Forums / Community / General Discussion

Halo Turn-Based Tactics Game

OP Hanlapeno

Here's a fun idea. What if we had a game like Xcom, but with a Halo skin? It sounds perfect.
Halo has a ton of customization with the Spartans, and you could create your own awesome looking squad of Spartan IVs. There are tons of different weapons, both human and alien, that can be researched to make the game more fun. We have armor abilities which could be used in-game as a special ability with a cooldown, in order to pull off something awesome. There are a variety of aliens and other threats we could face off against, especially with all additions in Halo Wars. We could even have some base building aspects by having a personal ship, a la the Infinity.
This is an untapped market that Halo would do amazingly in. Especially since it's massive on PC, and could do just as well on the Xbox.
What does everyone think?

Edit:
Additionally, it could have a firefight mode where you defend a generator or something against an endless horde, which could be fun and a change of pace from the rest of the game since you're the defender now.
The game could also be more story focused like Mutant Year Zero (I haven't actually played that, but I think it's story based), following a fireteam of Spartans or ODSTs. If they really wanted to, they could even tell some of Noble Team's backstory with this, as you control them during different operations.
That honestly sounds like a great spin off. Like spartan assault to except not bad. I never played xcom, but I've played games similar to it on the old psp. Great idea!
I can see more experimentation in this direction with the Halo series if Gears Tactics proves a successful deviation for GoW.
Hanlapeno wrote:
Here's a fun idea. What if we had a game like Xcom, but with a Halo skin? It sounds perfect.
Halo has a ton of customization with the Spartans, and you could create your own awesome looking squad of Spartan IVs. There are tons of different weapons, both human and alien, that can be researched to make the game more fun. We have armor abilities which could be used in-game as a special ability with a cooldown, in order to pull off something awesome. There are a variety of aliens and other threats we could face off against, especially with all additions in Halo Wars. We could even have some base building aspects by having a personal ship, a la the Infinity.
This is an untapped market that Halo would do amazingly in. Especially since it's massive on PC, and could do just as well on the Xbox.
What does everyone think?

Edit:
Additionally, it could have a firefight mode where you defend a generator or something against an endless horde, which could be fun and a change of pace from the rest of the game since you're the defender now.
The game could also be more story focused like Mutant Year Zero (I haven't actually played that, but I think it's story based), following a fireteam of Spartans or ODSTs. If they really wanted to, they could even tell some of Noble Team's backstory with this, as you control them during different operations.
I could definitely see that idea come to fruition in the future. If they did make a game like it, I hope you can play as the Covenant, so the game would have two stories. One as the UNSC and the other as the Covenant.
Not my style of game but I think it'd work perfectly. Gears is doing it and Halo already has a some spin offs in other genres so I could easily see this happening.
More Halo-based strategy games, the better! Halo Wars was a great addition to the lineup of Halo games and would love to see more out of the Strategy/Tactics genre.

Honestly, if done correctly, I wouldn't even mind a cool Halo mobile tactics or turn-based spin-off, as well. I'd be cool to get more little games on PC, Xbox, or even Mobile that have their own fun elements and maybe even give out special little treats/rewards for the bigger games... (i.e. titles or avatars in Halo MCC, Infinite, next Wars, etc...) It definitely would be a weird change for the community expecting only Wars and regular Halo but since being an all-time old school fan since CE came out, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing something new and refreshing come out, just like when Halo Wars came out!

343, don't follow the same Blizzard's Diablo Immortal advertising/reveal tactics and you should be good to go! :P
What's the point?

There is little reason to believe that 343, which has no experience with turn-based strategy games would be able to pull off a game that wasn't just a reskinned X-Com... and if all you want is a reskinned Halo X-Com- then just play X-Com with one of the many mods available for it.
That is a wonderful idea!
They could show us how they are diverse they are in their development of their games and they could also divert from the standard FPS Halo Game(which is a good game) and expand their genres of games.
It would also be great if they added “Faction Campaigns”. Maybe one for the Spartans and UNSC, and the other for the Covenant.

Great Idea!
Vicex EMS wrote:
What's the point?

There is little reason to believe that 343, which has no experience with turn-based strategy games would be able to pull off a game that wasn't just a reskinned X-Com... and if all you want is a reskinned Halo X-Com- then just play X-Com with one of the many mods available for it.
I don't think they had much if any experience in the RTS department either, which is why another company handled the actual development of Halo Wars 2 (Bungie IIRC was in control at the time of Halo Wars 1, but another company still was the one that actually made it. In this case, Ensemble Studios)

So it really depends on who they pick to help build the game.
I can see more experimentation in this direction with the Halo series if Gears Tactics proves a successful deviation for GoW.
Definitely think the same, I wonder if the Gears office is far for the teams to collaborate and share.
@Shawn4Japan, I don't know about geographically, but my understanding is that all devs under the MS umbrella are encouraged to cross-pollinate good ideas and vibes amidst each other, especially 343i and the Coalition on the grounds of their being the gatekeepers for the biggest gaming IP's in Microsoft's entire repitoire.

So hopefully 343i is keeping close watch on Gears Tactics!
That sounds fun. I'm all for spin-offs focusing on a different game genre, like what Halo Wars did with RTS's.