Forums / Community / General Discussion

If hired to work on Halo, what job would you want?

OP l Masko l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Graphic Designer and Animator. I have this strong passion with video game models and seeing them animated. Being a full time designer means I can shape models however I want (at least as long as it meets satisfaction, of course). Then on animation, the sweet and carefully constructed models are brought to life.

While I'm unfortunately unable to even practice, if I had the knowledge and experience, it'd definitely be that, even if it was just for 1 Halo game.
I'd love to work on cutscenes, either in a writing capacity or story boarding/ blocking. I love me some Halo cutscenes. It would also be fun to be part of the community team, with how passionate the fans are.
It would also be fun to be part of the community team, with how passionate the fans are.
Sure. I can never get enough of being told that sprint is the devil (s).
l Masko l wrote:
It would also be fun to be part of the community team, with how passionate the fans are.
Sure. I can never get enough of being told that sprint is the devil (s).
That's a very good point, I guess there is the angry fan part of it, too. Maybe just the cutscenes then, lol.
Whatever role has the least effort and most pay would be absolutely fantastic for me.
Whatever role has the least effort and most pay would be absolutely fantastic for me.
Depends on the context.
If you're a really really good at your job it doesn't take a huge amount of effort and most IT jobs pay really well.

Example, I work in BI. I'm really good at working with anything DB related, because of years of experience and studying in my personal time to get better. So in my new job most of the work I'm given doesn't take a lot of effort from me. Especially not mental effort. I love it and I always want to get better, but it's not a struggle like it used to be when I just a junior developer. And because, as I said, IT jobs pay really well that would mean I have your dream job, even though it's not at 343.

But why would you choose a career that is stagnant? Why not something where you can constantly improve and want to improve because you enjoy it?
Doesn't that make life exciting?
I'd either be a multiplayer tester or help with hard/software.
l Masko l wrote:
Depends on the context.
If you're a really really good at your job it doesn't take a huge amount of effort and most IT jobs pay really well.

Example, I work in BI. I'm really good at working with anything DB related, because of years of experience and studying in my personal time to get better. So in my new job most of the work I'm given doesn't take a lot of effort from me. Especially not mental effort. I love it and I always want to get better, but it's not a struggle like it used to be when I just a junior developer. And because, as I said, IT jobs pay really well that would mean I have your dream job, even though it's not at 343.

But why would you choose a career that is stagnant? Why not something where you can constantly improve and want to improve because you enjoy it?
It was mostly a joke, but your comment was strangely inspiring.
A more honest answer would be something on the Software Engineering and/or programming side, I don’t know what specifically though since I’m still new to the whole concepts and ideas of the industry.

Right now I’m studying Computer Science at university and I will be majoring in Software Engineering. But before we get to our majors, we have to do a whole heap of the basics on pretty much every topic, programming, networking, project management, you get the gist, but for the life of me I cannot figure out databases. MySQL just shoots through my head and none of it sticks. So I can assure you that that’s definitely a job that I would like to avoid. I love the idea of creating something useful, incredible or simply fun from scratch and programming is fantastic way of doing that. I made a stupid text game about eggs! But motivation in the challenge is sparse and infrequent, so thanks for your comment I guess.
I'd be all about that vehicle design within the sandbox. Making sure that vehicles were a primary pillar of Big Team Battle and that they fit in correctly within the structure of the game. Creating unique, dynamic, and engaging experiences for the drivers, gunners, passengers, and Spartans on foot.
l Masko l wrote:
Depends on the context.

It was mostly a joke, but your comment was strangely inspiring.
A more honest answer would be something on the Software Engineering and/or programming side, I don’t know what specifically though since I’m still new to the whole concepts and ideas of the industry.

Right now I’m studying Computer Science at university and I will be majoring in Software Engineering. But before we get to our majors, we have to do a whole heap of the basics on pretty much every topic, programming, networking, project management, you get the gist, but for the life of me I cannot figure out databases. MySQL just shoots through my head and none of it sticks. So I can assure you that that’s definitely a job that I would like to avoid. I love the idea of creating something useful, incredible or simply fun from scratch and programming is fantastic way of doing that. I made a stupid text game about eggs! But motivation in the challenge is sparse and infrequent, so thanks for your comment I guess.
You could go "engine programmer" but that's like super math and lots of (I'm guessing) C++ magic. Or "Internal tools" like all the apps they use for every day use. Or maybe the API's for the sites like "Halo tracker". Someone needs to build all the stuff that exposes the stats 343 is willing to share. Maybe even Halo Waypoint itself, which I'm guessing is MVC based. They might even switch it to .NET Core in the future if they haven't already.

As far as DB's go, I dunno. Since I first encountered the technology I always felt a draw and clarity with all the methods and ways to perfectly store data. There's a zen vibe I get in the process of setting up a DB that I always found appealing. But that's just me :)
Janitor
I suck at creative stuff and programming. And someone need to keep the workplace nice and clean. Noone can properly work if thers thrash everywhere.
A level designer (I practice 3D modeling and Autodesk Maya design in my off time) or MP analyst ( finding flaws in the system, potential glitches, things that could be improved upon, etcetera etcetera). I also love the Halo lore and have done Halo Cosplaying at GuardianCon in the past, but creative writing is not my strongsuit.
Probably Armor and Character concept artist / brainstormer. I ain’t the best artist, but I enjoy it
100%. This is actually what I hope to do as a career and what I am building my Digital Media major in college towards right now. Working on this type of thing at 343 is an actual pipe dream I have when it comes to where I want to be many years from now after working in the industry for a bit. Obviously like I said, its a pipe dream and I'll probably be in smaller places or not even video games for quite a bit before anything of such magnitude could even take place.
Probably Armor and Character concept artist / brainstormer. I ain’t the best artist, but I enjoy it
100%. This is actually what I hope to do as a career and what I am building my Digital Media major in college towards right now. Working on this type of thing at 343 is an actual pipe dream I have when it comes to where I want to be many years from now after working in the industry for a bit. Obviously like I said, its a pipe dream and I'll probably be in smaller places or not even video games for quite a bit before anything of such magnitude could even take place.
Hey can’t fault you on that, at least you know what you want to do and are doing the right things to get there. As you said, it won’t happen straight away, but if it is your life goal, you’ll strive for it no matter what. Good luck man
I'd go for character and weapon design.
I want to be the guy that bosses everyone around and tells them to do stuff.

I can see it now...

snickerdoodle, you haven’t reached your daily quota of betrayals yet. Chop chop!”
Supreme dictator. But really I want to do a bit of everything (especially story and gameplay management) but if I had to choose it would be to write halos story.
Game tester or concept art.
I'd like to be on the Community Team!
Haha Yeah, idk but I'd to be part on the community team, I enjoy support people in this kind of things, and you become involved in something bigger.
Gameplays, game support, announcements, events and more.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2