Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Is halo inspired by Ancient Greek

OP SilentGhost5294

Halo and Ancient Greek are connected because they have similar conflicts like the UNSC is basically
Ancient Greece and the Persian empire are the covenant it seems like history keeps on repeating itself not in real life but in the halo universe so what’s next will the UNSC be the Roman Empire because they have the mantle of responsibility and the banished will be the barbarians because they believe that humans should not have the mantle
There is a common theme in many sci-fi stories that the nature and dynamics of conflict seldom change and that technology just makes the scale larger. I personally tend to think such ideas are a bit of an oversimplification but the "War never changes" mantra is pretty popular in video games and film alike.

I know that the Spartan program is indeed a direct reference to actual Spartan warriors and that in fall of reach the spartan II's were studying their combat techniques. I wish I knew enough about the lore to connect more dots than that but If i had to guess the parallels are quite intentional and perhaps many of the events are directly inspired by real life. Halo has some pretty overt mythical and historical reference e.g. the flood and the spartan program so It wouldn't be too far fetched.
There is a common theme in many sci-fi stories that the nature and dynamics of conflict seldom change and that technology just makes the scale larger. I personally tend to think such ideas are a bit of an oversimplification but the "War never changes" mantra is pretty popular in video games and film alike.

I know that the Spartan program is indeed a direct reference to actual Spartan warriors and that in fall of reach the spartan II's were studying their combat techniques. I wish I knew enough about the lore to connect more dots than that but If i had to guess the parallels are quite intentional and perhaps many of the events are directly inspired by real life. Halo has some pretty overt mythical and historical reference e.g. the flood and the spartan program so It wouldn't be too far fetched.
I always wonder did the Liberian or the precursors planned that to happen

I always wonder did the Liberian or the precursors planned that to happen
Again I would have to reread up on a lot of the lore, but IIRC precursors got some god-like vibes going on in the universe and the librarian was able to predict chief so it doesn't seem to far fetched. In fact I would probably have to assume that they did
Halo, at least Bungie Halo, is inspired by Christianity/Catholicism. Look up the names for most of the beings, "Covenant" "Ark" "Truth and Reconciliation".. etc.
Halo and Ancient Greek are connected because they have similar conflicts like the UNSC is basically
Ancient Greece and the Persian empire are the covenant it seems like history keeps on repeating itself not in real life but in the halo universe so what’s next will the UNSC be the Roman Empire because they have the mantle of responsibility and the banished will be the barbarians because they believe that humans should not have the mantle
There are a lot of connection about Halo and greek history, im sure it is
I've just assumed there's things from everywhere in Halo, like Bible relations with the Ark and Flood.
There are a lot of connection about Halo and greek history, im sure it is
As someone with a degree in Classics, I can confirm this. However I feel the areas of inspiration are simply that. I don't see direct parallels.

Important to remember: Barbarian is from the Ancient Greek Barbaros which literally just meant someone who didn't speak Greek (slightly onomatopoeic word - they'd get tongue twisted and say 'Bar Bar' when they tried). In the original Greek the Persians - not the northern tribes - were the primary focus of the word to begin with. The notion of 'Other' was incredibly important to any form of Greek 'unity'.

The Romans were in fact far more enlightened when it came to dealing with - especially Germanic northern European and migratory Steppe tribes as they would quite regularly distinguish between different groups rather than lump them with the same description.
This isn’t as much about connections to Halo as it is to modern literature and media in general. So many of our stories today and in the past are based upon the same archetypes that were used in ancient civilizations like Greece, Rome, etc.

Another good example of this is Star Wars, which uses a lot of the tropes of old types of stories but uses the gimmick of it being in space with magical powers to make it stand out and interesting.
I mean if you look how the Spartan IIs became Spartans they are pretty identical to how the Greek Spartans were trained
I mean if you look how the Spartan IIs became Spartans they are pretty identical to how the Greek Spartans were trained
Fair point, I never looked at that. Pretty mind-blowing huh?
The heroes journey generally repeats many adventure ideas. Halo and the conflicts within the universe is just one more variation of the heroes journey.
It is inspired to some extent by greek yes, and the way spartan life was for young children definitely compares to the spartans.

I'm a history nerd, especially when it comes to Greek or Roman and midevil times (but I am a Roman history primary and I even play the Rome total war games 👍😁).

Real life Spartan children were taken from their parents by age 7, sent to a military education school and put through intense lessons for a kid to be put through. Around age 16 they were elevated to a higher up military School where they were pretty much getting ready to officially become a soldier. They never live with their parents again once they're taken, and if you marry or fall in love with a woman you couldn't live together till your 30s, and such. Sparta was a very intense military force in ancient Greece and the way their soldiers were raised and trained is what made them so effective.

I can't talk to much strategy wise as Spartans in halo don't fight in formations like the real life greek Spartans did (the Phalanx being the most famous formation for Hoplite/Pike soldiers to use). That said both were thrown into the wilds to survive on their own, all to help toughen them mentally. Greek Spartans actually killed Helotes (slaves) that'd wonder out as a way for food and to actually help keep their slave population in check (the more slaves you have the more chance of a rebellion happens as no one likes to be a slave).

As for your reference to Rome: all I can say to that is a definitive no because the way the UNSC operates is drastically different. The UNSC is more on colonization and self defense, Rome to it's very core was a war machine built off conquering and subjugating you into their empire. Rome was a very invasive empire during it's time, and it's partly why it was so successful because it ran off conquest economically and politically war campaigns was how you went up in status. I don't think anyone would see the UNSC being akin to how Rome was, barbarians hated Rome because you were either enslaved or forced to join their Auxiliary (the Auxiliary being Rome forcing you to join their military, they'd train and give you the equipment though). Rome's downfall can be attributed to various things as well, bad emperor's, a corrupt Senate, expanding to much for their own good that man power and resources started becoming to much to manage. Rome at it's peak is one of the largest empires In history covering almost all of Europe, northern Africa and going as far into Asia Minor.

Anyway, getting a little carried away. The barbarians fought back against Rome not because they didn't think Rome was hmmm good enough to own or responsible enough have the power they had but because they were literally fighting to hold onto their very own freedom. The difference here being the banished aren't fighting for their own freedom the way the Rome's enemies were. If you was a "barbarian", it was either fight back before Rome came to your door step or let Rome waltz in and subject you. This is where Rome holds that title as an Invasive empire and if we know anything it's that invasive empires aren't good (Nazi Germany, Nepolean of France when France attempted to "conquer the world", etc etc .The UNSC isn't like that and they just can't be compared to Rome because of that, colonization uninhabited worlds is miles different to forcibly taking land and massively murdering various people the way Rome did.