Forums / Community / General Discussion

How to make Halo better.

OP Unit 50079

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Retuning Halo's Multiplayer

Ever since Reach, the community has split themselves because of the sprint debate. A lot of veterans want sprint removed, yet lots of the newer fans want it kept in. However, solving the problem to satisfy one side ends up distancing Halo away from the other, and we all know how important population is for the franchise. I propose a middle-ground solution, which should address the points made by both sides.

Overview:
What I propose, is to keep in Spartan Abilities, but make them limited, so the game can retain the "old Halo feel" while still keep fans who like the newer movement system. Sprint would be very limited, and other abilities would be tweaked to follow suite.

Sprint:
This is probably the touchiest part in the proposal. As we all know, Halo 5 has unlimited sprint, so I propose that sprint should be tweaked, so that it is limited. The sprint time and recharge rate would be different for Arena, BTB, and WZ. When recharging, once at least 30% of the sprint meter is refilled, the player can initiate sprint again. When shot, the player does not stop sprinting, and shields can recharge while sprinting (does not recharge for WZ while sprinting).

Arena:
Sprint time: 3 seconds
Recharge time : 1-2 seconds

BTB:
Sprint time: 6-8 seconds
Recharge time: 2-3 seconds

WZ:
Sprint time: Unlimited
Recharge time: -

Sprint is changed for each of these modes to fit the styles. Arena has a shorter sprint and recharge time, because of a smaller area, BTB with longer times to fit with a larger area, and WZ has unlimited sprint, due to the large size of the maps, distance between objectives, and to keep a casual feel to it. I also limited Arena's sprint and recharge times, because this (in theory) can bring a hybrid feel between old and new Halo. With this feature, it is not necessary to elongate maps, and remakes of older maps can still stay true to the original dimensions, and player movement does not change radically. BTB's settings brings a more casual feel, and it doesn't frustrate players with limited movement, while also containing the movement to make BTB maps flow more nicely, in terms of player movement. WZ's settings appeals to the more casual player base, and also fits with the dimensions of the maps.

I am not sure what to propose for the sprint settings for unranked (casual) arena, whether to keep it to the limited ranked arena settings, or make it the same as BTB or WZ's settings.

Spartan Charge:
This is perhaps most frustrating Spartan ability, but my proposal can keep it balanced, and it will not be overused. In Arena, SC would be available on the last moments of sprint, giving a small window to utilize it, to compensate for it's small window, SC would deal more damage (bring down 75% of health) than a standard melee, but not enough to kill the person. In BTB, it would work similar to Arena, but it will have a larger window to activate it, and it would still deal more damage than a standard melee, but less than it does in Arena. In WZ, it will work similar to how it does now, except if you are being shot, you cannot activate SC. SC will have a lesser range, and as many have noticed, one using SC will lock on to the target, much like bullet magnetism, and the victim cannot escape, this will be disabled.

Thruster:
I feel that this Spartan ability doesn't need much tweaking, all it needs is a small distance reduction per thrust, and a slightly longer time interval before being able to use it again.

Ground Pound:
GP works well in Halo 5 because of the way the maps are designed, but with GP, we do not see an extent of verticality in H5's maps that classic Halo has, GP doesn't work well with vertical maps such Construct, Damnation, or Prisoner. My proposal is after a certain height, the player using GP would receive damage. The marker for the ground pound turns more red, the higher you GP, showing that you would take more damage as you land, the higher you are, the more damage you take, until you die after a height limit. At the height where landing causes death, the GP marker turns crimson red, and a cue would notify the player that using GP at that height would mean death. The time to start ground pounding after activation of the ability, would be 1.5 seconds, and the max time to stay in the ready position is 5 seconds, so if the player does not want to go through with GP, they can cancel with a thruster boost.

2nd Ground Pound proposal:
Credits to Dead End 24 for this idea, it is simpler to remove GP's area of effect, and to make it so that it deals damage if it only directly hits another player.

