Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

How has getting older physically affected playing?

OP Me Da Uber Pwnr

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed any problems as you are getting older, in your playing? I'm not technically old, I'm just 30, but with that being said, I notice things changing. For instance, my vision, and noticing things at a slower rate. It's either that, or my brain works slightly slower than it used to, when seeing/ pulling the fire trigger. The change I notice isn't like some crazy amount, from year to year, but say it's only 1%, that's still a 10% decrease the last 10 years 😑... I wondered if I was crazy, so I googled it. As it turns out, I'm not lol, Here's a really cool article someone did on aging & gaming. On a side note, also as I get older, my drive to play competitively, is basically non-existent. I don't believe that has anything to do with age, but more to do with how all my friends quit playing Halo/ migrated to other franchises.
Mostly for me it is my reflexes, responses and reactions are slower but that might be due to the meds I am on more so then age. I was diagnosed with ADD and anxiety so multiplayer is an overwhelming and overthinking stress fest.
Only thing I noticed was on rare occasions my finger will hurt from holding the controller.
BIGB EC wrote:
Mostly for me it is my reflexes, responses and reactions are slower but that might be due to the meds I am on more so then age. I was diagnosed with ADD and anxiety so multiplayer is an overwhelming and overthinking stress fest.
I get that man, it could be a mix of both honestly. I used to rarely have a bad day every now and then on halo. Now days, I rarely have a truly good day 🤣
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Only thing I noticed was on rare occasions my finger will hurt from holding the controller.
Oh I definitely hear that! My big one is my thumbs, particularly my right thumb. About every 2 mins, whether being used, or not, it'll do this slight lockup thing. I have to quickly bend it, it makes a slight pop, and is good to go again...
If you're 30, you're old. I'm hitting 32 and am already shopping for coffins. It's only down hill from here.
But yeah, I feel old--all these kids and their "streaming" nonsense. That's what affects my gaming, knowing that my "hobby' has been transformed into a commodified pro-influencer shallow-fest of mediocrity.

In all honesty, my wrists have been kinda killin' me, both on keyboard and controller. What does it matter, the future ain't for us anyway; there's only one way out--quick and painless.
WolfV11 wrote:
If you're 30, you're old. I'm hitting 32 and am already shopping for coffins. It's only down hill from here.
But yeah, I feel old--all these kids and their "streaming" nonsense. That's what affects my gaming, knowing that my "hobby' has been transformed into a commodified pro-influencer shallow-fest of mediocrity.

In all honesty, my wrists have been kinda killin' me, both on keyboard and controller. What does it matter, the future ain't for us anyway; there's only one way out--quick and painless.
I hear ya man lol, I didn't want to come across as thinking I'm super old, while being 30, but like you said, it really is old, in online gaming terms at the very least. I'm probably 60% of what I used to be like in mp. In something like swat, I'm at a huge disadvantage, because by the time I see/ go to shoot, the younger peeps already have me dead, due to my hunched over brain cells being slow as poo. That being said, it still don't stop me from playing, and I'm still able to give out plenty of spanks as of now lol... Yes man, I know what you mean. My kids watch streamers playing, and I'll never understand why. What is the point? I mean really? You could be actually playing a game, but instead, you'd rather watch someone else playing a game, while talking as loud as they can, about random nonsense!? I don't get it lol...
WolfV11 wrote:
If you're 30, you're old. I'm hitting 32 and am already shopping for coffins. It's only down hill from here.
But yeah, I feel old--all these kids and their "streaming" nonsense. That's what affects my gaming, knowing that my "hobby' has been transformed into a commodified pro-influencer shallow-fest of mediocrity.

IM over 50 sooo 😱😥😪😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Well ya fingers start to get numb ya shoulders will start to get stiff and hurt,
Spoiler:
Show
You spend way more time strolling through games admiring the scenery wishing they had done it 30 to 40 years ago, detests Twitch and Mixer as it is a panhandlers wet dream come true.

Oh and you can retire or get pensioned off due to several different reasons and have way more time for gaming, except you find out that after a couple of hours you hands arms and body in general will start to shows sighs of wear an tear by hurting more then they use to. So you may have more time to game but can do it less.

