Improving the Waypoint Forum Experience

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
As we celebrate 15 years of Halo today it felt like a great time to roll out a few changes to the Waypoint forums as we continue to work on creating a platform for our community to engage in a positive and constructive way.

To that end the team has made a few adjustments to the forums that I want to bring to your attention:

1. Featured Topics - From now on these topics will be manually curated by the team to allow us to highlight on-topic and constructive topics and prevent 'snowballing' by members. We will monitor and evaluate forum threads to tag as "featured" as appropriate.

2. Polls - To allow for better conversation in topics we have once again made it so Polls are exclusive to the Polls Discussion Forum. The forum exists for a reason, now it's very clear and easy to conduct polls and have focused discussions.

3. Rules & Guidelines - And finally, to continue to build on a foundation for fostering positive and constructive engagement we've updated the forum rules to be both simpler and a bit stricter with regards to certain aspects. The goal here is to make it easier to understand what is and isn't acceptable behavior and also help our team and moderators have a more clear cut path towards responding when warranted. Ultimately I hope everyone is friendly, mature and constructive but this being the internet, we know that's not always the case. You can find the full updated new Rules & Guidelines HERE. (and pinned within each forum)

We will continue to engage with our fans here on Waypoint and as always I welcome your suggestions, ideas and feedback to help us continue to foster a great Halo community.
Great additions to the forums, there were a select few rules that I did not fully understand and this update has cleared them up for me. Thank you.

Also I saw the that the discussion of mods was removed, is that now allowed here on the forums?
I saw the new rules a couple minutes before the livestream started (BTW nice to see you Ske7chy). I agree with a good majority of the new points added, though I do have a couple questions, mostly concerning clarity on some of the points.
First, I noticed there was a rule that says that comparing games was not allowed, however comparing game features is. Could you possibly elaborate on that? I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a difference between talking about a game's features and a game in general.

Also, as it pertains to what is allowed for post/thread content, I noticed that threads/posts containing "memes and low-effort complaints" are not allowed. I understand the concern regarding low-effort complaints as most of the time they are not constructive and have no clear base argument (which we all know is important if we want you to respond in the first place). I don't exactly understand the point about memes, however. I am unaware if this is a new point or if it has been there before (I've seen memes posted around here a lot, so probably the former), but is there an explanation as to why it is on there? Just to clarify, I am not protesting the restriction of memes on Waypoint, I am merely asking why it's on there just so I can have a better understanding.

Welp, that's all I've got. Otherwise, good additions in order to make this site even better. Thanks, and enjoy the 15th, anniversary, Ske7ch!
I'd like to ask, could the Recruiting section be sorted in such a way that company/clan recruitment is separate from people just looking to gather friends for things like custom game lobbies and campaign partners?
Most buddy-finding or custom game threads tend to be quickly swept away by the masses of company recruitment threads that the Recruiting section sees each day.
Whether this is somehow solved or not, thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Nice job 5k37ch. Skesevench. Etcher-ske7cher...

And the forum/web team too.
I'm honestly glad to see that featured posts will now be hand picked by special important people. It will be interesting to see how these rules affect the future of the Halo Waypoint community. I'm hoping to see more of the beautiful changes come soon.
Spoiler:
Show
Is there any way we can ever see the Break Room coming back or is that bye bye for good? Just curious. It was nice to be able to talk to people who like Halo about things other than Halo and really get to know them and make friends with people who enjoy Halo as well.
when should we expect see these changes? or have they already been set in motion?
I would also be curious as to the "featured topics", and how they're chosen. Perhaps it's something that stckrboy might know, but are featured topics culled by the forum teams from the trending topics? Maybe today's just a weird day, but I've seen the same three featured topics all day into last night, which would hardly ever be the case for a trending topic. Totally on board with preventing the snowballing though, there have been some odd trending topics just because a small oligarchy are blowing them up.
I imagine that as last night was a pretty big night for 343, the forum team haven't had a chance to pick out any new topics to showcase so far. I'm sure we will see some changes over the next few days once the "Happy Birthday Halo" topics subside :)
Ske7ch, I hope yesterday's Twitch chat did not make your eyes bleed.

I am liking the changes so far. Question about the Featured topics: how many featured topics could exist at one time?
Why is the month in front of yesterday's posts? Shouldn't be 16/11/16

I always get confused.

Come to think of it,why is 9/11 September 11?
JohannDB wrote:

I always get confused.