Benefits:
-Can satisfy a lot of fans
-Mixes both old and new styles, to appease both sides
-Old style maps do not have to be radically changed
-Spartan Abilities are balanced to be supportive, not aggressive
-Allows for a more diverse range of environments to be played in

Disadvantages:
-Lot on one side could still reject the idea
-May not be tuned well with weapons balancing

The purpose of this proposal is to attempt to bring both sides to consensus. This can mix both old and new styles of Halo into a fresh and unique style that hopefully many can come to like. I know my proposal isn't perfect, but I hope that it shows the community that we can come to a compromise between both sides. If 343 looks at this thread, could adopt a similar idea for future Halo games. Like all of us fans, I only want to see this franchise thrive, and continue giving joy to the players. If there's anything you disagree with, please point it out, I'd like to get into a civil discussion, please don't blindly hate, state a reason and a justification.
Don't like any of your suggestions. The only problem with H5's mechanics are the knock back on spartan charge, which is slightly too high.
nTitanx wrote:
Don't like any of your suggestions. The only problem with H5's mechanics are the knock back on spartan charge, which is slightly too high.
Could you explain why you think so?
All they have to do is make it cancel out damage if i melee the thruster user back at the same time
They made sure to balance sprint in Halo 5. You do not Regen your shields if you run. But running is unlimited.
...its balanced
...Also your a Spartan 4...
For Halo 6 do a cracking good job on the campaign, you have our money 343, use it! Get rid of spartan charge, the rest are fine.
For Halo 6 do a cracking good job on the campaign, you have our money 343, use it! Get rid of spartan charge, the rest are fine.
Or maybe keep Spartan Charge exclusive to custom games so we can still have breakable doors in forge.
Revan XVIV wrote:
Or maybe keep Spartan Charge exclusive to custom games so we can still have breakable doors in forge.
Yeah, just take it out of multiplayer.
Revan XVIV wrote:
Agreed.
They made sure to balance sprint in Halo 5. You do not Regen your shields if you run. But running is unlimited.
...its balanced
...Also your a Spartan 4...
However, someone can stop for a few seconds to fully regenerate their shields, before sprinting again, and because of unlimited sprint, it warps the dimensions of the maps. Truth is an extremely elongated version of Midship, and doesn't play as close as the original did. With unlimited sprint and thruster, the TTK is faster than previous games, and the bullet magnetism in Halo 5 is huge, limiting the Spartan abilities would allow gunplay to feel more fleshed out, and interesting 1v1 engagements could occur, rather than just a 2-3 second skirmish.
If some of the vets still don't like the changes. Maybe we can add a REAL classic playlist to please them and in that case the sandbox is gonna need some tweaks to the weapon sandbox to ensure the playlist will flow perfectly.
A lot of this feels like simply going back to a shorter version of Halo Reach's Sprinting. You can use it whenever you want but it has a "meter" of availability, and you can't Sprint again until it recharges somewhat. In Reach it works for 5 seconds and then you can't use it again for 2 seconds.

But that doesn't really stop maps from being bigger to accommodate for Sprint, despite it being limited, because Sprint is still available.

Sprint is already a punishment for players by not having your shields recharge while in use and being shot outside of full Sprint takes you out of full Sprint. We should either increase of time it takes to reach full Sprint, or have players be able to be knocked out of full Sprint by dealing enough damage (like 75% of shields or something).

Spartan Charge is frustrating because there is no consistent way to counter it. When the melee button is pressed and the reticle is locked on, the Spartan homes in on the opponent as if the player themselves is receiving bullet magnetism. The only way to counter it is to move left or right before the player actually attacks in the first place. The way to fix it is to remove all magnetism from Spartan Charge and it goes in a straight line, and basically becomes a Sprinting Melee for all intents and purposes. If you want, increase the stun time for the attacker so the opponent can continue to fire during the process.
A lot of this feels like simply going back to a shorter version of Halo Reach's Sprinting. You can use it whenever you want but it has a "meter" of availability, and you can't Sprint again until it recharges somewhat. In Reach it works for 5 seconds and then you can't use it again for 2 seconds.

But that doesn't really stop maps from being bigger to accommodate for Sprint, despite it being limited, because Sprint is still available.

Sprint is already a punishment for players by not having your shields recharge while in use and being shot outside of full Sprint takes you out of full Sprint. We should either increase of time it takes to reach full Sprint, or have players be able to be knocked out of full Sprint by dealing enough damage (like 75% of shields or something).

