Forums / Community / General Discussion

How to improve Customization

OP Forged Yami

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I know I have already made a similar Post, but that was a long time ago.. and some new ideas have surfaced.
Halo Reach was one big step into the right direction. Halo 4 went one step back, and Halo 5 several.
It's very sad to know that Halo 3, a 10 Year old Game, has more Spartan appearance options than Halo 5 (Helmet, Chest, left and right Shoulders), and let's not forget the playable Elites.
Not only do 90% of the Armor and Helmets in Halo 5 not even look like Halo (putting it mildly here), but also you're not able to mix your Armor around, and create your own Spartan like in Reach.
In Halo 5's Campaign, you can see that each member of Fireteam Osiris is wearing a different undersuit, and every playable Character has a different HUD. Now, it can't be that hard to implement those into Multiplayer. Even if they didn't have enough time to do so, there is something called Game Updates.
Halo 4 and 5 did add some good features too. We also gotta point out the good things 343 did, so we can keep them, and/or improve upon them, like the Stances, or Assassinations for Example.

Here is how I picture the ideal Customization Options:

Appearance:
Helmet - With add-ons, such as Cams and extra plating
Torso - With add-ons, such as Ammo-packs and Grenade-belts
Left Shoulder
Right Shoulder - Both shoulders with add-ons, such as Knifes and Bullets
Forearms - With add-ons, such as Bullets and Tacpads from Reach
Legs - With add-ons, such as the Utility from Reach
Knee Guards
Robotic Limbs
Undersuit - You can choose from a few Designs, and toogle secondary Color on and off
Skins - Instead of having 5 variants of the same Armor just with different Skins, you earn Skins you can use on any Armor
Roughness - You can change the Roughness on your Armor
Armor Effect - The same ones from Reach, plus a few new ones, like Blue Disintegration by death
Lights - Change the Light Color in your Armor
Color - With Colorwheel, primary, secondary and the detail Color from Halo 3
Visor - With Colorwheel, primary and secondary Colors (different Patterns and cracked/bloody Visors can be earned)
HUD - The HUD Color will be the same as your Visor
Spartan Voice - Is used for Spartan chatter in Multiplayer, and for Firefight (different Voices can be unlocked)
Note: Sangheilis will almost have the same Options as Spartans, minus a few obviously

Player:
Emblem - Like in old Halos, you can create your own Emblem
Emblem Color
Nameplate - More like Halo 5, incluedes Animated ones
Nameplate Color
(You would have your Nameplate in the background, your Emblem on the left, followed by your Rank and Gamertag)
Stance and Rotation - You can also choose the Weapon you're holding
Assassination - You can preview the Assassinations
Weapon Skin
Announcer - Choose the Voice of your Announcer (different Voices can be unlocked)
Preferred Species - Choose between a Spartan or a Sangheili (Female Sangheilis will also be playable)

If we had so much Variations, we wouldn't need 200+ Armor Sets. We could settle with 10-20 Sets that look good, and still be able to mix them all together and create interesting combos. Remember 343, Quality over Quantity..
I agree 100%

The beauty is, the REQ system could still work (it stinks, but MT not going away). Have 30-40 legit awesome core helmets and armor 'sets' and then have options / add-ons for each. So a REQ drop could be a cam for a helmet, for example, instead of my 223rd helmet that looks like the OG ET has returned.
Perfection. I totally agree with you, Yami.. (:
It would be Epic to have such a Pool of Options to create your own Personal Spartan.. Do u mean by different Visor Patterns the HUD Patterns like the Ones, we see in the Campaign (the Customization Option we talked about earlier) or the Patterns in the Visor itself (Like in Chief's Visor, Outside of the Helmet..)? If it's the Second u left this Part out, otherwise it's just simply the Dream of Customization Options for a Halo Game.. Hope many People see this, that our Voice gets louder and louder till someone hears us, hopefully..

Edit.:
There's only 1 Thing I dislike.. The Return of Weapon Skins.. Halo 4 was still okay, but if I'm looking at the Halo 5 Ones.. I rather have no Weapon Skins, than all of Halo 5s.. I dislike like every One of them.. It's simply.. I don't know.. I feel, like I'm playing an other Game, everytime I see a Thron, Pizza, Cat or Rainbow Skin on any Weapon..
J Teeps wrote:
I agree 100%

The beauty is, the REQ system could still work (it stinks, but MT not going away). Have 30-40 legit awesome core helmets and armor 'sets' and then have options / add-ons for each. So a REQ drop could be a cam for a helmet, for example, instead of my 223rd helmet that looks like the OG ET has returned.
I'm not a fan of the REQ system either, but you're right, it won't go away. Add-ons and other smaller things like Weapon skins could be in the REQ-pool, I wouldn't mind that. But I want to be able to earn Helmets and Armors again, like in older Halos, and not in a random pack.
It would be Epic to have such a Pool of Options to create your own Personal Spartan.. Do u mean by different Visor Patterns the HUD Patterns like the Ones, we see in the Campaign (the Customization Option we talked about earlier) or the Patterns in the Visor itself (Like in Chief's Visor, Outside of the Helmet..)? If it's the Second u left this Part out, otherwise it's just simply the Dream of Customization Options for a Halo Game.. Hope many People see this, that our Voice gets louder and louder till someone hears us, hopefully..
Thank you ^.^ Yeah, I meant the Pattern on the Visor itself, not the HUD. Some Visors in Halo 5 have different Patterns, some even none at all. So it would be cool to have all imaginable Colors from the start in a Colorwheel, and instead of unlocking Colors you unlock Patterns and things like Cracked visors, Bloody visor, maybe even a Glowing Visor.. and so on.
Thank you ^.^ Yeah, I meant the Pattern on the Visor itself, not the HUD. Some Visors in Halo 5 have different Patterns, some even none at all. So it would be cool to have all imaginable Colors from the start in a Colorwheel, and instead of unlocking Colors you unlock Patterns and things like Cracked visors, Bloody visor, maybe even a Glowing Visor.. and so on.
Ouh.. Okay.. That would be quite cool actually.. Combine that with the Idea I brought up earlier and you could have so many cool looking Combos (From both, the Player's and the Teammate/Foes Perspective). The Options would be countless! :0
J Teeps wrote:
I agree 100%

