Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

How to make Halo 6's campaign the best yet

OP Arc Trooper 48

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Having played through all of the halo campaigns, I have a good idea of what worked and what didn't. So here, I've compiled a few things that I think would make the gameplay of the campaign the best. Note: this doesn't focus on the story. If you don't want to read everything, just read the bold to get the main point. ske7ch, if you like some ideas, feel free to pass them to the right people :)

1. Limit the squad mechanic to only a few missions (and possibly a Spartan ops kinda thing). LateNightGaming and Hidden Xperia talked about how the squad mechanic limits the options you have and gives every mission a similar mood. Think of the 343 Guilty Spark mission. It would lose much of its scary tone and mood if you had three other Spartans with you. Here's the link to Hidden Xperia's most recent video on it.

2. Make some missions linear, but others missions very open. Halo 5 was more on the linear side of things, but that's not always a bad thing. In fact, my all time favorite halo mission, Metropolis, was very linear. If everything is linear, then its start to be a bad thing. Halo CE was my least favorite halo campaign, but it did the open missions like "halo" and "the silent cartographer" perfectly. Just try to get a good blend of both.

3. Make the skyboxes beautiful and don't limit the campaign to a constant 60 fps. I know this isn't necessarily gameplay, but I feel like it would make halo 6's campaign just that much better. A big reason why I love halo 2A is because the skyboxes are beautiful. Once again, I loved Metropolis' skybox because you could see the entire futuristic city of New Mombasa, the Covenant capitol ship hovering over the city, and the gigantic space elevator. Also, the Gravemind mission has one of the best skyboxes ever. When you go outside, you can see the entire city, the roof, and the dreadnought. I was stunned by it. I should also mention the Sanghelios skybox where you look out over the ocean and see Sunaion with the low toned flute and guitar playing. Great job with that 343. If the game is locked at 60 fps, the game makes graphical sacrifices. For instance, the Promethean death animation is downgraded most of the time. If you look at the E3 preview, you'll see they disintegrate into a whole bunch of sparks that fly everywhere. In the final game, there are only a few sparks and a bright light to hide it. If there's a way to have no graphical downgrades but keep the 60 fps, I'll take it. If not, I'd be fine with some frame rate drops.

4. Don't have similar environments be different missions. Halo 2 and 5 do this a lot. For instance, Delta Halo and Regret (I think that's what the second mission is called), Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone, and a few other missions in halo 2 that I forget the name of, all have one thing in common: the two missions have the same setting. Halo 5 has Swords of Sanghelios and Enemy Lines, Reunion and Genesis, and the Meridian missions. Halo 3 and 4 did this great. Each mission had a different environment whether it be a jungle, a desert, a crash site, etc. Just give each environment something new.

5. Make the campaign longer. No, it isn't short because we have gotten better. It's short because the objectives are too fast. Something that may help is putting harder enemies in, making the objectives harder and more stretched out, and just trying to put more "level" in there.

6. Put cool moments and big battles in some of the levels. I think of running down the guardian, jumping off the bridge to board the scarab, piloting the saber, piloting the pelican, piloting the broadsword, the warthog runs. These were all very cool things that I'd like to see more of. Maybe add a few others where you're in a pelican and you have to choose when to jump out, and you would start the level where you landed. You guys are creative, so I'm sure you can think of a few more :). Also, we need big battles. Think of halo 3 "the Covenant" or "the Ark" big battles. They were so cool and uplifting and I hope they return. With big battles means lots of marines, and we need our marines back, especially Chips Dubbo.

Edit: 7. The placement and world-building of the music. Music can do a whole lot for a level. For example, it turned the Breaking, a normal linear mission, into one of my favorite in halo 5 simply because the Trials fit so perfectly with it. It can also push a good level into a great level. Midnight from halo 4 was a good level, but the song Arrival made it one of my favorite halo levels (I wouldn't be upset if Arrival managed to find its way into halo 6). However, I believe the music can be improved. The placement needs to be a bit better. Kamchatka is played a lot and it kind of takes the mood out of that song (IMO). Along with placement, there needs to be more world building music. What I mean by this is when you think of an environment, you think of the song that goes with it. Sanghelios has this, but Genesis and Meridian don't. A walk in the woods theme would help with this. Also, a few more warthog run songs would be appreciated as well.

8. More chief missions. Locke is fine, but we want to play as the chief. If Locke will have his own levels, make it only 50% or less of the campaign. I don't think I have to explain why. Or even better, do what halo 3 did: having the main player play as Chief, but player 2 as the Arbiter.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff, so if you have anything to add, tell me, and I'll try to add it in.
Here ive got an idea: Let us play more as chief, not some boring Spartan 4 GOD pushed on us.