Spartan Charge is frustrating because there is no consistent way to counter it. When the melee button is pressed and the reticle is locked on, the Spartan homes in on the opponent as if the player themselves is receiving bullet magnetism. The only way to counter it is to move left or right before the player actually attacks in the first place. The way to fix it is to remove all magnetism from Spartan Charge and it goes in a straight line, and basically becomes a Sprinting Melee for all intents and purposes. If you want, increase the stun time for the attacker so the opponent can continue to fire during the process.
I did state that the Spartan Charge magnetism should be disabled, and in Arena, it has a much smaller window to activate it.
I thought you were gonna say by building a wall halo would be better again. All jokes aside, why not just add a separate playlist that removes sprinting, spartan charge, thruster, and ADS? A classic playlist like mentioned a few comments up.
TheElio3 wrote:
I thought you were gonna say by building a wall halo would be better again. All jokes aside, why not just add a separate playlist that removes sprinting, spartan charge, thruster, and ADS? A classic playlist like mentioned a few comments up.
I want a playlist like that, however, the weapons sandbox is built around Halo 5's movement system, and not classic Halo's, so even without the abilities, the sandbox wouldn't play optimally with classic Halo style gameplay.
What I think they should do is quite simple. Keep H6 mechanics just as they are for H5 except get rid of Spartan charge in ranked play, you shouldn't get the get out of jail free card while sprinting in ranked play. Then simply make H3A as a stand alone game. Then you have a place for the classic fans of Halo and your current fans to play. It's that simple IMO.
Nice post OP, I can tell you put some time and thought into it. The big problem I see with a lot of your suggestions OP (any others) is that different game types or modes (campaign, multiplayer for example) play differently, and that's not good IMO. It makes things too confusing for the player. You don't want, Sprint for example (let's assume it's in the game) to work one way and campaign and then differently say in multiplayer. Or say playing ranked then going to soical. It should all play the same. Hence ONE of the reasons why Halo 3 is loved by so many because if you were playing 4-4 Slayer in Social it would be the same thing as 4-4 Slayer and ranked.

If you're going to have a certain playlist that play differently, say like SWAT for example, then that's fine because it's just one playlist not a whole mode of play.

To me 343I have the right approach with Halo 5 by making things the same across the board. I'd have no issues with getting ride of things like sprint, thrusters and so on, but if they are going to keep the same gameplay mechanics as Halo 5, then I'd say the only things that need to be done are:

1) Make Spartan Charge track less and take longer to activate.

2) Ground Pound needs to lose its AOE damage. Just make it so you have to actually hit the person to damage/kill them.

3) Lose the ADS style zoom animation when zooming and bring back the old style zoom animation with an updated look (Think Terminator or Iron Man when they zoom in on someone)

A other idea I had for Spartan charge was instead of the charge it would be more of a tackle. I know reach had something like a tackle animation but it was a little different if I recall. When you do it ( it's still activated the same way as Spartan charge remember) the tackle would go into a assassination style/type animation. Not sure yet how this would work tackling from the front (remember just an idea of mine, haven't worked it all out yet lol) but from the sides or back I think this would work really well instead of the one hit Spartan charge kill. This way it would give a chance for your teammates to kill the player doing the tackling before he or she pulls out there knife to say stab the enemy Spartan. This also adds in more team work play.

I'd also make it so you can assassinate someone that's in the process of assassinating someone else.
We don't need all that nonsense you're talking about (JK), we just need Full Armor Customization, and more vehicles/weapons from previous Halos!
I like thrusters, as it makes some interesting jumps on the map possible, and allows for skillful plays like ninjas, reversals etc. It also adds options to gunfights, that all players get. I think it adds depth to encounters.

Spartan charge and ground pound are just gimmicky. Spartan charge doest have very much skill potential, and is just a secondary melee attack. Ground pound is very situational, and doest fit into halos sandbox. It doesn't really affect vehicles, and how much do you really use it in matches? Its not gameplay element that innovates, and due to halos simple but deep gameplay, it could go without a fuss.
Revan XVIV wrote:
Revan XVIV wrote:
Agreed.
Agreed x4. I hate that they have no "classic" playlist in terms of mechanics in matchmaking, even halo 4 had one!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2