Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo ODST sequel WHEN?

OP STEELBARBER

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It is undeniable ODST's fanbase has grown and is strong. There absolutely needs to be a sequel.
I’d definitely enjoy a sequel. Or a game similar to ODST. It was a fun change of pace and brought a lot of depth to the war on the ground during the Covenants invasion of Earth.
If we have one specifically about ODSTs, then I'd like to see one in Voi after the Chief and Arby take off to fight the Covenant on Installation 00. There was still a Flood threat being contained on Earth, so throwing in a few ODSTs in a Flood-infested Voi could be very interesting.

If we just want a game that follows up on Alpha-9, then I'd be happy with a game set during the Created Conflict. The end of Bad Blood set it up pretty well. Don't want to spoil it here, but suffice it to say, the end of that book could either lead into a spin-off game or a third book. I'm good with either, but a game would be pretty incredible.
If we have one specifically about ODSTs, then I'd like to see one in Voi after the Chief and Arby take off to fight the Covenant on Installation 00. There was still a Flood threat being contained on Earth, so throwing in a few ODSTs in a Flood-infested Voi could be very interesting.

If we just want a game that follows up on Alpha-9, then I'd be happy with a game set during the Created Conflict. The end of Bad Blood set it up pretty well. Don't want to spoil it here, but suffice it to say, the end of that book could either lead into a spin-off game or a third book. I'm good with either, but a game would be pretty incredible.
See as cool as it would be to see alpha nine in that time, it wouldn't feel like ODST anymore because they're all spartans now. I think it would be cool to play as ODST again, but I also am not sure if I actually want another ODST game because then I feel like it would detract from the unique feeling of Halo 3 ODST.

See as cool as it would be to see alpha nine in that time, it wouldn't feel like ODST anymore because they're all spartans now. I think it would be cool to play as ODST again, but I also am not sure if I actually want another ODST game because then I feel like it would detract from the unique feeling of Halo 3 ODST.
It would be kinda dope if 343 just made a second ODST using the same engine and everything from the original. Do it in Voi, like I suggested, but literally the same assets and graphics. Wouldn't be able to justify a full $60 price tag like most AAA titles, but it would make for a cool $20 or $30 campaign only release. Heck throw in another firefight to round it to $40 if it isn't too much trouble.
I joined Waypoint recently and never knew ODST was so popular now I hope a new ODST game is possible since I like it too! #ODST2
I think the best thing about ODST was how atmospheric it was. Not the characters, not the story, not the gameplay - but instead the atmosphere set by the soundtrack and the feeling of isolation while exploring a city at night. It felt so jarring meeting the corrupt police officer in the bowels of New Mombasa, because he was the first actual other real person you met in the Rookie's gameplay timeline.

If there's to be an "ODST II", I feel like it needs to be just as atmospheric in a different way. I don't quite know how - can't quite put my finger on it, but if there were a second ODST game that's what I would want.
I would love to see a direct sequel to Halo 3: ODST where Edward Buck and Alpha-Nine are the main characters again especially if it's set during Halo 3. At the same time, it will also be great to see a new Halo: ODST video game that is based on Halo: Bad Blood.

I am still hoping to see Edward Buck and Alpha-Nine coming back in future Halo video games. There is still a lot of stories they can tell with them.
i wish all of Halos campaigns where ODST like, meaning the depth they went into. but that vibe was amazing if 343i could recreate that with a different team that would be awesome.
I think the best thing about ODST was how atmospheric it was. Not the characters, not the story, not the gameplay - but instead the atmosphere set by the soundtrack and the feeling of isolation while exploring a city at night. It felt so jarring meeting the corrupt police officer in the bowels of New Mombasa, because he was the first actual other real person you met in the Rookie's gameplay timeline.