P.S. Make the campaign BETTER
You forgot one very important bullet point: 7. Keep the Campaign true to its marketing rather than rewriting it at the last minute, and have an experienced Halo writer be the main writer for it this time around.
I agree with almost all of your points. Halo 5's campaign, on top of having a horrible story, just had the feeling of being the same the whole time. Within 15 (or 12, if you don't count the talking missions) mission, we had...what...5 different environments? Two snow levels, a bunch of Meridian ones that all look the same, a bunch of Sanghelios ones that look the same, a bunch of Genesis ones that are identical, and one space station one. It's disappointing, really, that they went with the whole Star Wars vibe of a planet only having one single environment.

I mean, Sanghelios isn't Tatooine, there's no reason that the whole thing should be a desert. There should be green planes, dense rainforests, among many other types of environments. And why is Genesis just all green with strange-looking plants? Halo rings and Requiem had a variety of environments, and so should Genesis. None of it felt remotely varied at all.

And I also agree about the squad mechanics, I'm not a huge fan of them in general. You never feel like all of the odds are stacked against you, you're never in any danger. Your example of 343 Guilty Spark was perfect. The Flood wouldn't appear nearly as menacing if you always had 3 other Spartans with you. Halo 3 did this type of thing correctly. You had many missions where the Arbiter joined you, but a lot of the time you were alone as well. The feeling of being alone is one that should not be overlooked, as it adds some suspense to the story.

The only thing I can't agree on is removing the constant 60FPS. We shouldn't have to sacrifice a good framerate to get a great looking game. The Halo 5 Beta looked amazing, and Halo 2 Anniversary looked amazing as well. There's no reason that Halo 6 can't look great as well.
Warthog run v2
Continuity is the thing they really need to go for with Halo 6. Halo 1 - 4 had continuity. Halo 5 felt so disconnected from the first 4 games thanks to comic books and spartan ops. They really need to make sure 6 doesn't feel disconnected like 5 did.
Hotrod192 wrote:
I agree with almost all of your points. Halo 5's campaign, on top of having a horrible story, just had the feeling of being the same the whole time. Within 15 (or 12, if you don't count the talking missions) mission, we had...what...5 different environments? Two snow levels, a bunch of Meridian ones that all look the same, a bunch of Sanghelios ones that look the same, a bunch of Genesis ones that are identical, and one space station one. It's disappointing, really, that they went with the whole Star Wars vibe of a planet only having one single environment. Hey we agree on something. HUZZA! Anyways, yah most look the same. I personally think that out of Genesis, Meridian, and Sanghelios, their are only a few unique ones (Battle of Sunaion, Guardians, and the Breaking). The rest each have another level or two that look the same.I mean, Sanghelios isn't Tatooine, there's no reason that the whole thing should be a desert. There should be green planes, dense rainforests, among many other types of environments. And why is Genesis just all green with strange-looking plants? Halo rings and Requiem had a variety of environments, and so should Genesis. None of it felt remotely varied at all. I think Meridian only has one environment (because it was glassed and all). I'm sure Sanghelios is not just desert, but we only got to see the desert and a kamino-like city. Genesis, we actually got to see a lot of snow on the mission guardians, but the rest should've been more than just a moist, lush, green, mushroomy environment.And I also agree about the squad mechanics, I'm not a huge fan of them in general. You never feel like all of the odds are stacked against you, you're never in any danger. Your example of 343 Guilty Spark was perfect. The Flood wouldn't appear nearly as menacing if you always had 3 other Spartans with you. Halo 3 did this type of thing correctly. You had many missions where the Arbiter joined you, but a lot of the time you were alone as well. The feeling of being alone is one that should not be overlooked, as it adds some suspense to the story. Agreed and thanks for the compliments :)The only thing I can't agree on is removing the constant 60FPS. We shouldn't have to sacrifice a good framerate to get a great looking game. The Halo 5 Beta looked amazing, and Halo 2 Anniversary looked amazing as well. There's no reason that Halo 6 can't look great as well. I think I forgot to explain my reasoning for this. If the game is locked at 60 fps, the game makes graphical sacrifices. For instance, the Promethean death animation is downgraded most of the time. If you look at the E3 preview, you'll see they disintegrate into a whole bunch of sparks that fly everywhere. In the final game, there are only a few sparks and a bright light to hide it. If there's a way to have no graphical downgrades but keep the 60 fps, I'll take it. If not, I'd be fine with some frame rate drops.
Responded in bold.
Continuity is the thing they really need to go for with Halo 6. Halo 1 - 4 had continuity. Halo 5 felt so disconnected from the first 4 games thanks to comic books and spartan ops. They really need to make sure 6 doesn't feel disconnected like 5 did.
Sylxeria wrote:
You forgot one very important bullet point: 7.Keep the Campaign true to its marketing rather than rewriting it at the last minute, and have an experienced Halo writer be the main writer for it this time around.
That is more of a story issue and not really a gameplay issue, so I didn't really go over it. I'm thinking about doing this for the story also, so that'll definitely be included.
Here ive got an idea: Let us play more as chief, not some boring Spartan 4 GOD pushed on us.

