Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

How has getting older physically affected playing?

OP Me Da Uber Pwnr

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Alan J T wrote:
So just wondering why are so many peeps in this thread having vision problems at a early age I am over 50 and my vision has only gone down from 22/20 to 20/20 over the past few year's, I was blessed with better than Average Eye sight,
In saying that I am the only family member who dose not have to wear glasses my Children, my sisters, Parents, and Nephews, Nieces and cousins all wear them most for Long Vision.
And I have also noticed that when I was at school back in the early 1980 almost no one wore glasses. About 1 in 50 I guess had glasses, now it seems almost ever second student in school wears them.
That's a good question sir! Idk if it's maybe where people around 30, and under, maybe was up close to a monitor, more so than other gens. Idk that it even has a negative effect on vision, but it seems like it would. What I lean more toward, is the negative stigma that was around, for people that wore glasses. It wasn't long ago, that they were considered to be nerdy, or ugly. Say a lady wore glasses, Vs one that didn't, the people liked the one that didn't wear them. Fast forward to today, there's tons of people that wear cosmetic glasses, that do nothing, they just like the look. What I'm saying is, what if there was just as many people needing glasses, in your generation, they just chose to not get them, to avoid that negative stigma.
I think its largely to do with being born in a world that is nothing but screens everywhere. And kids always put them RIGHT in their faces. I think maybe those of us born in the 90s were the last generation to not have that be SO prevalent, but even then most of us grew up with some kind of screen devices. That’s assuming you’re not born with an already existing eye problem, because there’s plenty of that and they can detect it much sooner.
Alan J T wrote:
So just wondering why are so many peeps in this thread having vision problems at a early age I am over 50 and my vision has only gone down from 22/20 to 20/20 over the past few year's, I was blessed with better than Average Eye sight,
In saying that I am the only family member who dose not have to wear glasses my Children, my sisters, Parents, and Nephews, Nieces and cousins all wear them most for Long Vision.
And I have also noticed that when I was at school back in the early 1980 almost no one wore glasses. About 1 in 50 I guess had glasses, now it seems almost ever second student in school wears them.
That's a good question sir! Idk if it's maybe where people around 30, and under, maybe was up close to a monitor, more so than other gens. Idk that it even has a negative effect on vision, but it seems like it would. What I lean more toward, is the negative stigma that was around, for people that wore glasses. It wasn't long ago, that they were considered to be nerdy, or ugly. Say a lady wore glasses, Vs one that didn't, the people liked the one that didn't wear them. Fast forward to today, there's tons of people that wear cosmetic glasses, that do nothing, they just like the look. What I'm saying is, what if there was just as many people needing glasses, in your generation, they just chose to not get them, to avoid that negative stigma.
I think its largely to do with being born in a world that is nothing but screens everywhere. And kids always put them RIGHT in their faces. I think maybe those of us born in the 90s were the last generation to not have that be SO prevalent, but even then most of us grew up with some kind of screen devices. That’s assuming you’re not born with an already existing eye problem, because there’s plenty of that and they can detect it much sooner.
Indeed man, I know from the time that I can remember, which was 94', I have always had a computer with games, or tv with a game system. Being an only child, it was all I had to do, other than ride my go cart lol, so that's literally all I done, ride go cart/ game. Then Halo CE hit, and that was alot of what I done in my spare time. When h2 dropped though, my life only consisted of playing on Xbox Live, when I wasn't in school. That's also when I started only sleeping 4-6 hours each night lol... So basically, is Microsoft liable for my glasses, and optometrist bill? Could I be waiting on a settlement perhaps? Not that Microsoft wasn't a very good parent, as they always let me have fun 🤣
Alan J T wrote:
Indeed man, I know from the time that I can remember, which was 94', I have always had a computer with games, or tv with a game system. Being an only child, it was all I had to do, other than ride my go cart lol, so that's literally all I done, ride go cart/ game. Then Halo CE hit, and that was alot of what I done in my spare time. When h2 dropped though, my life only consisted of playing on Xbox Live, when I wasn't in school. That's also when I started only sleeping 4-6 hours each night lol... So basically, is Microsoft liable for my glasses, and optometrist bill? Could I be waiting on a settlement perhaps? Not that Microsoft wasn't a very good parent, as they always let me have fun 🤣
I was born in ‘96, so my first experience with anything on a screen other than like Sesame Street was at about 5-6 years old, trying out a friends Super Mario and Spiderman on an n-64, I think? A few years later I tried out Halo CE on another friend’s Xbox, later Halo 2, but I happened to mostly play outside until around about 12–13 years old. That’s when gaming really took off in my age category, and TVs were getting cheaper and the internet was getting bigger, and phones were morphing into what I used to consider to be an iPod 😆 I grew up in a weird time and a weird way, getting an eclectic mix and really growing up during a big change in the late 90s/early 2000s. Once I hit high school that was it, I got my first console, an Xbox 360, and my limited experiences with gaming at friends houses turned into my own personal hobby for once. I went all out on Halo and Cod, mostly.
Alan J T wrote:
I was born in ‘96, so my first experience with anything on a screen other than like Sesame Street was at about 5-6 years old, trying out a friends Super Mario and Spiderman on an n-64, I think? A few years later I tried out Halo CE on another friend’s Xbox, later Halo 2, but I happened to mostly play outside until around about 12–13 years old. That’s when gaming really took off in my age category, and TVs were getting cheaper and the internet was getting bigger, and phones were morphing into what I used to consider to be an iPod 😆 I grew up in a weird time and a weird way, getting an eclectic mix and really growing up during a big change in the late 90s/early 2000s. Once I hit high school that was it, I got my first console, an Xbox 360, and my limited experiences with gaming at friends houses turned into my own personal hobby for once. I went all out on Halo and Cod, mostly.
Indeed man! We grew up in an awesome gaming time. Things changed soooooo much from 96-2006... We got to experience the Halo 2 phenomenon as well. When anyone that had Xbox Live, had Halo 2, and would play at a moment's notice. The same with Halo 3. That's something that noone new to halo, will ever get to have experienced, and that's really sad to me 😞... We do have hope, in the form of Infinite, that it will bring Halo back to the top of the online FPS world, to its rightful spot 🤘
I play on lower sensitivities and I'm not as fast or reactive as I used to be. I used to always lead my team now most of the time I come in 2nd leading my team. I also have trouble seeing I already had issues with my eye back then, now it feels like the weapons take up too much of the screen.
I play on lower sensitivities and I'm not as fast or reactive as I used to be. I used to always lead my team now most of the time I come in 2nd leading my team. I also have trouble seeing I already had issues with my eye back then, now it feels like the weapons take up too much of the screen.
This right here, this man gets it! That's me too bro, you're not alone! I used to play on 10 sensitivity, but now I struggle to do a decent job on 7. I used to have a bad game, maybe every 20-30 games. Now I only feel like I have a truly good game, once every 20-30 games lol... It's still 110% fun though 🤘🤘
This right here, this man gets it! That's me too bro, you're not alone! I used to play on 10 sensitivity, but now I struggle to do a decent job on 7. I used to have a bad game, maybe every 20-30 games. Now I only feel like I have a truly good game, once every 20-30 games lol... It's still 110% fun though 🤘🤘
I think at the end of the day, as long as we're having fun we're fine. On the positive side I get Laser Sprees a lot easier in Reach now then I did in the past.
My back cracked when i was trying to just sit down the other day and I was thinking about this too.
My back cracked when i was trying to just sit down the other day and I was thinking about this too.
I hear you lol... I lived life very idiotically in my teen years, with many broken bones, and I pay for that now with arthritis lol... If I only would've listened to the village elders 😁
I am 16 now and I feel like I am hitting that peak performance or at least my skill is skyrocketing rn but I grew up on halo and halo really shaped how I played all games such as Call of Duty, Apex, Fortnite all those games my aim is almost perfect due to playing halo for years against my family. It also helped my hand-eye coordination hella lot. But I bet when I get older my reaction times will get a lot slower but for rn, it's going up until I hit age 28 or somewhere around there.
