Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo Recruit - Halo VR

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
For those that haven't seen or missed the announcement, Microsoft and 343 Industries just announced Halo Recruit - a VR experience for Halo. I was one of the first folk at the Community day to get to try it out and I have to say that it was an absolute blast. I don't want to share to much about the experience itself, it's really something you need to go and experience yourself.

This is only a teaser of what could be possible for Halo and VR / Mixed reality, but it really gives you an idea of the potential. I could honestly spend an hour in the shop just playing it over and over haha. Once it launches, make sure to come back and leave your thoughts :)

You can read the announcement here on Waypoint:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/introducing-halo-recruit
Is it controlled by a keyboard and mouse or those VR controller things?
Is it controlled by a keyboard and mouse or those VR controller things?
Well. It's Halo VR so I'll let you figure it out.
So it's an introduction to Halo, a franchise that has been around for almost 2 decades, and it "isn't a game, or even part of a game"?
LbonB312 wrote:
So it's an introduction to Halo, a franchise that has been around for almost 2 decades, and it "isn't a game, or even part of a game"?
It's not really meant to be any more than that right now, as mentioned in the article it's a short experience to see how Halo would work in the world of VR. If it proves popular enough we could see more like this in the future, potentially leading to some Halo VR games or VR support in games
If this VR experience lets me go bananas with a Railgun whilst clad in my current armor, I'll be an extremely happy Canuck. Do expect me to become a big laughing mess in the process, though... :P
This is going to be really neat! Can't wait!
Holy crap. They did it. They actually -Yoinking!- did it. Well, this'll be interesting.

The fact that Kiki herself said that this isn't a game and more of an introduction to Halo in general actually sounds good to me. That, to me, sounds like Recruit is more of an experiment than anything else, just a little toe-drip in the pool to test the waters before they dive straight in. That's smart. Combining that with the hint that another title may be lined up as evidenced by the line "We're inspired and excited to do more which Alex and Bonnie may have hinted at already ;-)", I seriously think something big is coming once this whole thing is said and done. Brace yourselves, guys.
Hey, that’s pretty neat.
Further research shows that this could be a more accessible VR experience than the already existing HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

Let me start by saying Windows Mixed Reality Headsets (WMR) are still pretty darn expensive; but they don’t require as beefy computers and are around $200 US cheaper than current competitors like the Vive (which is still supported as WMR). See for yourself.
The cheapest headset costs US$399, that’s around £300, €510 or AU$510, that’s half the price of the Vive in Australia.

Still would have to save up a lot of money for it, but hey, it’s a lot more possible now than it has been.
Since this is a Windows Mixed Reality game/app, will it work on Microsoft's HoloLens? It's technically the same platform, however the minimum requirements for a Windows Mixed Reality Headset is a lot higher than the specs of the HoloLens. I'm hoping the HoloLens will be supported though cause that'd be really awesome to see those Halo characters in real life essentially and it'd also save me the trouble of having to get a WMR since they're still pretty expensive and I already have a HoloLens.
I really wish developers would abandon the 3d space / handheld aspect of VR and focus on the headset.
I would absolutely love to play a Halo game (almost any AAA game really) where I just straight up had the VR headset feel with the depth and the head tracking. Only reason I haven't bough a VR set is because I think the handhelds and the gameplay restrictions they cause are gonna kill the market and leave me with a $700 piece of abandonware.
Since this is a Windows Mixed Reality game/app, will it work on Microsoft's HoloLens? It's technically the same platform, however the minimum requirements for a Windows Mixed Reality Headset is a lot higher than the specs of the HoloLens. I'm hoping the HoloLens will be supported though cause that'd be really awesome to see those Halo characters in real life essentially and it'd also save me the trouble of having to get a WMR since they're still pretty expensive and I already have a HoloLens.
I believe the hololens is part of WMR, so theoretically it should work. But I would like to point out that the Hololens currently costs US$3000.
a part of me thinks vr isn't going to fit into halo well but another part of me wants to have sword fights.
I guess with the release of the Xbox one x, MS has all their ducks in a row to make it happen.
I really hope they don't go further into VR. Can't stand VR, people that I know get motion sickness from these types of games so if 343i planned a story based in VR...it would be a huge disappointment, be a general irritation to be forced to play a game while dealing with a gimmick.
I think this is really exciting news! There is a a lot of avenues to explore with this but ultimately, I just feel like this could be a fun way to actually step into the helmet of a spartan and be fully immersed in the halo experience, being able to actually have you HUD right there in your face or to see everything to scale. It'd be fun to see what other experiences could come of VR that are only able to be experienced through that platform, Imagine being able to drop down in a drop pod in VR! Or play as Sam with John and Kelly take on the Covenant frigate in The Fall of Reach, having do dodge plasma bolts fly at you while you EVA from from a pelican. Stuff like that is what I'm most excited for with this announcement. I can't wait to try out recruit in store!
I believe the hololens is part of WMR, so theoretically it should work. But I would like to point out that the Hololens currently costs US$3000.
I already own a HoloLens so that's why I was hoping it's compatible. That way I wouldn't need to buy another device just for this one game. My only concern with it not working is that the HoloLens is way below the minimum system requirements for a WMR headset on a PC. Microsoft did "promise" that the two devices would be equal and have access to the same apps and there are indeed some HoloLens apps already confirmed to work with WMR. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about WMR apps working on the HoloLens and the HoloLens has kind of been walking along the lines of abandonware lately.
I already own a HoloLens so that's why I was hoping it's compatible. That way I wouldn't need to buy another device just for this one game. My only concern with it not working is that the HoloLens is way below the minimum system requirements for a WMR headset on a PC. Microsoft did "promise" that the two devices would be equal and have access to the same apps and there are indeed some HoloLens apps already confirmed to work with WMR. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about WMR apps working on the HoloLens and the HoloLens has kind of been walking along the lines of abandonware lately.
Further research shows that the HoloLens is advertised along side the WMR VR Headsets as if it's one of them. The advertising implies that they can all work well together with HoloLens being the leading part of the WMR line-up, but I cannot find anything that says that everything VR works with HoloLens and vice-versa. In the 'Projections' podcast by Tested, they discussed this and I remember them saying that they don't think it would be too hard to black out the HoloLens and essentially use it as a VR headset.
Sadly, I imagine you know more than me. Halo: Recruit releases on the Windows Store on 17th October in the US for free. That's just about a week away, so the obvious thing to do would be to give it a download and hope it works. I certainly hope it will for you.
I just love the realism of height and size of the covenant it's pretty damn scary but i love it so much
I hope this is just a test and that halo 6 would have a vr mode for the full game I would love to play thru this in vr
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2