P.S. Make the campaign BETTER
Added it in. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sylxeria wrote:
You forgot one very important bullet point: 7.Keep the Campaign true to its marketing rather than rewriting it at the last minute, and have an experienced Halo writer be the main writer for it this time around.
That is more of a story issue and not really a gameplay issue, so I didn't really go over it. I'm thinking about doing this for the story also, so that'll definitely be included.
Well in that case I say make Master Chief the main character again. I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 missions with you playing as Arbiter but the focus needs to be on John.

I also wasn't a big fan of the Squad gameplay. I think the game was more fun when Chief was on his own (it also was better for the atmosphere of the game).
Music definitely helps. Imagine the Halo 3 Warthog run without the music. It'd be completely different. Another thing that I'd say is take advantage of the squad thing. Have 4 Spartans go 4 different routes and all have different objectives. Be completely separated from each other not always clumped together. For example, in Halo 3 the Covenant mission, Chief, Arbiter and Johnson all separate to disable 3 generators. Something like that.

EDIT: I'd also like less squad missions, but I doubt that it won't be in Halo 6.
Sylxeria wrote:
Well in that case I say make Master Chief the main character again. I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 missions with you playing as Arbiter but the focus needs to be on John.

I also wasn't a big fan of the Squad gameplay. I think the game was more fun when Chief was on his own (it also was better for the atmosphere of the game).
Someone beat you to that suggestion and I already added it in :)
Sylxeria wrote:

Someone beat you to that suggestion and I already added it in :)
I know. Just giving my 2 cents. I wouldn't mind if they brought back campaign challenges like in Reach and 4. And I really want to see the return of things like the vid master achievements. Those were the best and made for great times with friends.
Music definitely helps. Imagine the Halo 3 Warthog run without the music. It'd be completely different. Another thing that I'd say is take advantage of the squad thing. Have 4 Spartans go 4 different routes and all have different objectives. Be completely separated from each other not always clumped together. For example, in Halo 3 the Covenant mission, Chief, Arbiter and Johnson all separate to disable 3 generators. Something like that.
Yah the warthog run would be so much less memorable without the music.

If the squad system does return for a few missions, I'd like to see it more complex as well. I'm not the biggest fan of your suggestion though. I don't want the AI completing the mission for me if you know what I mean.
Something I didn't see mentioned: Non-Combat Missions. The concept seems nice, but in the end, they are little more than just filler. If such sections must exist, I'd prefer they be incorporated into the other missions, rather than separate just to inflate the mission count.

If the squad system does return for a few missions, I'd like to see it more complex as well. I'm not the biggest fan of your suggestion though. I don't want the AI completing the mission for me if you know what I mean.
Yeah, Halo is known for bad AI. Hopefully Creative Assembly stays because their work of AIs is beautiful. But I was looking at it for the Co-Op perspective of it. Maybe they could do something where the AI walks in a door, door locks, AI disappears and later on you'll hear "All done!" or something like that where the AI doesn't do anything.

Yeah, Halo is known for bad AI. Hopefully Creative Assembly stays because their work of AIs is beautiful. But I was looking at it for the Co-Op perspective of it. Maybe they could do something where the AI walks in a door, door locks, AI disappears and later on you'll hear "All done!" or something like that where the AI doesn't do anything.
I think it's mainly known for bad friendly AI *cough cough Kat cough cough.* The AI in halo 5 I didn't think were too good. They just kinda stood there and never moved to cover.

If it wasn't supposed to be a part of the mission or anything, then that's fine. It's when the AI complete part of the mission that I'm supposed to do is what I don't like.
Something I didn't see mentioned: Non-Combat Missions. The concept seems nice, but in the end, they are little more than just filler. If such sections must exist, I'd prefer they be incorporated into the other missions, rather than separate just to inflate the mission count.
Ah yes I completely forgot about those. My opinion on them is the same as yours: they have the opportunity to be a cool addition, but they're just filler right now. The only good one was the first Sanghelios one, and even then it's still just filler. I haven't really come up with a way to make it better though. Maybe options to choose from for the next mission like what weapons, vehicles, how many marines go to what place? Even then, I'd just have one or two. You got any ideas?
Ah yes I completely forgot about those. My opinion on them is the same as yours: they have the opportunity to be a cool addition, but they're just filler right now. The only good one was the first Sanghelios one, and even then it's still just filler. I haven't really come up with a way to make it better though. Maybe options to choose from for the next mission like what weapons, vehicles, how many marines go to what place? Even then, I'd just have one or two. You got any ideas?
Not sure I have any ideas. Maybe make the areas larger so there's more to explore?
what i would suggest is throw an occasional classic song when an epic moment happens.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2