I am 16 now and I feel like I am hitting that peak performance or at least my skill is skyrocketing rn but I grew up on halo and halo really shaped how I played all games such as Call of Duty, Apex, Fortnite all those games my aim is almost perfect due to playing halo for years against my family. It also helped my hand-eye coordination hella lot. But I bet when I get older my reaction times will get a lot slower but for rn, it's going up until I hit age 28 or somewhere around there.
Yeah man, 16-18 was probably my peak range, enjoy it man! I definitely understand the shaping from it. All the games, other than GoldenEye, that I had played prior to CE, wasn't really FPS games. I learned how to play FPS on CE split screen, but at h2's launch, with online play, that's where the real torture started. It wasn't until playing online, that the real training began lol... On split screen, you only have to get as good as your gaggle of friends that play with you are, while online, there's always someone better around the corner. I love it, and idc if I'm 80, with the worst reaction time imaginable, I'll still be playing Halo Online, Guardians willing.
I used to do hardcore gaming when I was 13, I stopped at 17, its been only 5 years of break, and I'm only 22, and did noticed a decrease in everything, probably its just practice for me right now, but still, something does not feel right.
I started playing when I was much younger than I should have been, and now I really feel my passion is just growing and my game-play just keeps improving.
time. i literally have no time to play lol
I dont play as much as I do. Age, time, career building, personal life, writing. Story games have more of my investment than a variety of multiplayer games. As a twenty seven year old man, I still have it in me. Will for a while.
Usually I play just above average. I started playing Star Wars: Battlefront II on Xbox One earlier this month. Started out bad. Have had several great games and lots of bad ones.
Also having a family causes Halo to take a back seat :/
All these replies from people saying they're only late 20's, early 30s, and that their reactions and vision have already started to go to pot. Really? That's unfortunate to hear.
So you can't devote even a mere 20-30 minutes a week to Halo?
In my experience 99% of the time when people say they "don't have time to do something" what they're really saying is they'd rather be doing something else.
I get that families occupy a lot of time, but if your family occupies literally 100% of your disposable time, then something is wrong. If you'd rather spend what disposable time you DO have doing something else than playing video games, that's fair enough. But don't tell us it's because you "don't have enough time". Lol.
All these replies from people saying they're only late 20's, early 30s, and that their reactions and vision have already started to go to pot. Really? That's unfortunate to hear.
In my experience 99% of the time when people say they "don't have time to do something" what they're really saying is they'd rather be doing something else.
I get that families occupy a lot of time, but if your family occupies literally 100% of your disposable time, then something is wrong. If you'd rather spend what disposable time you DO have doing something else than playing video games, that's fair enough. But don't tell us it's because you "don't have enough time". Lol.
I think comparatively, especially people that game, it's easy to tell that your vision has decreased in effectiveness over the past 10-15 years. I think several studies have indicated that human males are sort of at their peak when they're 18-20 years old, with strength peaking around 25. Depending on your physical shape and condition, it's very easy to tell the difference in a decade. Most of us naturally become more sedentary as well, as we settle into desk jobs and routines, and aren't as active as we used to be competing in rec or high school/collegiate sports.

And yeah, devoting 20-30 minutes a week to Halo can be difficult. I could have accomplished everything I wanted to do for a day/night, and then at 8:30 PM on a Tuesday not want to put in the effort of booting up my Xbox, get into a Halo lobby, warm up, and then start playing. If I can't play for at least an hour or so at a time, there's no point. I might as well read a book, answer a few emails, or do some smaller tasks instead of trying to play two or three games of BTB a week.
one cannot simply play one match of Halo.

i play every week whether its from console or xCloud. But I like the quality of Halo experience, I want to sit down, throw on my Astros, and be immersed in Halo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3