2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 18
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Okay

And if you're going to insult me, please know that I'm a girl.

kthnx.
Halo had a forum, it was on Bungie.net, unless all my time on there was a dream? <.<
TW0 B0NE wrote:
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I know I shouldn't quote this but still.
Halo has had an official forum for a very long time. I think the main reason why there is an official forum is because it's easier to collect feedback about future games in a single place instead of searching for the feedback in 10 to 20 different forums.
It's also highly likely that 343 Industries do have employed peoples working with collecting feedback from the forums which means the best way to get a suggestion out is to post it constructively on the forums so it's hard to misunderstand what you as a user think.

The sub forums that I will not name is more for the separate parts of the Halo community to communicate with each other.
stckrboy wrote:
Halo had a forum, it was on Bungie.net, unless all my time on there was a dream? <.<
I think it's highly likely that the dream is true. Dreaming is something very weird because it do very commonly explain something that is true.
Did I miss something? Why isn't halo waypoint on Xbox anymore? Or am I just blind?
make it so you achievement score or certon achievements give you something for waypoint
What about having a Random Thought thread? Sometimes I want to say stuff related to Halo, but it wouldn't really warrant its own thread and often times there isn't a current thread without bumping something old that relates to it.
Please please please just fix the formatting.

For long posts, sometimes it can take like 10 minutes just to make it cooperate.
And I'm not talking about giant gaps between paragraphs or anything like that, I just mean the absolutely basics of starting on a new line or randomly merging words together in the middle of the sentence after pressing submit...
Sometimes, there are so many messed up spots that I couldn't keep track and just have to brute-force it by adding double-spacing to the end of every line and sentence.

And just because moderating was already brought up, here's a few things I've noticed over the years that I think are not particularly productive & should be against policy:
(No, I don't remember every specific instance over the course of thousands of topics I've read, nor am I going to spend hours tracking them down. You can either accept the feedback or not, that's your choice.)
  • Delete or close threads without bothering to tell anyone why (and more specifically: how to avoid it in the future -- it's not constructive)
  • Tell people to use a master thread which isn't actually about the same thing (it's like they only skim the first 2 lines before jumping to conclusion)
  • Tell people to not make new/redundant threads about a topic when there's no master, but then also close all the older topics for being too old (newcomers aren't allowed to talk about something just because it's been talked about? You're not going to run out of space ._. )
  • Close a thread for being in the wrong section instead of just moving it -- we just end up with duplicate threads!
  • Tell people to use another thread, but not link it (either finish the job or don't start it. Only half is more damaging than simply not moderating in the first place)
  • Say something is against the rules but don't specify which one & don't link to the rules (yes people should find it on their own, but the REALITY that the rest of us have to live with is that people don't, and you simply create "repeat offenders" by skipping this)
  • Quote a rule that doesn't actually have any relevance (not sure if "stretching" or just misreading or quoting the wrong person?)
  • Further to the previous: enforce it for one person but not another person who does the exact same thing (selective enforcement?)
  • Being condescending in general. Just because someone is in the wrong doesn't mean the moderators should lower themselves to the same level
  • "Hide/spoiler" but not delete "minor doxxing" -- no personal information should ever be tolerated in any form, no matter if that information is publicly available elsewhere, "basically obvious" or "only a link" to external sources
Mainly, it seems to come down to a central theme of carelessness & a tendency to err on the side of over-moderation rather than under-moderation, which doesn't actually accomplish anything other than create inconsistency, confusion & frustration.
The default should be that if you're not sure or not willing to do the full job, either leave it or ask someone else.
Generally we would ask that issues with forum moderation be sent to the team via PM, but I can answer some of your queries here
Delete or close threads without bothering to tell anyone why (and more specifically: how to avoid it in the future -- it's not constructive)
We don't delete threads and threads are more often than not closed with a reason why, unless someone else has left a reason in the thread already
Tell people to not make new/redundant threads about a topic when there's no master, but then also close all the older topics for being too old (newcomers aren't allowed to talk about something just because it's been talked about? You're not going to run out of space ._. )
Not every thread needs a megathread, so if we close duplicate it's because there is already a recently active thread that is still open and still visible. We're not going to run out of space, don't worry about that.
Close a thread for being in the wrong section instead of just moving it -- we just end up with duplicate threads!
Sometimes it's redundant to move a thread if there is already one in the correct forum already.
Tell people to use another thread, but not link it (either finish the job or don't start it. Only half is more damaging than simply not moderating in the first place)
I'm going to steal a quote from Comedic Hermit in this one as things aren't always black and white
Quote:
We don't always have links to the appropriate threads easily available to us, nor is this the only thing we have going on. We have actual lives, jobs, and our own interests in addition to our duty to the forum. While I generally try to provide a link to the appropriate thread, it simply isn't feasible all the time. You are also the person who wants to provide feedback, post about your ideas, or the like so it would be your responsibiliy to post in the appropriate place. Redirect posts always tell you where to go even if we don't link it specifically, you can expend some effort yourself.
Say something is against the rules but don't specify which one & don't link to the rules (yes people should find it on their own, but the REALITY that the rest of us have to live with is that people don't, and you simply create "repeat offenders" by skipping this)
We'll generally state in the topic or via PM if one needs to be sent, but for the most part yes you should be aware of the rules and you should have no trouble finding them. They are posted at the top of every forum
Further to the previous: enforce it for one person but not another person who does the exact same thing (selective enforcement?)
If this happens it's because the other posts have either not been seen by us or not been reported so they can be looked into. Please report them if you see them
"Hide/spoiler" but not delete "minor doxxing" -- no personal information should ever be tolerated in any form, no matter if that information is publicly available elsewhere, "basically obvious" or "only a link" to external sources
We already do this. If for any reason that information hasn't been redacted fully. please report the post so it can be looked at.
Please please please just fix the formatting.