I'm not a fan of the REQ system either, but you're right, it won't go away. Add-ons and other smaller things like Weapon skins could be in the REQ-pool, I wouldn't mind that. But I want to be able to earn Helmets and Armors again, like in older Halos, and not in a random pack.
Yes, I really hope that there are many more earned armors in Halo 6. Also excited to see daily and weekly challenges again. Miss that from Reach / Halo 4.
I would also add another Customization Option..: Vehicle Skins.
Instead of Having 200 different Hogs I would like to see only One Hog (Not the Weakest, not the Strongest, 343i should find a Balance), that u can give different Skins.

How I would handle the Upgraded Weapons of some of the Variants (Like the Explosive Rounds of ONI Hogs or the tracked Rockets from ONI Manti)we talked earlier, too, so I won't bring it up here.. It doesn't fit the Topic 100% anyway.. Only sort of, since it would be a ReqPoint/Customization Hybrid, if u remember. (:

Edit.: This could bump up the ReqPool, too.. We could, instead of "earn" the different Vehicles, just simply "earn" the Skin for every Vehicle.. So there would be an Arctic Mongoose Skin, an Arctic Wasp Skin and so on..
May I suggest battle damage as a customization option? For the past while, the armors and helmets - for the most part - are typically very clean or had minimal wear to them. This is especially apparent with the MJOLNIR GEN2 in Halo 4 / 5. So why not purposely "trash" our armor with all sorts of damage?

This can range from:
  • Gashes, scratches, and dents
  • Bullet holes, plasma marks, and scorch marks
  • General dirtiness and water marks
  • A cracked visor
  • Damaged, rusted, or missing armor bits (exposing live wires and the inner workings)
  • Blood stains (Human, Covenant, etc)
  • Foreign objects or shrapnel stuck in your armor
  • Damaged undersuits (exposed skin and wounds)
HaXoR73 wrote:
May I suggest battle damage as a customization option? For the past while, the armors and helmets - for the most part - are typically very clean or had minimal wear to them. This is especially apparent with the MJOLNIR GEN2 in Halo 4 / 5. So why not purposely "trash" our armor with all sorts of damage?

This can range from:
  • A cracked visor
  • Damaged, rusted, or missing armor bits (exposing live wires and the inner workings)
Well, if you read above, I did write "Roughness", where you can choose if your Armor is very rough (alot of damadge to it, and the color fading away, scratches which reveals the metal), or very Clean. But your Idea goes further, I like it. Specially the Plasma marks.
HaXoR73 wrote:

This can range from:
  • A cracked visor
If I can have Covenant blood staining my fists I will be an incredibly happy Spartan.
Completely agree.
love these ideas, here's one that I can't believe I hadn't thought of before, is paint designs. basically instead of tertiary colors taking some small piece of armor, it'd color some cool paint job on your armor. some designs might be
  • camo
  • stars
  • stripes
  • symbols (forerunner or covenant)
  • flames
  • lightning
  • lights (certain parts might glow. cool for customization but maybe not best for stealth)
this pretty much perfect!
Personally, I'd avoid asking too much. So all I want is simple:
Helmet
Visor
Torso
Left Shoulder
Right Shoulder
Forearms
Legs

Primary Color
Secondary Color

Halo 4 had the best balance of customization. Reach's attachments felt a little TOO in-depth and I'd rather see them used not-at-all if they can't be used for every helmet.
I really love Reach and 4's customisation, so I feel like Halo 6 could definitely do with those kinds of customisation options. Halo 5 looks gorgeous and runs amazingly, but after a while you run into Spartans that are just a little too similar to your own and it really makes me feel a bit... less unique?

I'd love the ability to change the colour of the Techsuit underneath the armour as well. So rather than the Techsuit's colour being determined by your Primary Armour colour, you can choose it independently.

Also the ability to add little flares, like a scratched Skull on the visor, (ala Emile) or an armband of Sniper Rounds, a sheathed knife, a Robotic arm, a dented and scratched version of the same armour (think of it like a skin overlay rather than an entire new piece of armour).

I think those kinds of changes would definitely improve customisation.

Everyone's already said the other basics; Helmet, Torso, Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Leg, Right Leg, etc. Those are kind of necessities, but I'd really love to see the others I mentioned.
I believe that the halo reach armor customization was great. if they could blend that with some special rank related armor sets it would be perfect.
I hope 343 goes back to Reach with armor having battle worn look. But more importantly I wish they'd look at other games and realize players love spending time customizing their characters.
Take a note from CoD and give us some unique-looking skins to unlock through ingame achievement.
The (gold -> diamond -> black sky) camo unlock system is amazing and I'd love to see something similar in Halo... preferably with less tacky camos... but still!

REQ system is fine, I like it, but give us something to earn ingame. I need challenges to grind for or I get bored.
I hate the REQ system. Nothing more annoying than opening a gold pack and it's something lame like a weapon/vehicle cert and a weapon mod and no armor.

Reach had it right, unlock armor based on rank and achievements and purchase what you want instead of leaving it to chance.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2