6. 12
  7. 13
  8. ...
  9. 17
Pyro Certified badge.
Pyro Certified badge.
for doing what
Thanks man, learned a few things today
More badges would give the incentive for more people to use the Waypoint and progress on another Halo platform
Moyer wrote:
More badges would give the incentive for more people to use the Waypoint and progress on another Halo platform
The point of badges isn't to motivate people to interact with the community - it's to show who interacts with the Halo community on their own free volition.

It's just a side bonus for doing a thing that shows you're part of the community. You do the thing because you want to do the thing, not because of some kind of motivation. The badge is just a side bonus.
Moyer wrote:
The point of badges isn't to motivate people to interact with the community - it's to show who interacts with the Halo community on their own free volition.

It's just a side bonus for doing a thing that shows you're part of the community. You do the thing because you want to do the thing, not because of some kind of motivation. The badge is just a side bonus.
Thanks I guess? I find on this platform you have people who are just against your opinions and ideas
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

Thanks I guess? I find on this platform you have people who are just against your opinions and ideas
I wouldn't say "against", necessarily. Some of us have just been around for awhile and provide a lot of clarification on intent or purposes. See any of my posts on this topic, or any that the 343 staff or moderation team posts. We're not looking to "correct" or fix what people say or think, just gently guide them in the original direction.
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

I wouldn't say "against", necessarily. Some of us have just been around for awhile and provide a lot of clarification on intent or purposes. See any of my posts on this topic, or any that the 343 staff or moderation team posts. We're not looking to "correct" or fix what people say or think, just gently guide them in the original direction.
Going back to the beginning, I’d made a suggestion about badges which is what the forums on and you’re wanting to guide me in the original direction?
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

Going back to the beginning, I’d made a suggestion about badges which is what the forums on and you’re wanting to guide me in the original direction?
No, sorry - I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I'm attempting to shine some light on the purpose/existence of forum badges. They don't exist merely as a post counter, or to encourage people to post on the official forums instead of Reddit or Discord, etc - (mostly because badges already exist for this type of thing (statistician/feet first), as well as forum rank). They exist to encourage people to contribute to the community experience in different ways during different points in the lifespan of Halo.

The fact that there are 30 different badges that could be earned over 10 years of Waypoint forums (without the three starting ones), means that on average, about 3 times a year there's an opportunity to do something in the community that warrants a badge. I think that's a pretty good amount.
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

I'm attempting to shine some light on the purpose/existence of forum badges. They don't exist merely as a post counter, or to encourage people to post on the official forums instead of Reddit or Discord, etc - (mostly because badges already exist for this type of thing (statistician/feet first), as well as forum rank). They exist to encourage people to contribute to the community experience in different ways during different points in the lifespan of Halo.

The fact that there are 30 different badges that could be earned over 10 years of Waypoint forums (without the three starting ones), means that on average, about 3 times a year there's an opportunity to do something in the community that warrants a badge. I think that's a pretty good amount.
This forum is about suggestion for possible future badges. And my initial comment was it would be nice to see more. I don’t see where you’re taking this?
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

This forum is about suggestion for possible future badges. And my initial comment was it would be nice to see more. I don’t see where you’re taking this?
I'm just encouraging you to think in the direction and purpose of badges so that you can give constructive feedback.

Unless you have a specific idea, there's not necessarily a point in saying "I think there should be new badges". It's the classic situation of criticizing a problem without offering an improvement or different solution. There are already badges for accessing your stats, joining a Spartan Company, and getting into Waypoint, as well as forum ranks for posting. And like I said previously, badges don't act like a carrot dangled in front of the community to get them to participate - it's just a cool way of sporting your flair for different ways you do participate in the community.
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

I'm just encouraging you to think in the direction and purpose of badges so that you can give constructive feedback.

Unless you have a specific idea, there's not necessarily a point in saying "I think there should be new badges". It's the classic situation of criticizing a problem without offering an improvement or different solution. There are already badges for accessing your stats, joining a Spartan Company, and getting into Waypoint, as well as forum ranks for posting. And like I said previously, badges don't act like a carrot dangled in front of the community to get them to participate - it's just a cool way of sporting your flair for different ways you do participate in the community.
I think there should be other badges but that doesn't mean I have to come up with ideas on the spot. You're replying to me like you're all high and mighty. What happened to Halo players getting along? Your first response was to criticise me for a suggestion, my idea and thoughts. That's something you can't take away from me. I think more badges would encourage other Halo players to use the forums for wider reasons. Is that the answer that you wanted?
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

I think there should be other badges but that doesn't mean I have to come up with ideas on the spot. You're replying to me like you're all high and mighty. What happened to Halo players getting along? Your first response was to criticise me for a suggestion, my idea and thoughts. That's something you can't take away from me. I think more badges would encourage other Halo players to use the forums for wider reasons. Is that the answer that you wanted?
Sorry you're taking my constructive criticism for personal criticism. I was looking to engage you in a deeper dialogue about maybe finding some good ideas for new badges that would encourage others to contribute to the community in new ways, but I suppose that isn't going to happen.
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

Sorry you're taking my constructive criticism for personal criticism. I was looking to engage you in a deeper dialogue about maybe finding some good ideas for new badges that would encourage others to contribute to the community in new ways, but I suppose that isn't going to happen.
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:
Moyer wrote:

Why don't you take that to DM's. Please and thank you
For a badge idea, there could be one that is passed on to other halo players at a time. Maybe in the shape of a baton, have a 343i member pass the badge onto someone in the community so that they have achieved it and then they pass it on to someone else, having 24hours to pass it on before it is then randomly allocated to someone else?
Thanks so much dude!
I think it would be cool to see some new badges. Maybe getting them as rewards by completing commendations or getting rare achievements?
WOW ths helps a lot thanks.
I think it would be cool to see some new badges. Maybe getting them as rewards by completing commendations or getting rare achievements?
Commendations and achievements in-game are designed to be their own reward, especially for the individual. Badges are more meant to symbolize community involvement in a more abstract scale than just playing the main console Halo games.
I want another badge for fighting against 343 on a special day, because I didn't get lucky enough to match them for other in game events. I would like to try my hand again at earning one.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 9
  4. 10
  5. 11
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. ...
  9. 17