2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 15
In regard to those who make alternative accounts, why are they not discharged. I have never seen any member which has been discharged. If they are banned surely they have no purpose here on waypoint, and were only created as a work around, so once banned are dead accounts.
I don't know why there is no clear way to see who is banned on the forums or not. I think a perma banned used should be detected much more easily on the forums. There is nothing that says if user A is forum banned or not when you search on the forums. Maybe there forum rank should change to red letters written as "BANNED" and the image should change. There forum signature should also be changed in my opinion so you can see if the user has a temporary or permanent ban with red letters instead of nothing.
Look at the very last rank you can get. If people are permanently banned, why aren't they given this rank.
It may have been changed. A permanent is ban is currently a ban to a certain date in 2552. It's a bit tricky to find some perma banned (in theory long temporary ban) users as a good example of official ban duration.
If it's not used anymore the rank page needs to be updated then, something I mention further back in this thread.
I do agree that outdated information is a bit annoying. All these threads that you get linked for getting information should actively be updated but that isn't the case.

This is the official profile ban duration for a perma banned user.
Quote:
USER HAS BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL 10/29/2552 5:00 PM PST DUE TO CREATING SPAM, OFF-TOPIC, OR DUPLICATE POSTS
Quote:
USER HAS BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL 10/29/2552 5:00 PM PST DUE TO CREATING MULTIPLE OR ALTERNATE ACCOUNTS
A forum ban in approximately 500 years to the time when the Halo story do take place. This is the message for 2 different users for reference so you can see the official ban duration is the same.
A user profile that is perma banned has no clear way that you can see if he is prema banned or not without reading behind the lines in the text that says why the ban was given and how long it will stay on that account.
In regard to those who make alternative accounts, why are they not discharged. I have never seen any member which has been discharged. If they are banned surely they have no purpose here on waypoint, and were only created as a work around, so once banned are dead accounts.
I don't know why there is no clear way to see who is banned on the forums or not. I think a perma banned used should be detected much more easily on the forums. There is nothing that says if user A is forum banned or not when you search on the forums. Maybe there forum rank should change to red letters written as "BANNED" and the image should change. There forum signature should also be changed in my opinion so you can see if the user has a temporary or permanent ban with red letters instead of nothing.
Look at the very last rank you can get. If people are permanently banned, why aren't they given this rank.
It may have been changed. A permanent is ban is currently a ban to a certain date in 2552. It's a bit tricky to find some perma banned (in theory long temporary ban) users as a good example of official ban duration.
If it's not used anymore the rank page needs to be updated then, something I mention further back in this thread.
I do agree that outdated information is a bit annoying. All these threads that you get linked for getting information should actively be updated but that isn't the case.

Quote:
USER HAS BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL 10/29/2552 5:00 PM PST DUE TO CREATING SPAM, OFF-TOPIC, OR DUPLICATE POSTS
Quote:
USER HAS BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL 10/29/2552 5:00 PM PST DUE TO CREATING MULTIPLE OR ALTERNATE ACCOUNTS
A forum ban in approximately 500 years to the time when the Halo story do take place. This is the message for 2 different users for reference so you can see the official ban duration is the same.
A user profile that is perma banned has no clear way that you can see if he is prema banned or not without reading behind the lines in the text that says why the ban was given and how long it will stay on that account.
Banning someone for that length of time is effectively a discharge, lol, unless these forums stick around for the next 500 years and if the person who received the ban stays alive for 500 years. If people were discharged, it would help other users, who wouldn't know unless they would click on their profile.

Quote:
Quote:
Banning someone for that length of time is effectively a discharge, lol, unless these forums stick around for the next 500 years and if the person who received the ban stays alive for 500 years. If people were discharged, it would help other users, who wouldn't know unless they would click on their profile.
I know, it's was pure luck that I found the person I took the information from about perma ban. He made a post which revealed that he had once broken one of the most important forum rules.
However, you cannot see in a discussion that he/she is banned. We have to see if 343 Industries or Microsoft will listen because sometimes when you quote someone, you would like to get an answer. Of course, none of use want to check every user so they aren't forum banned before we ask them a question.
mastergamer015 and CuriousGalaxy91:
We opt for "banned until 2552" as the method of permanent banning someone as opposed to discharging because only 343i can change forum ranks. As Monitors do the bulk of moderation on Waypoint, we work with what we have. There are too many accounts to deal with to be waiting for 343i to change every permanently banned user's forum rank to "discharged". Therefore, we opt to just apply ridiculously long temp bans that far exceed the lifespan of the user. If someone miraculously survives to the point where the ban expires (and if Waypoint is even still around), I'd say they deserve the opportunity to post again.