For long posts, sometimes it can take like 10 minutes just to make it cooperate.
And I'm not talking about giant gaps between paragraphs or anything like that, I just mean the absolutely basics of starting on a new line or randomly merging words together in the middle of the sentence after pressing submit...
Sometimes, there are so many messed up spots that I couldn't keep track and just have to brute-force it by adding double-spacing to the end of every line and sentence.
This is probably one of the most annoying things here. I've never been on a forum where the spacing goes to single space when you edit a post and you have to manually space everything again.

I don't even bother trying to multi-quote people the traditional way.

Then you have the bug which still isn't fixed even though I brought it up several months ago where if you quote someone and have multiple links, the spacing gets messed up. The only way to fix it is to remove the quoted person's name.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Sounds like some good rules.
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, but why isn't there an ignore feature? Unless there is one and I never found it. The only thing I've found was being able to block inbox messages from people.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, but why isn't there an ignore feature? Unless there is one and I never found it. The only thing I've found was being able to block inbox messages from people.
There used to be on the old forums, but it hasn't transitioned over here. In theory it sounds like a good feature, but you know you're just going to be tempted to click on that spoiler and see what was said anyways so for the most part it ends up becoming redundant.

If you have a small amount of coding knowledge you could probably write a userscript for Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey (I use these myself for a few things on Waypoint) to automatically censor posts from certain users
stckrboy wrote:
There used to be on the old forums, but it hasn't transitioned over here. In theory it sounds like a good feature, but you know you're just going to be tempted to click on that spoiler and see what was said anyways so for the most part it ends up becoming redundant.

If you have a small amount of coding knowledge you could probably write a userscript for Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey (I use these myself for a few things on Waypoint) to automatically censor posts from certain users
Okay, thanks.

Another question is do you know where that sticky thread which listed all the forum ranks is at? I can't seem to find it and I wanted to see when I would get new avatars for my rank. If the new avatars aren't at the top of the list when you get them already, then that could be an improvement idea because nothing is listed so you wouldn't know which ones are new or not.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 18