Forums / Community / General Discussion

Least Favourite Line of Dialogue in Any Halo Game?

OP MinusSquire2145

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
From Halos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Wars, Wars 2, ODST, Reach and the Spartan games; what are your least favourite lines of dialogueever that you can think of? It can be within cutscenes or scripted during gameplay. What dialogue do you find most poorly written or acted, or just rubbed you the wrong way? It can be too cheesy, annoying, dull, not well thought out, doesn't fit, contradictory, etc. What line(s) don't you like, and why?

To start us off, I really dislike Locke's "you ask, you buy" line at the beginning of Halo 5. It's cheesy and forced. It reminds me of the attempts at humour during interactions between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. It doesn't feel natural. It's like they're trying too hard, which isn't a good way to introduce an already divisive character such as Locke.
I dislike the Chief's "like hell she is" as well, also in Halo 5.
From Halos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Wars, Wars 2, ODST, Reach and the Spartan games; what are your least favourite lines of dialogueever that you can think of? It can be within cutscenes or scripted during gameplay. What dialogue do you find most poorly written or acted, or just rubbed you the wrong way? It can be too cheesy, annoying, dull, not well thought out, doesn't fit, contradictory, etc. What line(s) don't you like, and why?

To start us off, I really dislike Locke's "you ask, you buy" line at the beginning of Halo 5. It's cheesy and forced. It reminds me of the attempts at humour during interactions between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. It doesn't feel natural. It's like they're trying too hard, which isn't a good way to introduce an already divisive character such as Locke.
I dislike the Chief's "like hell you are" as well, also in Halo 5.
He actually says like hell she is....and I'd thought you be taller from palmer in halo 4 was just bad
First off let me say , I don't really have any particular lines that stand out to me as horrible , some are worse than others , ("I don't keep it loaded" comes to mind , who carries a side arm with no bullets?) but I try not to pick things apart at that level.

As for your second paragraph , (a little off topic , but kind of a pet peeve of mine) , knowing Anakins' inner turmoil , how would you act around people that can literally read your thoughts and emotions? Think about how wooden most teenagers are around their parents and they can't read your thoughts or emotions. (Emotions are readable and noticeable , but most teenagers have a pretty good handle on hiding them if they want).
Now look at Hayden when he is playing standard good guy Anakin , comes across as wooden and forced , ever think that may have been intentional?
Now look at Hayden when he is full on Vader. Hateful , angry , vengeful. Far from wooden and forced.
Go back and watch Clones and Sith with the idea that Anakin is trying to hide who he is from people who can read his soul. The only thing that keeps him from being found out is the Emperor clouding Jedi for-sight.

I dislike the Chief's "like hell you are" as well, also in Halo 5.
He actually says like hell she is....and I'd thought you be taller from palmer in halo 4 was just bad
True. Locke says that she's his concern before that. Either way, it's not good.

And yeah, a lot of people have an issue with that line. Although I think I hear/perceive it differently from them.
"The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat: the Covenant is on Reach" - Corporal Travis, Winter Contingency, Halo Reach.

Don't think the VA could sound any more monotone if he tried. The genocidal alien alliance that has been wiping us out for the better part of the last 30 years has just shown up on humanity's last great military stronghold. You'd think that would warrant a more grandiose response than what we have here. Every time I hear it it gives me a chuckle just because of how badly voice-acted this line is. Really takes you out of the moment.
"Where are we going?" "To war"- Miranda Keyes. Cringiest moment of the series in my opinion
Nothing really specific stands out, but I never liked Ike Amadi/Locke's voice acting. I don't know if it was the dialogue, his acting or a combination of both, but it just fell flat for me.
'Negative, Infinity.'

This was the Master Chief going AWOL. The Master Chief. Might have well have said "Nah."
"Where are we going?" "To war"- Miranda Keyes. Cringiest moment of the series in my opinion
I knew that was coming! XD
I knew that was coming! XD
Much needed response: "-Yoink- you ma'am. The base is under fire, we have severe wounded we need to evacuate, and we have a big--Yoink- bomb that we are about to bring into our control room. GIVE US A Yoinking! RALLY POINT!!!"
Sunsdune wrote:
First off let me say , I don't really have any particular lines that stand out to me as horrible , some are worse than others , ("I don't keep it loaded" comes to mind , who carries a side arm with no bullets?) but I try not to pick things apart at that level.

