Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo Space RTS Game

OP Goldenbomber32

Dear 343i, If Halo coming to PC opens up the possibility of a official space Halo than please enlist the assistance of the Sins of the Prophets team and PEASE I beg you don’t change the basic design of the CAS and CCS class ships PLEASE. Thank you for your time.

P.S. I am saying this because while what you’re doing with Halo Infinite is extremely great, I saw those “Covenant” ships in the H5 Guardians campaign and the design both shocks me and scares me at the direction you were heading with the ships (let’s not forget that that you replaced the Charon class Foward Unto Dawn ship design with your own Strident class even though it was obviously a Charon due to the H3 campaign and legendary ending cutscene) and I would just like to say that you could do what you did with Halo 2 Anniversary similarly and tweak that design and make it look better (the Banished CAS WAS SO GREAT) I hope that this helps and also a Halo space war game would be wonderful and if done right than I would buy it in a heartbeat and the first one could be based around the Human - Covenant war. Again thank you for your time and I hope that you see this. Have a good day.

Sincerely, Halo Fan
Halo is a perfect universe for this kind of game, good idea.
You are perfectly correct and there is plenty of money to be had in this as long as it is DONE RIGHT.
You are perfectly correct and there is plenty of money to be had in this as long as it is DONE RIGHT.
What studio do you think should healm it?
What studio do you think should healm it?
Well 343i is a granted but I think that they could enlist in the help of the company that created Sins of the Prophets as they would be very beneficial to the creation of a excellent Halo Space RTS game since SOTP is a VERY popular mod that caused people to buy Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (along with many other great mods). As far as other companies go I couldn’t really suggest any others, but with an official Halo Space War RTS game they could certainly expand upon what is there with SOTP like maybe as the Covenant while glassing planets you can zoom in farther on a planet and see Covenant ships all over glassing the planet. They could also take it farther than SOTP by expanding to the battle for the Ark, the various other battles against the splinter factions, and the second battle for the Ark between the small SOF UNSC group and the Banished (as well as possible different outcomes for the Flood outbreak from High Charity in which the Gravemind could certainly still be there).
monkaS I hope everything goes well
I've been wanting a Halo space-based game since long before Halo Fleet Battles was released. I'd like to see it resemble Halo Fleet Battle's mechanics somewhat, though with more variety and nuanced ballancing. I'd really like to see a cinematic playback mode where all movement and shooting is done concurrently, creating a real-time view of the battle we meticulously planned out one-ship at a time. It'd be really cool to watch the different types of weapons striking out as others are incoming.

I'd also like the "balancing" to be in the number of ships, keeping the ships' armor and weapon power as close to canonical as possible.
Eh, I can't see me playing a space RTS if you're talking about a spaceship battle style game.
JNDreher wrote:
I've been wanting a Halo space-based game since long before Halo Fleet Battles was released. I'd like to see it resemble Halo Fleet Battle's mechanics somewhat, though with more variety and nuanced ballancing. I'd really like to see a cinematic playback mode where all movement and shooting is done concurrently, creating a real-time view of the battle we meticulously planned out one-ship at a time. It'd be really cool to watch the different types of weapons striking out as others are incoming.

I'd also like the "balancing" to be in the number of ships, keeping the ships' armor and weapon power as close to canonical as possible.
Interesting but I feel that a Halo Fleet Battles style video game wouldn’t really catch people’s eyes much including that of a Halo player due to it basically being a board game transferred into video game form plus the SOTP allows for so much opportunities like playing the would human - covenant war out in one game setup (would take lots of time to complete of course), being able to manage multiple fleets, glass planets and find Halo Installations that you can fight for and a chance of releasing the parasite.
May I recommend the awesome PC/Mac game Gratuitous Space Battles from Positech Games https://store.steampowered.com/app/41800/
JNDreher wrote:

Interesting but I feel that a Halo Fleet Battles style video game wouldn’t really catch people’s eyes much including that of a Halo player due to it basically being a board game transferred into video game form plus the SOTP allows for so much opportunities like playing the would human - covenant war out in one game setup (would take lots of time to complete of course), being able to manage multiple fleets, glass planets and find Halo Installations that you can fight for and a chance of releasing the parasite.
Oh! I hadn't considered a galactic war space-battle game. I definitely see the merits of it. I like the idea of pre-building a fleet then having the battle (as tabletop wargaming typically works), but I understand that most people would probably prefer the SotP style where you're building fleets and upgrading technology over the course of a game, simulating a whole war.

Either way, I still think the biggest thing for me is that I'd want the individual ships' durability and weapons to have their canonical power and ranges, so we actually have canonical depictions of what Halo's ship-based weapons can do (we have planets getting glassed to varying degrees in the novels, but we don't get much that we could analyze.