Now to find me a Coffin ⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰
WolfV11 wrote:
I hear ya man lol, I didn't want to come across as thinking I'm super old, while being 30, but like you said, it really is old, in online gaming terms at the very least. I'm probably 60% of what I used to be like in mp. In something like swat, I'm at a huge disadvantage, because by the time I see/ go to shoot, the younger peeps already have me dead, due to my hunched over brain cells being slow as poo. That being said, it still don't stop me from playing, and I'm still able to give out plenty of spanks as of now lol... Yes man, I know what you mean. My kids watch streamers playing, and I'll never understand why. What is the point? I mean really? You could be actually playing a game, but instead, you'd rather watch someone else playing a game, while talking as loud as they can, about random nonsense!? I don't get it lol...
Look at it like sports. It is like saying why watch basketball when you can play it? Because they are better and you probably don't feel like playing yourself.
Single player and story driven games have become more attractive to me with age. I don’t really care about competitive multiplayer anymore. Maybe I’ve gotten slower with age but it feels more of a mental thing than physical. I still enjoy a challenge.
Rxcluze wrote:
WolfV11 wrote:
I hear ya man lol, I didn't want to come across as thinking I'm super old, while being 30, but like you said, it really is old, in online gaming terms at the very least. I'm probably 60% of what I used to be like in mp. In something like swat, I'm at a huge disadvantage, because by the time I see/ go to shoot, the younger peeps already have me dead, due to my hunched over brain cells being slow as poo. That being said, it still don't stop me from playing, and I'm still able to give out plenty of spanks as of now lol... Yes man, I know what you mean. My kids watch streamers playing, and I'll never understand why. What is the point? I mean really? You could be actually playing a game, but instead, you'd rather watch someone else playing a game, while talking as loud as they can, about random nonsense!? I don't get it lol...
Look at it like sports. It is like saying why watch basketball when you can play it? Because they are better and you probably don't feel like playing yourself.
I'd much rather play baseball than watch it. The only reason I watch it is because I have an active rooting interest and camaraderie with likeminded fans, which I don't have with any streamers or e-sports teams.

Back on topic though - I think the biggest change I've noticed is simply time. I'm 29, but I can't sit down and do 3 hour jam sessions of matchmaking or something every night. I'm lucky if I can sit down and play one night during the week and on a weekend. My body hasn't slowed down (video game wise) yet, but my time alotted to play has drastically decreased.
I'd say I'm quite a bit slower than I used to be.
I'm less tolerant of children screeching in my ear and quicker to mute those I find distasteful. I'm less willing to reach out, to accept those friend requests or invites than I was even a decade ago.
I find myself attracted to different games than I would have when I was young. I generally just want to play to relax for a bit or to gain a novel experience or a new story as opposed to being more interested in heavy action and 'x was so cool' moments.
I have far less time to play and am more likely to play in short sessions compared to the marathon sessions I did when I was young.
While I'd say there has been some physical deterioration, it's mostly a shift in my priorities. A shift in who I am as opposed to what I can do. I've always been distinctly average in terms of skill and that hasn't changed to much.
I tend to be prouder of the moments where I anticipate what someone will do and respond in kind than simply out br-ing or dmr-ing the cat that come at me.
I’m 29 and my biggest thing has been losing the drive to play a lot. I used to game all night until the sun came out. I could still do this on the weekends, but I would rather play a few matches then go to bed, if I even play at all. I’ve got too much work around the house to be exhausted all day Saturday. Even on the week days I find myself going days without even turning on the Xbox because I would rather just watch something on tv.

I think part of my problem is that there hasn’t been any games that really excite me lately. Hopefully Infinite is fun enough to bring me back into the fold
30 isn't old. Seriously people. That's only 1/3rd into most people's lives by modern spans. Get to mid 50s then you can start calling yourself old. This nonsense needs to stop.

On topic, I've improved at the game as I've gotten older. Though this could in large part be due to PC simply being far easier to play well on due to the superior refresh rate, FPS, lower input lag, and greater and aiming precision, as well as practice, and a much more calculated approach to the game rather than brute force.

My console skills have gone terrible but that's because I haven't played console seriously for a decade, and playing halo with a controller stresses me out so much as I just feel like I have no control or precision at all. I used to be okay at it, so definitely, practice makes a big impact. You can't expect to get your old skills back within a few days.
WolfV11 wrote:
That's what affects my gaming, knowing that my "hobby' has been transformed into a commodified pro-influencer shallow-fest of mediocrity.
Now that's just an excuse and you know it. Twitch is COMPLETELY optional, you don't have to watch it. Games with compelling core values and no focus on cash grabs are still being produced, and just because some games are streamed extensively, it does not mean you can't just play & enjoy them for yourself and not watch the streams.
30 isn't old. Seriously people. That's only 1/3rd into most people's lives by modern spans. Get to mid 50s then you can start calling yourself old. This nonsense needs to stop.