As for your second paragraph , (a little off topic , but kind of a pet peeve of mine) , knowing Anakins' inner turmoil , how would you act around people that can literally read your thoughts and emotions? Think about how wooden most teenagers are around their parents and they can't read your thoughts or emotions. (Emotions are readable and noticeable , but most teenagers have a pretty good handle on hiding them if they want).
Now look at Hayden when he is playing standard good guy Anakin , comes across as wooden and forced , ever think that may have been intentional?
Now look at Hayden when he is full on Vader. Hateful , angry , vengeful. Far from wooden and forced.
Go back and watch Clones and Sith with the idea that Anakin is trying to hide who he is from people who can read his soul. The only thing that keeps him from being found out is the Emperor clouding Jedi for-sight.
I can excuse that line because if your in space and your captain of a ship why would you even need.a gun? Your in the command bridge and not on the front lines
Sunsdune wrote:

I can excuse that line because if your in space and your captain of a ship why would you even need.a gun? Your in the command bridge and not on the front lines
I get that , but you would think a magazine would be loaded at least. I get not carrying extra ammo , but they are in a state of war ; boarding actions , mutiny and such still occur (clearly since you are repelling boarders when the line is said).
"I thought you'd be taller"...

Just the level of disrespect due to a humorless joke was cringy. She was looking for trouble.
CE: "This cave is not a natural formation" Cortana, I don't hate it, I just find it amusing when Cortana is captain obvious
3: "To war" Miranda Keyes, biggest cringe and unrealistic
4: "I thought you'd be taller" Sarah Palmer, one of the reasons I didn't like Palmer initially
5: "Negative Infinity, I don't like it" Master Chief, what a dramatic moment
5: "What do you think that's about?" Buck and "You're not the only one here because of him" because there is no follow up on those quotes, making them useless
5: "We've come a long way" Tanaka, the campaign and team didn't deserve this quote
Sunsdune wrote:
Sunsdune wrote:

I get that , but you would think a magazine would be loaded at least. I get not carrying extra ammo , but they are in a state of war ; boarding actions , mutiny and such still occur (clearly since you are repelling boarders when the line is said).
Yeah,but the covenant ships usually destroy human ships easily,so no repeller's to fend off
Honestly anything Palmer has ever said can be on here.
I've got a few

• The whole bit where cortana is reading osiris's history. It was out of character and unnecessarily evil. I thought cortana thought she was the good guy. It was clearly just for the sake of giving background info to the player but there are so many better ways to do this. Bucks reaction was perfect though.
  • "Someone, anyone, respond." He says so calmly as his squads being brutely murdered
  • The entire script for the odd one out. Especially "I will get you master chief!"-truth. God was that cringy
  • "That explains why there were so few ships in his fleet" Because you definitely didn't already say that when we were back on earth, good job cortana.
  • "We can still destroy the enemy core"-spartan face palmer
  • 90% of what the ai say in warzone. It all sounds super cheesy, mostly when it comes to prometheans but I'm not sure what I was expecting so who really cares
  • The entire script for the odd one out. Especially "I will get you master chief!"-truth. God was that cringy
To be fair, Odd One Out was supposed to be cheesy. It was a non-canon comedy.
“Negative, infinity”
5: "What do you think that's about?" Buck and "You're not the only one here because of him" because there is no follow up on those quotes, making them useless
5: "We've come a long way" Tanaka, the campaign and team didn't deserve this quote
  • The whole bit where cortana is reading osiris's history. It was out of character and unnecessarily evil. I thought cortana thought she was the good guy. It was clearly just for the sake of giving background info to the player but there are so many better ways to do this.
If anything, it seems Halo 5's writing was rushed. Even if people disagree with the plot itself, it would have been far better received if the script for the game was written better. I think people would have been more willing to accept the overall story had the writing been at least decent in quality. Honestly, there are some really good ideas at the very core, but most people will never see that with such a poor script covering it all up.

Something else I'm not a fan of (and this doesn't count as a line, but is related) is the expositional dialogue in Halo Wars 2. It doesn't seem realistic at all the way Isabelle introduces the backstory of the Banished to the SoF crew. It sounds way too scripted. She's telling them a story as if reading an extract from a book. I don't believe it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3