If there's to be an "ODST II", I feel like it needs to be just as atmospheric in a different way. I don't quite know how - can't quite put my finger on it, but if there were a second ODST game that's what I would want.
I think even atmospheric in the same way would be great. Have it as a direct sequel, Rookie as the main character. It’s in another night time city, with the same music. Rain and thunder sometimes would also be good. Maybe even do it so that it is exactly like ODST, Rookie goes around the city after a drop, looking for clues about Alpha-9, and with each clue a mission plays. I just think once the atmosphere of Mombasa Streets carries over into a sequel, it would be fine.

I think even atmospheric in the same way would be great. Have it as a direct sequel, Rookie as the main character. It’s in another night time city, with the same music. Rain and thunder sometimes would also be good. Maybe even do it so that it is exactly like ODST, Rookie goes around the city after a drop, looking for clues about Alpha-9, and with each clue a mission plays. I just think once the atmosphere of Mombasa Streets carries over into a sequel, it would be fine.
Unfortunately, it would be a little difficult to make another game with the Rookie and Alpha Nine squad because most of Alpha Nine are Spartans now and the Rookie
Spoiler:
Show

Unfortunately, it would be a little difficult to make another game with the Rookie and Alpha Nine squad because most of Alpha Nine are Spartans now and the Rookie
Spoiler:
Show
I know, but before that, and before they became Spartans
No point in a sequel since anyone who's good enough to be a ODST marine are good enough to be Spartans now. So they can't make it a sequel. At least one that fits with the world they are building during the reclaimer saga. Only thing they could do is make a prequel set during the early covenant wars. Which of course hinders the amount of interest since we already know how that ends and that most ODST don't survive anyway, they would probably give you a team that all or mostly dies off during the campaign ala Halo: Reach style, but without any backing lore, it won't really mean anything to anyone.
there wont be and if there is it wont be in the same spirit, bungie was feeling it at the time, hard to recreate that
That would be fine, but I don't think they will honestly 343 is doing everything to end the Master Chief saga, maybe in the near future
No point in a sequel since anyone who's good enough to be a ODST marine are good enough to be Spartans now. So they can't make it a sequel. At least one that fits with the world they are building during the reclaimer saga. Only thing they could do is make a prequel set during the early covenant wars. Which of course hinders the amount of interest since we already know how that ends and that most ODST don't survive anyway, they would probably give you a team that all or mostly dies off during the campaign ala Halo: Reach style, but without any backing lore, it won't really mean anything to anyone.
This would take place just after the original ODST, before 4, but probably during 3. Alpha-9 would be the main characters, so that problem is fixed, as people really like them
Seeing an expansion of ODST like what we had with Halo 3: ODST would be amazing. However, the hype around the ODST arc could be volatile if handled poorly. What made ODST's game so great was everything except the gameplay. The suppressed weapons were cool, but it was a port-over from Halo 3. More time was spent on the story progression, visuals, sound/music, and level design since there was little work to be done engine-wise. Either more time with Alpha-9 and Buck, or a new team and new mission.

ODST was really designed around the open world and exploration mindset. I am sure a sequel is logistically possible, but maybe not creatively with the current team's ability. I would prefer 343i take careful consideration when adapting a new story angle. Considering the controversy around the Chief's story is plentiful, I am cautiously optimistic about the future.
This would take place just after the original ODST, before 4, but probably during 3. Alpha-9 would be the main characters, so that problem is fixed, as people really like them
Trouble with that is, Buck pretty much went over the entire highlights of Alpha Nine in the New Blood book,....
Spoiler:
Show
. What exactly could be done with set up that would make a game even as remotely interesting as ODST?
Trouble with that is, Buck pretty much went over the entire highlights of Alpha Nine in the New Blood book,....
Spoiler:
Show
. What exactly could be done with set up that would make a game even as remotely interesting as ODST?
I’m thinking before New Blood, but during 3? Maybe Buck just left something out of his highlights because he’s ashamed of something that happened?
I saw a fan made post about ODST 2 on Reddit. It was just a poster with the halo 5 ODST helmet and armor with the original dark ODST colors and rain, I must say it looked really sick and got me looking forward to 343 making an ODST game in their new engine.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2