American date structure puts the month in front of the day.
We're kinda odd. Then again, we're pretty stubborn about a lot of things.
Imperial measurement > metric system, according to the standard for teaching.
I'll drop it there because I don't wanna derail the thread by going off topic.
Jonnie wrote:
JohannDB wrote:

I always get confused.

American date structure puts the month in front of the day.
We're kinda odd. Then again, we're pretty stubborn about a lot of things.
Imperial measurement > metric system, according to the standard for teaching.
I'll drop it there because I don't wanna derail the thread by going off topic.
Ok thanks.
Quote:
I saw the new rules a couple minutes before the livestream started (BTW nice to see you Ske7chy). I agree with a good majority of the new points added, though I do have a couple questions, mostly concerning clarity on some of the points.
First, I noticed there was a rule that says that comparing games was not allowed, however comparing game features is. Could you possibly elaborate on that? I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a difference between talking about a game's features and a game in general.

Also, as it pertains to what is allowed for post/thread content, I noticed that threads/posts containing "memes and low-effort complaints" are not allowed. I understand the concern regarding low-effort complaints as most of the time they are not constructive and have no clear base argument (which we all know is important if we want you to respond in the first place). I don't exactly understand the point about memes, however. I am unaware if this is a new point or if it has been there before (I've seen memes posted around here a lot, so probably the former), but is there an explanation as to why it is on there? Just to clarify, I am not protesting the restriction of memes on Waypoint, I am merely asking why it's on there just so I can have a better understanding.

Welp, that's all I've got. Otherwise, good additions in order to make this site even better. Thanks, and enjoy the 15th, anniversary, Ske7ch!
Hi there - thanks for the questions, I'll try to elaborate a bit thanks to some insights from Uny (these forum rules/changes had been in the works before I joined the team).

With regard to comparisons the intent is mainly prevent just blanket "Halo vs. Destiny" or "Halo vs. Cod" style posts that don't really have any constructive contributions. On the other hand, if someone wants to provide constructive criticism and opinion based on features of other games as good/bad examples, that feels more focused and again, constructive. Essentially we want to avoid shallow threads like "Halo 5 sucks compared to XXX" that aren't well thought out and don't really bring anything to the table.

As for 'memes' this is intended to provide a little more latitude for the moderators and team to have the action to act on meme posts. It's mainly designed to give us room to act if we need to respond to low-effort memes and memes of base taste or controversy. In all likelihood I'd expect this to not really come into play.

In general we did provide rules that are more blanket statements as we'd like empower our moderators (and us) with the ability to keep the forums clean and uphold a positive experience without having to worry about a ton of specific finer details.

Hope that helps, thanks again for your comments!
I'm glad to see Waypoint getting updated. Or at least that is what I think is happening. The post didn't make 100% sense to me. But I'll just keep doing what I do and figure it out.
If people aren't allowed to say "I don't like that" and such without any constructive criticism then why are people still allowed to say "I like that" without any reasoning? Seems kinda unfair, and makes it so less people state their actually opinion, or post at all. Kinda invalidates free speech if I'm using it correctly.

Also, I can get banned if the majority of my comments are negative? So does that mean if most of my posts involve issues with Halo 5 and other games I'm basically going against forum rules?

Just wanted to clear a few things up so I know how to proceed. But either way, some of the rules seem to be going a little overboard, and with this new moderator thing, it feels like actual issues won't be discussed but rather some random dudes positive "Blah blah like blah blah this" post. Not trying to be offensive but I got some concerns with this.
Why are there no posts when you click on the 'community' 'games' or 'support' tabs from the forums?

If you changed this, this was a bad idea. We want to see lots of different popular topics from each category, not just see the first few.

The alternative is to find a topic through the endless list of topics, this is not user friendly.
Quote:
Also, I can get banned if the majority of my comments are negative? So does that mean if most of my posts involve issues with Halo 5 and other games I'm basically going against forum rules?
No, you can't get banned solely for being critical. If the main way you like to contribute on the forums is by discussing issues with the game, that's completely fine, as long as you do it in a constructive way. As always, this rule isn't going after the average user who notices and wonders what the community thinks about it. It goes after the pathological party pooper who feels the need to go to any thread, negative or positive, and post comments along the lines of "X is garbage", "yet another thing 343i ruined", and so on.

If you don't have trouble expressing yourself in a respectful and constructive way, you're not really ever going to run into the consequences of these rules. These rules are all, in a way, making effort to get you to express your criticism in a well thought out way that is also respectful towards the people whose decisions you are criticising.
The link for the new rules doesn't appear to be working, just to let you know.
The link for the new rules doesn't appear to be working, just to let you know.
Which link? They should all have been updated yesterday
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9