On topic, I've improved at the game as I've gotten older. Though this could in large part be due to PC simply being far easier to play well on due to the superior refresh rate, FPS, lower input lag, and greater and aiming precision, as well as practice, and a much more calculated approach to the game rather than brute force.

My console skills have gone terrible but that's because I haven't played console seriously for a decade, and playing halo with a controller stresses me out so much as I just feel like I have no control or precision at all. I used to be okay at it, so definitely, practice makes a big impact. You can't expect to get your old skills back within a few days.
I wouldn't say that 30 is old by conventional standards, but for people that have been gaming for years, it definitely seems like it. According to a 2019 article on gaming, the most active demographic of gamers is boys under the age of 18, which makes sense. So, when those boys (us) have been gaming for 20 years, I think it's only natural to see the changes in oneself during that time period.
WolfV11 wrote:
That's what affects my gaming, knowing that my "hobby' has been transformed into a commodified pro-influencer shallow-fest of mediocrity.
Now that's just an excuse and you know it. Twitch is COMPLETELY optional, you don't have to watch it. Games with compelling core values and no focus on cash grabs are still being produced, and just because some games are streamed extensively, it does not mean you can't just play & enjoy them for yourself and not watch the streams.
I agree with this take.
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed any problems as you are getting older, in your playing? I'm not technically old, I'm just 30, but with that being said, I notice things changing. For instance, my vision, and noticing things at a slower rate. It's either that, or my brain works slightly slower than it used to, when seeing/ pulling the fire trigger. The change I notice isn't like some crazy amount, from year to year, but say it's only 1%, that's still a 10% decrease the last 10 years 😑... I wondered if I was crazy, so I googled it. As it turns out, I'm not lol, Here's a really cool article someone did on aging & gaming. On a side note, also as I get older, my drive to play competitively, is basically non-existent. I don't believe that has anything to do with age, but more to do with how all my friends quit playing Halo/ migrated to other franchises.
Lol this is a funny forum lol
I've been lucky in the not having time to play department. That's only because I don't sleep alot, which is something I started doing because of Halo 2, so that comes full circle lol... I don't play all nighters like I used to sometimes, but I still can play about the same amount as I did when I was younger, before adulting happened. Now I just wait until I the kids are in school, or at bed at night. I do appreciate the graphics alot more, but I also think h2 is still the goat, I think it's beautiful as is, though h2a is perfectly beautiful as well 🤘... I also don't friend people, try to party up with strangers, or anything anymore either, nor do I ever play with a mic like I used to always do.
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Most of my close friends that I've played with since high school have stopped playing now that we're in our mid thirties. Mostly because they have family now and other priorities have became more important than gaming. Personally, becoming older means I can't stay up late playing like I used to. Sometimes the drive is not there because I'm just mentally tapped out from work. Other than that, not much has changed honestly. Maybe I've losted a step or two but I'd like to think I can still handle myself well enough =D
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Most of my close friends that I've played with since high school have stopped playing now that we're in our mid thirties. Mostly because they have family now and other priorities have became more important than gaming. Personally, becoming older means I can't stay up late playing like I used to. Sometimes the drive is not there because I'm just mentally tapped out from work. Other than that, not much has changed honestly. Maybe I've losted a step or two but I'd like to think I can still handle myself well enough =D
I get that 110% man! Same here! Some days I get in from work, even my off days to be honest lol, after I get the chores done, and the kids to bed, I just drop into bed, instantly falling asleep. I don't think I'll ever lose the drive to play Halo, I pray to the guardians I don't. I don't have any interest in playing other games, I haven't had that urge since h2 dropped. I guess if Halo is ever retired, and the games become dropped from online mp, like h2 was in those dank cold dark days, I will retire from gaming as well. That, or if I die first.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Only thing I noticed was on rare occasions my finger will hurt from holding the controller.
LOL! I honestly haven't noticed much other than I don't have patience for super sweaty, competitive, try hard playlists anymore. Growing older has meant gaming time is becoming harder to find and, therefore, becoming more precious. I want to enjoy the time I play Halo. I play alot of social playlists and Firefight in Halo 5 as I'm attempting to max out rank before Halo Infinite drops.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3