As for adding some sort of more public indication that someone is banned, that probably won't happen. We don't want people discussing moderation, whether it be their own or someone else's. Besides, only you have the ability to edit your forum signature (if you've unlocked that feature). Having some sort of automated indicator for someone's ban in every one of there posts would require some coding on 343i's part, and I don't think that's on the webteam's list of priorities. 343i are also the only ones who can update the forum rank page, so while that info is outdated, there isn't really anything that can be done about it on our end. If you really want a response from someone who ended up being permabanned, just strike up a PM correspondence with them.
Chimera30 wrote:
mastergamer015 and CuriousGalaxy91:
We opt for "banned until 2552" as the method of permanent banning someone as opposed to discharging because only 343i can change forum ranks. As Monitors do the bulk of moderation on Waypoint, we work with what we have. There are too many accounts to deal with to be waiting for 343i to change every permanently banned user's forum rank to "discharged". Therefore, we opt to just apply ridiculously long temp bans that far exceed the lifespan of the user. If someone miraculously survives to the point where the ban expires (and if Waypoint is even still around), I'd say they deserve the opportunity to post again.

As for adding some sort of more public indication that someone is banned, that probably won't happen. We don't want people discussing moderation, whether it be their own or someone else's. Besides, only you have the ability to edit your forum signature (if you've unlocked that feature). Having some sort of automated indicator for someone's ban in every one of there posts would require some coding on 343i's part, and I don't think that's on the webteam's list of priorities. 343i are also the only ones who can update the forum rank page, so while that info is outdated, there isn't really anything that can be done about it on our end. If you really want a response from someone who ended up being permabanned, just strike up a PM correspondence with them.
Huh I didn't know only 343 could change ranks. I would have thought mods would be granted discharging abilities.

It would be pretty funny if someone survived the next 500 years.
Believe it or not there's a lot about moderators and admins that you don't know. If you were supposed to know, we'd tell you but you don't need to have a breakdown of how the site operates behind the scenes.
Another idea of mine is to have videos of waypoint in the form of repeatable GIPs which would serve as a support mechanism. Similar to that on the microsoft support section.

There could be an introduction video, showing users how to use waypoint, where to post, how to change up their spartan, look at their stats. By watching the videos and GIPs hopefully people will not come across as many problems and it will alleviate needs for moderation, if people know what to do.
Another idea of mine is to have videos of waypoint in the form of repeatable GIPs which would serve as a support mechanism. Similar to that on the microsoft support section.

There could be an introduction video, showing users how to use waypoint, where to post, how to change up their spartan, look at their stats. By watching the videos and GIPs hopefully people will not come across as many problems and it will alleviate needs for moderation, if people know what to do.
I'm a bit confused by your post. Perhaps you could answer some questions to improve my understanding of the idea?
  1. What is a GIP? That isn't an acronym I'm familiar with or a type of video file I'm aware of.
  2. Why do you think posting video instructions will eliminate the need for moderation?
  3. Why do you think it's likely that people would watch videos offering instructions on the forum rules when they don't read the rules as it stands?
  4. A lot of the violations of forum rules and the misconduct associated with is intentional or so ludicrously obvious that it shouldn't be done that it might as well be intentional? So I'm not sure how this would help with that?

I'm a bit confused by your post.
  1. What is a GIP? That isn't an acronym I'm familiar with or a type of video file I'm aware of.
  2. Why do you think posting video instructions will eliminate the need for moderation?
  3. Why do you think it's likely that people would watch videos offering instructions on the forum rules when they don't read the rules as it stands?
  4. A lot of the violations of forum rules and the misconduct associated with is intentional or so ludicrously obvious that it shouldn't be done that it might as well be intentional? So I'm not sure how this would help with that?
  • Oh I meany GIF, I missed spelt it.
  • With the moderation I mean if people learn visually about what not to do through short videos, then I don't think you would get as much spam due to them understanding the rules a bit clearer.
  • I think people would sit and a watch a video over reading anything. That's why movies are more popular than books with younger audiences.

