years than Bungie ever did. And the updated Forge system only allows for even more gsmetypes in the future.
The only major thing they changed with Halo was the mobility system, the overall player control system ( which you can still play on classic controller settings), and the graphics. All games evolve eventually, so if some players can't accept evolution than that's their problem, not the entire community's.
Also, while Halo's death may seem "apparent" to you, some people still do care about the game, and that's what counts in the end. It's simple, if you don't like the game, don't play it. And if you want to go around and trash on it, be prepared to hear other people's opinions and arguments.
Edit: Oh, and I consider just the ideology of Warzone a pretty big improvement to the future of the franchise. A 12v12 gametype compared to the classic 8v8? Definitely an interesting concept.
Quote:
Edit: Oh, and I consider just the ideology of Warzone a pretty big improvement to the future of the franchise. A 12v12 gametype compared to the classic 8v8? Definitely an interesting concept.
This is one reason I continue to play Halo 5. It was a major improvement to the Multiplayer. I hated the campaign. But I am able to make really good maps on Forge. Currently I am working on two forge maps. One is Chiron and one is Wizard. Both from Combat Evolved. I need to work on a few things first before I continue making them. But being able to add better lighting and make some entrance animations make it look so much better than Combat Evolved. I am also very pleased they influded the Combat Evolved Pistol. Now.... If only they also included the Elite Plasma Rifle instead of just the Brute Plasma Rifle. That would fix my maps of Battle Creek and Gephyrophobia.
I am into Halo for the story. The multiplayer is just a bonus. And until the story ends, Halo will not be over for me.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I think you’re close, I don’t think Halo is dead - I think the original trilogy made an indelible and life-long impression on millions of fans and that will never change. It’s just that *current* Halo does not deliver on what they desire. What made them love Halo to begin with. Having major numbers on Twitch initially for Reach and the. Dropping, is not indicative of Halo “dying” - what is indicative of is the massive following ready to jump on board for a new chapter that brings Halo to its roots rather than a messy current-gen game or a decade old game.
I think op wanted the reach update to make halo great again, and in a way it did. But the gaming comunity play many games and halo dosnt have anything to keep people playing. I believe that the market is over saturated with games, especially shooters. Halo needs to draw people in without being colorfull and childish, and keep the player base. Many of us hope the new halo games wont just be a fad.
I can find matches in a reasonable time in just about any playlist. Halo is far from dead. Just because it's not the next Fortnite doesn't mean it's dead.
Not dead but it is dying

It dropped to 8k in 3 weeks from 100k. So yeah its not doing great.

https://steamcharts.com/app/976730#All
Idk, i think its an age thing. Growing up we had a new Halo game to look forward too every 2 to 3 years, sometimes 1 year. There's a larger gap now between Halo 5 and whenever Infinite releases, so i feel like the younger generation hasnt really been exposed to it as much. Theyve been exposed to Battle royales on top of battle royales and MOBAs. While I was growing up it was just Halo, COD, CS, and the basic FPS formula. I mean you can say 343 did this or that wrong but all of the Halo games are now on MCC so nothings stopping people from playing Halo 3 or Halo 2 which are arguably the best games in the series. The main twitch audience are kids who grew up playing fortnite or league of legends and overwatch, so why would they bother with Halo when they havent been exposed to it and may not know much about it.
My only opinion on them getting any more players in their games is when they release more of the games, playing H:R constantly can be a bore to some people who are just PC players, plus they've gotta compete with all the new things that came out this year and the year to come. Sometimes, it just isn't as simple as Halo being unpopular and more so that there is more than just one big fish in the sea.

As long as we - the fans - keep playing, I'm sure there will still be other people to play with, even if it's the same you meet every now and then. Either way it's just what people prefer, it's just a matter of having those fingers cross in hope there will be more.
So, Halo: The Master Chief Collection had around 200,000 active twitch viewers on the day that Halo: Reach came out. That's a huge accomplishment considering that Halo can not even be listed on the top 30 most played games on its own exclusive console. Nonetheless, people came to watch Halo: Reach, but only after a few days, the number of active viewers has dropped down between 200-1,500 viewers. That means over 99% of the people who were watching Halo: Reach have already lost interest in the game.

It is apparent that people simply don't care about Halo anymore. They understand that every mainstream Halo game is going to be worse than the one before it, as we have witnessed since Halo 3 in 2007. Halo is regressing, and with it, the interest that the players have. What was a simple, enjoyable first person shooter has now turned into a ground-pounding, thruster-packing watered down -yoink- fest.

The campaigns have not been nearly as iconic or legendary as before, with 343's games settling less on war and more on human emotions (and whatever they were doing with Halo 5: Guardians. Seriously, what was that about?). The return of classic graphics sounds great (why were they removed in the first place?), but you can't help but think that Halo: Infinite will fall short just like the rest 343's games.

Surely, there are things that many players enjoy in the more modern Halos. Forge and theater mode, for example, are much better, and credit goes out to 343industries for doing such a fine job on that end. However, it is hard to imagine Halo 4, MCC, and Halo 5 being a large step down from Halo: Reach in terms of customization options, and no modern Halo campaign has been as breathtaking or captivating as the classic campaigns created by Bungie.

Modern Halo has taken away so many aspects of Halo that we have once loved. With less customization, poorer campaign quality, less game modes (especially at launch), and no vast improvements to the overall game (except for Forge and Theater), we can all agree that Halo is not once what it used to be. With the very few viewers that it has on twitch, and with the very low placement on the most played category of the Xbox One X, I think it's safe to say that Halo is officially dead.
Perhaps the viewership drop-off has stopped watching and started playing?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6