Forums / Community / General Discussion

In game player tags

OP J kid789

You know how almost every Halo have has those service tags when playing multiplayer, do that you can see and identify your teammates? You know the ones that are 3-4 characters long, but really fun to customize?

WHY DOES IT ALWAYS CHANGE?

• Halo 3 had 1 letter, 2 numbers
  • ODST, Reach, and 4 all had a combination of 4 letters or numbers (which I think is the best one)
  • MCC has any combination of 3 characters
  • Halo 5 has a mandatory 4 character combination
So why does it always change between games? And which version do you prefer?
I prefer four characters so I can be Nate
I like it when I can be double F4D2's. Heres to hoping they put the Reach style one in Infinite! :)
I think the changes you're referring to reflect a shift toward more customization between Halo 3 and ODST/Reach and the change in management between Bungie and 343i.
I prefer four characters so I can be Nate
Have you considered “N8EE” so your teammates can say, “Aye aye, N8EE”?
Geoffyz wrote:
I think the changes you're referring to reflect a shift toward more customization between Halo 3 and ODST/Reach and the change in management between Bungie and 343i.
Maybe so, but why make it a mandatory 4 character tag in Halo 5? Why can't mine be 2 or 3?
J kid789 wrote:
Geoffyz wrote:
Maybe so, but why make it a mandatory 4 character tag in Halo 5? Why can't mine be 2 or 3?
Unfortunately, these are questions I cannot answer, and honestly, its a detail so esoteric that the devs probably won't provide an explanation. My only guess has to do with the campaign characters. Buck is four letters, Vale is four letters, Locke and Tanaka are close enough. They might have limited it using these characters, but I have no idea.
DGgeoff from RoosterTeeth had BONR as his... I really don't know how he got it without the filter catching him.
4 letters/numbers is fine with me.
If I can put ORCA, I'll put ORCA
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Having the option to customize your tag however you want is for the best. If we get 4 or even 5 spaces for characters and numbers as well as having the option to use 1 to 5 characters or numbers for the tag, then it will open more options. Although, you might have then people running around with just a single letter or number for their tag, so there might be a restriction on that.

In the end, 343 should let people customize their tags and spartans or elites however they want, within reason of course.
Reach was the best one I was always playing around with my service tag in that game.
tuhin94 wrote:
🤔🤔🤔 Is this a reference to something? I don't get it
tuhin94 wrote:
🤔🤔🤔 Is this a reference to something? I don't get it
Just a bad pirate pun 😅
tuhin94 wrote:
Just a bad pirate pun 😅
Oh yeah, I get it now! I'll make sure to put on Buccaneer armor if I make that my service tag.
4 works fine for me: Dogg
I prefer Reaches since it allowed for the most customisation of the service tag.
I'm not bothered at all by the differences; I'll rock "H4X" or "H4XX" all the time regardless.