Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

How important is the Canon to you for multiplayer?

OP MaldyMaldy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I thought about how halo has always tried to be true to Canon for every aspect of the game including multiplayer. Multiplayer has now been revolved around the return of the spartans and is a training program which means every spartan in multiplayer is technically Canon in a sense. This is a good attention to detail and an awesome touch to the halo universe in my opinion.

But...

Now we don't have playable elites, brutes, or prometheans. This is a small thing to most, but it has been a debatable topic to some. What do you guys think? Should Canon affect multiplayer?
Canon never did effect multiplayer until Halo 4. I personally don’t like that. I think slayer should just be the game mode that you slay your friends in.
I just want them to explain why they removed all the missile pod mounts on Valhalla
If they kill you in arena, do they really kill you? I've always questioned that.
In multiplayer? Not at all. In fact I believe it limits and holds back the creative potential for cross-game content. Like how would they canonically explain, say the Doom Slayer's armor, in multiplayer if they ever decide to add it to the game? They can't. But if they forego that route then you have near limitless potential. Like look at the characters in Gears 5, and to a greater extreme: Fortnite. Now by no way am I saying let's add characters from every franchise they can.
It made multiplelayer and fire fight just... cringe. I hate making mp have a reason to exist is just playing stupid. Halo 5 didn't quite shove it down our throats but it was still annoying
In multiplayer? Not at all. In fact I believe it limits and holds back the creative potential for cross-game content. Like how would they canonically explain, say the Doom Slayer's armor, in multiplayer if they ever decide to add it to the game? They can't. But if they forego that route then you have near limitless potential. Like look at the characters in Gears 5, and to a greater extreme: Fortnite. Now by no way am I saying let's add characters from every franchise they can.
It also ruined how the Master chiefs mk VI didn't match the multiplayer Mk Vi... then in halo 5 they said it was gen 1 (but chiefs is technically gen 1)
It's not important to me in the slightest bit during multiplayer.
MP shouldn't have been made canon.
I kinda like how multiplayer was made canon, it made sense but as you say there are a lot of downsides which people are understandably frustrated about. It will be interesting to see if multiplayer is canon in Halo: Infinite if the UNSC Infinity has truly been destroyed.
Canon multiplayer is cool but excessive. You don't need to explain how all gameplay elements work in-universe, it's cool here and there, like the armour descriptions. But it reaches a point where it simply does not make sense. Gameplay elements do not need to fit the story if it makes the game more fun, and vice-versa; story shouldn't have to explain gameplay where it doesn't add anything.
Canon never did effect multiplayer until Halo 4. I personally don’t like that. I think slayer should just be the game mode that you slay your friends in.
Yeh I agree
I don't care about canon in mp at all. Should be 100% about the gameplay.
If it makes multiplayer more fun i would rather it not be canon. *ahem* playable elites.
This is the most true quote here.
Its probably better if the mp was just some fun, PVP experience, rather than trying to tie into canon
Its probably better if the mp was just some fun, PVP experience, rather than trying to tie into canon
Yeah, it can take away some of the fun aspects that used to be in mp.
I've always wondered why people disliked the notion of MP being canon starting with Halo 4. I really think people made an issue out of it when there was little reason to do so.

Ultimately, I think MP being canon is superfluous; it wasn't needed, but I see no harm in its inclusion. If someone doesn't like that aspect, they can freely ignore it. Or if someone likes injecting themselves within Halo's universe, there's one more opportunity to do so.

Until the day there is true, tangible evidence that MP being canon actually restricts, holds back, or removes features from it, I don't see a problem with it.
tL Armada wrote:
I've always wondered why people disliked the notion of MP being canon starting with Halo 4. I really think people made an issue out of it when there was little reason to do so.

Ultimately, I think MP being canon is superfluous; it wasn't needed, but I see no harm in its inclusion. If someone doesn't like that aspect, they can freely ignore it. Or if someone likes injecting themselves within Halo's universe, there's one more opportunity to do so.

Until the day there is true, tangible evidence that MP being canon actually restricts, holds back, or removes features from it, I don't see a problem with it.
Kinda does hold back mp though. People sometimes complain about elites not being a similar size or shape hit box to spartans and thats possibly the reason why elites became unplayable eventually, (and this could also explain why playable brutes that have been asked for since halo 2 were never implemented as well). This also explains why elites were only for one certain game mode in reach before eventually being completely removed for halo 4/5. Instead of being altered to match the hit boxes and play style of the spartans, they were removed. Why not shrink the elites or brutes down a bit, maybe adjust their stance to have the same hit boxes? Things could've been done to have a more diverse and creative mp experience but as far as most people are concerned, they didn't want to interfere with the Canon biology of the other species and left them out of the game entirely.

It also explains the removal of powerups and how they are now equipment pickups. It looks cool and ties into a more believeable thing for a spartan to have, but it alters the gameplay in a way that isn't necessary. Some instances, it can even slow down gameplay a bit.
MaldyMaldy wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
Kinda does hold back mp though. People sometimes complain about elites not being a similar size or shape hit box to spartans and thats possibly the reason why elites became unplayable eventually, (and this could also explain why playable brutes that have been asked for since halo 2 were never implemented as well). This also explains why elites were only for one certain game mode in reach before eventually being completely removed for halo 4/5. Instead of being altered to match the hit boxes and play style of the spartans, they were removed. Why not shrink the elites or brutes down a bit, maybe adjust their stance to have the same hit boxes? Things could've been done to have a more diverse and creative mp experience but as far as most people are concerned, they didn't want to interfere with the Canon biology of the other species and left them out of the game entirely.

It also explains the removal of powerups and how they are now equipment pickups. It looks cool and ties into a more believeable thing for a spartan to have, but it alters the gameplay in a way that isn't necessary. Some instances, it can even slow down gameplay a bit.
Elites not being playable isn't because MP became canon, though. They could have been the same size like in Halo 3 or larger like in Reach. That's not really dependent on lore.
343i has also stated that Elites train with Spartans under the Anvil Initiative, so there's more reason for them to be included than not, if one takes the lore into consideration.

When we look at Mini Slayer from Halo 4; the wackiness of Fiesta Slayer; the pizza and fry weapon skins; the Timmy, Olive, and FOTUS armor from Halo 5, I don't think 343i are as much sticklers for canon as is thought.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2