Forums / Community / General Discussion

Is Halo becoming more like Call of Duty?

OP HamCon55

I feel that since Halo 4, the series has become more like Call of Duty with each new release, it also didn't help when Halo 5 control layout became what the majority of FPS use, they added iron sights, and the levels seem smaller than what Halo 1 to Reach had.

I am just glad that the vehicles still handle the same, and go to a third person perspective when you enter the driver or turret seat, but I am having my worries about it still being there when Halo 6 comes out.

And before anybody says anything, I am sure that 343 got the idea of reviving teammates from Gears of War, a change which I don't mind since it made sense since there was a team instead of just one guy.
I never played CoD so I have no idea how it's like.
Ehh, it could go both ways really.
Halo and CoD (and a lot of other fps) are becoming more similar as the years go on.

Nothing like that Halo2 though!
Halo becomes more than CoD you know? CoD actually is like a new genre of crap and Halo is now on the CoD-status
They are going on same way.
HamCon55 wrote:
I feel that since Halo 4, the series has become more like Call of Duty with each new release, it also didn't help when Halo 5 control layout became what the majority of FPS use, they added iron sights, and the levels seem smaller than what Halo 1 to Reach had.

I am just glad that the vehicles still handle the same, and go to a third person perspective when you enter the driver or turret seat, but I am having my worries about it still being there when Halo 6 comes out.

And before anybody says anything, I am sure that 343 got the idea of reviving teammates from Gears of War, a change which I don't mind since it made sense since there was a team instead of just one guy.
I would argue it's far less than Halo 4. No load outs, no perks etc. These comparisons are a little tiresome though. You can change the control scheme. I put the zoom back on the thumbstick. You should also realize that there wasn't a whole lot separating CE from other shooters at the time. It was and still is essentially an arena shooter, with a legacy dating back through quake to doom's deathmatch.
The whole "Halo feels like Call of Duty" thing is kinda old. Everyone in the gaming industry takes ideas and makes them their own, whether or not someone has already done it or not.
Halo is a FPS game just like every other FPS games.
I just think it's following the path of every other modern shooter. Trying to appeal to the masses and cash in on sales by creating a "clone" of other shooters.
Halo may be slowly turning into a different entity from how it used to be back-in-the-days, but I wouldn't say it's turning into CoD. I wouldn't say it's turning into any other game actually. It's simply changing and evolving.
When you say levels do you mean Campaign levels or Multiplayer maps?
I don't think so, I play both CoD and Halo, they both play very differently. Even the art styles are very different. The only thing I see that's very similar between the 2 is that you can change what guns you spawn with, even then these aspects are very different from each other in the 2 games.
Well, with CoD becoming more like halo... I guess halo is becoming more like CoD.
JOLTLORD wrote:
I mean campaign.
HamCon55 wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:
I mean campaign.
well Halo 3 had the shortest campaign.
Halo may be slowly turning into a different entity from how it used to be back-in-the-days, but I wouldn't say it's turning into CoD. I wouldn't say it's turning into any other game actually. It's simply changing and evolving.
I would say that the MPP has definitely become more like COD. Look at the Multiplayer. That isn't HALO. I like COD when I want to play COD. But not when I want to get 3 guys together in a Warthog to go steal a flag. Now it is all twitch shooting and that is source of MP gratification. Such satisfaction used to be found in some hilarious moments where a game changed unbelievably at the final moments. Some raucous event happened somewhere on the map that just evolved out of a crazy situation. Go back and look at HALO 2 videos of MP. Those moments are gone and do not exist in HALO 5. It isn't nostalgia. Look at newer vids of HALO 2 MP from the MC collection. That thing that HALO 2 had? It is still there because it was embedded in the design. I guess so many players these days consider that too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWFrLL8JVhw
I would have to say no, most may say yes because halo has updated to have some features that are in every single other game like sprint. But really it's plays nothing like it and has much more to provide. I use to play cod but grew tired of it halo in the only military shooter I'll play because of this. I love the direction halo is moving in aswell
Nowadays almost every FPS is very similar. Halo is not different, just an FPS like any other nothing special anymore.