I'm a bit confused by your post.
  • With the moderation I mean if people learn visually about what not to do through short videos, then I don't think you would get as much spam due to them understanding the rules a bit clearer.
  • I think people would sit and a watch a video over reading anything. That's why movies are more popular than books with younger audiences.
So like. How exactly do you make a video for "Don't spam!" or "Don't post in old topics!" so that it makes sense?

That's a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot of resources that are better utilized elsewhere, IMO.

Oh and if the rules become videos, I'm out. I hate watching videos. :P
  1. GIFS tend to be extremely short and wouldn't contain the information you seem to want it to.
  2. People have a basic responsibility to learn about the rules of communities or groups that they belong to. You don't really need a video to tell you that you shouldn't commit murder, theft, or fraud. The same thing is true here. All communities have rules and norms that people should learn to follow.
  3. With some exceptions people know they aren't supposed to spam, bypass the word filter, flame, or the like. In some cases it isn't that people don't know they shouldn't do it, it's that they don't care about the rule in the first place. Everyone knows you shouldn't murder someone and yet there are prisons all over the world and often burgeoning on overpopulation. While ignorance of a rule is sometimes the reason people break forum rules, it's still their responsibility to understand those rules. You don't get to see a lot of the behind the scenes stuff so I understand that you wouldn't perceive it that way. It's hard to have a clear picture without all the information.
  4. I'm curious about how you would keep the project up to date? Rules and forum sections can change at the discretion of 343. Right now that just means updating a page and some links, if they had to record several more videos every time something needed tweaked that would be a lot of work to keep and maintain. It would also mean that any change would have to be planned very far in advance in order to write a script, check it through, film it etc. It also wouldn't cover something completely unexpected or novel that comes along (and that does happen with some frequency.)
  5. I'm also not sure what these explanation videos could be aside from just reading the rules.
  6. I'm not sure people would be willing to watch videos which would have to be a bit long in order to demonstrate things or cover a fraction of the situations we might see. Reading a single page would seem to take less effort than that. (There are also quite a lot of people who still enjoy reading myself included. I tend to prefer paper, but I rarely go anywhere without seeing a kindle or another type of e-reader.)
I'm not opposed to something that would make my role on this site a bit easier or something that would make the site more inviting or easier to understand for new people. I'm just a bit curious about how this idea could work.

Edit; apparently Snickerdoodle responded as I was typing.
1) Put the community updates in the 'Halo Community Update' section. Isn't that the point of having it? The last two have just been in the 'All News' section.

2) Try to make more announcements or updates on the Waypoint site. A lot of times I'll just see updates or news stuff on 343 members personal twitter accounts which usually means I'll only find out about stuff when someone links it if there is a thread relevant to that topic.
this isn't exactly forum related, but I think it would be awesome if you didn't have to use waypoint to join a spartan company.
  • With regard to the polls. At the end of the year could we get some kind of statistic on some good polls in the form of graphs. To help visualise what the community thinks. This has been done on other sites such as True Achievements with the amount of achievements people have earn't. I think it would be rather interesting. At the moment we have to physically go into each individual poll to see what the result is. Which is time consuming.
  • Also the OP has to vote on their own poll just to see the answers. I think this skews the results, especially if the OP gives away their opinion, as it tends to put people in to the situation of voting for the view of the questioner.
Making Badges easier to recieve would be a nice and wonderful improvement.
Making Badges easier to recieve would be a nice and wonderful improvement.
Badges are more like a reward for massively helping the community or for being part in specific events.
Can we get an icon symbol next to a thread that lets us know if we replied in it?

For example, there will be older threads that are allowed due to the topic and sometimes I'll go to reply or think about replying only to find out shortly when I scroll through the entire thread that I already replied to it, but forgot that I did. If there was a symbol that let me know I already responded, it would prevent me from wasting time scrolling through the entire thread to see if I already made a post in it, or I would know I already made a post so it would motivate me to see what I said and maybe update it. Thanks.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Can we get an icon symbol next to a thread that lets us know if we replied in it?

For example, there will be older threads that are allowed due to the topic and sometimes I'll go to reply or think about replying only to find out shortly when I scroll through the entire thread that I already replied to it, but forgot that I did. If there was a symbol that let me know I already responded, it would prevent me from wasting time scrolling through the entire thread to see if I already made a post in it, or I would know I already made a post so it would motivate me to see what I said and maybe update it. Thanks.
I have also suggested a feature that let us know if we have read that topic before. It would also be very handy if there was an option when we click on a thread to get to the page with the most recent replies if you already has read the thread.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 15