Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Internet Speed..

OP XWreaperX

First, Id like to apologize as this may be considered a dumb question... But I just did this Internet Speed test... I have no idea what is considered good or bad as far as that goes.. But anyways.. I got a download speed of 58.8 mbps.. An upload speed of 24.8 Mbps and a ping of 12 ms... How do I stack up?.. Am I good to go for MCC multiplayer?.. What is ping anyways? Thanks
XWreaperX wrote:
First, Id like to apologize as this may be considered a dumb question... But I just did this Internet Speed test... I have no idea what is considered good or bad as far as that goes.. But anyways.. I got a download speed of 58.8 mbps.. An upload speed of 24.8 Mbps and a ping of 12 ms... How do I stack up?.. Am I good to go for MCC multiplayer?.. What is ping anyways? Thanks
That is extremely great, the lower the ping the better the multiplayer should be, you are good to go. For comparison, I get 5.4 Mb down and .5 Mb up with a 35 MS ping and I can play on my Xbox One just fine.
You're in excellent shape! Ping is the time it takes for your computer to send information to the server your testing to and back to you. I don't know what the average is but, 5mbps would run the game fine. I had the same as you but recently moved. Now i have around 28mbps which is still fine.
You have an above average connection. About 3 years ago, you'd be considered in the upper 15% of connection speeds. However, Comcast has recently started offering speeds of around 150Mbps+ to most areas, so there's that. I myself am currently at 165Mbps download, 38Mbps upload, ~10 ping. Your Ping is absolutely crucial as that determines the time it takes for data to be transmitted and come back. Packet loss is also a factor.
I was told by comcast that I had the 100mbps package.. Obviously Im not reaching those numbers.. Could It be my router or maybe cables? Even the modem? Im using about a 10 year old Ethernet cable...
XWreaperX wrote:
I was told by comcast that I had the 100mbps package.. Obviously Im not reaching those numbers.. Could It be my router or maybe cables? Even the modem? Im using about a 10 year old Ethernet cable...
Depends......do you have other devices running on your network? If you don't have any you're aware of....there could be a possibility that our router's wireless capabilities are unsecured (no password to connect to it). This means that ANYBODY could use your network if it's wide open and THAT can certainly slow your connection down. Bad cables actually could be a culprit too (If you read what I wrote before removing it....ignore it! lol). Or the router may not be capable itself of high speeds.....especially if it's an old, old router. If that router is really old.....it may be starting to go.

Also....since you're most likely running cable internet (not DSL)....cable internet is shared with everyone else on you street, unlike DSL where the connection is yours and yours only. Depending on how much that bandwidth is being used by others on your street......that can have an impact on your speeds, especially at peak usage times of the day.
It could be a number of things that is slowing your connection. While Comcast may offer a "Maximum" of that speed, your area may not support those speeds yet. However, your router, modem and ethernet cables play a HUGE role. First off, make sure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. The most common modem, the "Motorola Surfboard" is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, and only supports download speeds of around 50Mbps. Next, make sure that your router offers Gigabit ethernet ports, and fast wireless speeds (at least advertises 300Mbps, though you wont actually get this). Next, I would update your ethernet cables to CAT6 cables. That is your cheapest option here, but your biggest difference will come from updating your modem.

If you rent your modem or router from Comcast, they usually put in their new combo modem/wireless router box which is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible. If you rent from Comcast and do not have this, bring your equipment into a local office and get updated stuff. They'll give it to you for free.

Honestly, your speeds are fine, but faster speeds never hurts!
My connection is 30 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up, with a ping of 32. It's the cheapest broadband in the area, otherwise I have to sign up for AT&T U-Verse which has horrible speeds. It took me about 4 hours to download the MCC. So I'm guessing it'll take about 2 hours for the update. I can't wait for fiber optic to spread out to this area though. I'll be able to upload gameplay videos a hell of a lot quicker than I can now.

EDIT: Just did another speed test, on my computer and on my Xbox One. These were the results:

Computer speed test was: 29-30 Mbps down, 4 up, 12-32 ping.
Xbox One speed test was: 30.33 Mbps down, 4 up, 79 ping, with a wireless strength of 82%
I should also note to people, who don't know (like I didn't for a long time): There is a difference in Megabits and Megabytes. ISP's tend to measure their connections in Megabits. So my download speed, when it comes to measuring data, is 3.75 Megabytes per second. 30 Megabits = 3.75 Megabytes.

If anyone is curious about their megabyte speed, you can check it out here.
My ping is 157ms in UK. Dont think there are any UK srevers :(.
Mine is 54.12Mbps download. 3.77Mbps upload. Ping: 233ms.

I take it those are mega bits and not bytes. Is this still good?

If I worked it out correctly the 20GB update should download in about an hours times. I know with a lot of people being on it may take longer but I'm juts going by what my internet is like at the moment.
Better than mine, I hate living in Australia when it comes to internet. Paying $90/month for 15mb down 0.8 up 45 Ping.
XWreaperX wrote:

That is extremely great, the lower the ping the better the multiplayer should be, you are good to go. For comparison, I get 5.4 Mb down and .5 Mb up with a 35 MS ping and I can play on my Xbox One just fine.
direct connect ? or wifi, just asking so i knoe what to do with mine
I changed ISP just so i could get better speed, from 8mb download to about 96 - hoping the ping will be nice and low as well.
I have pretty good internet. I think it's like 50 down and 10 up or something along those lines. All I know is I cna download a 8GB update for a xbox one game in less than 30 mins I think I will be alright with a 20gb patch.
Yeah I have AT&T U-Verse and the speed sucks so much. I'm getting 34ms for ping, averaging about 9 Mbps for download. I live in Apex, NC as well so there is really no faster internet service provider. I tried seeing if Comcast was available in my area but it wasnt. :/
When it comes to actual gaming, ping and latency is more important than speed, games use very little bandwidth. Speed is of course important for downloading the game and with updates and such, but once you're actually in game then it's really not a priority.
When it comes to actual gaming, ping and latency is more important than speed, games use very little bandwidth. Speed is of course important for downloading the game and with updates and such, but once you're actually in game then it's really not a priority.
You have above the average internet speed. And that means it’s good. If you don’t know anything about how the speed test tool works you can read everything about this here allspeedtest And ping is the time that your computer takes to send information to your server and then again back to you. At this speed of the internet, you can easily play online games without lag. I had the same speed of the internet but now as we moved to another area, I’m getting slower than this.
RanaDesign wrote:
You have above the average internet speed. And that means it’s good. If you don’t know anything about how the speed test tool works you can read everything about this here allspeedtest And ping is the time that your computer takes to send information to your server and then again back to you. At this speed of the internet, you can easily play online games without lag. I had the same speed of the internet but now as we moved to another area, I’m getting slower than this.
Please don't revive old topics thanks

Let's leave 2014 to 2014