Forums / Community / General Discussion

Is multiplayer getting too competitive?

OP Koontzie97

I'm a college student, exams are coming up next week, and after a long week of assignments, studying, and working I decided to take a break and play some slayer. I'm a platinum rank in slayer- and I wish I wasn't. Playing slayer on platinum is ridiculously competetive; everyone rushes for power weapons, camps with weapons such as the shotgun or scattershot, or just walks around with nothing but the pistol (don't get me started on the pistol). Now, I'm not ashamed to admit that these players are better than I am, they've clearly perfected the way they play. The only reason that I'm platinum is because I played so much slayer for the first two weeks after Halo 5's release. So my plans to relax for a bit and enjoy some Slayer has just turned into me getting even more stressed out than I already was and furious at the fact that I can't walk two steps without someone killing me, it's like a swarm of sharks fighting over chum! Seriously, I don't think I've raged so much at multiplayer before this, and that's not why I want to play Halo, I want to play it because I want to enjoy it and have a temporary escape from responsibilities. So my question to all of you is, do you feel that after a certain playlist rank that players are more competitive? Although this isn't going to make me give up Halo (nothing ever will), I still feel that something like this should be addressed for those of us who just want to casually play online and not competetive like MLG players do.
Bring action sack back!
I miss the more casual days of Halo, like Reach.
Theres no reason you can't enjoy the game by playing, you sound like you are too concerned with winning other wise you wouldn't care
Play how you want to play. If you're consistently getting beat, you should eventually drop down in rank to where matches are more even, right?
LO0 wrote:
Play how you want to play. If you're consistently getting beat, you should eventually drop down in rank to where matches are more even, right?
No not correct. Now that he is platinum he can never go down below platinum. I somehow ended up as a diamond 1. (originally placed at gold 1 and ranked up) I've played many matches and have never been anything above diamond 1. I don't know how I even got to diamond 1 because even though I'm diamond, i constantly get matched with gold and platinum players and it's hit or miss. Some games I'll do well and other times I will get wiped. This leads me to believe the ranking system is broken and the matchmaking system is broken too. I do not consider myself a diamond player and even though I am I rarely get matched with diamond players. I can never go below diamond 1 until they reset the ranks.
I have just recently started playing halo 5, I have played the others in the past, but halo 5 is the first own. I really love the game, but I do agree, it is really competitive. I love the competitiveness, that is my opinion, but I can see where you are coming from.
This is a common problem in ALL the better FPS games! Not only do the team players with the time and energy to perfect their playing style and methods take over before most of us low to average players have been able to play more than a few hours of a new release, but the FPS genre itself is not geared to those who think about team based military-like fighting at all! In any FPS what you see are the best players running around at full speed, like headless chickens, hunting down the best weapons, and killing whatever they nearly run into...totally disregarding real-life attack and defense tactics or strategy as they each try to outdo even their own team mates! The entire concept of offensive / defensive lines goes right out the window making every game type a virtual free-for-all! This type of play totally negates any possibility of winning by those of us who do not choose to join in this particular kind of play, forcing us to do exactly as everyone else. And the unfortunate thing is that not all of us are that good at run and jump shooting! Just watch a halo Esport contest and you'll see what I mean. They are practically mindless!

None of this will ever change until a game is produced that sets up rules and boundaries that must be adhered to or get kicked and killed. Not one of these so-called great Halo players would last 5 minutes on a real battlefield!
In my opinion, halo was at it's Peak with Reach.
Dont get me wrong, Halo 5 is an amazing multiplayer game but yes it is too competitive.

Where are essential game types like oddball, king of the hill, infection, Multi Team????? where are they. you just cut them out or what 343?

Halo 5 could be so much more but 343 is just feckless
This is a common problem in ALL the better FPS games! Not only do the team players with the time and energy to perfect their playing style and methods take over before most of us low to average players have been able to play more than a few hours of a new release, but the FPS genre itself is not geared to those who think about team based military-like fighting at all! In any FPS what you see are the best players running around at full speed, like headless chickens, hunting down the best weapons, and killing whatever they nearly run into...totally disregarding real-life attack and defense tactics or strategy as they each try to outdo even their own team mates! The entire concept of offensive / defensive lines goes right out the window making every game type a virtual free-for-all! This type of play totally negates any possibility of winning by those of us who do not choose to join in this particular kind of play, forcing us to do exactly as everyone else. And the unfortunate thing is that not all of us are that good at run and jump shooting! Just watch a halo Esport contest and you'll see what I mean. They are practically mindless!

None of this will ever change until a game is produced that sets up rules and boundaries that must be adhered to or get kicked and killed. Not one of these so-called great Halo players would last 5 minutes on a real battlefield!
Good thing they're playing halo then
I think same thing everyday. I loved low stress halo. where you could talk about your day with buddies not having to call out every location of enemy every 2 seconds. Fire fight and Spartan ops I sure miss those 2 playlists just to kill time. Plus doorbell can ring and you can get up and answer it and so on with everyday things that come up while gaming.
Yes. That simple
It seems very competitive at times . But you know you have to do what you have to do wife has to come first , unless you're a professional payed player.
It feels crazy competitive at times, but since they are adding social playlists soon it will still be fun without the worry of being ranked