Skip to main content
So I’ve been thinking about this, why does everyone call him Master Chief? Like it’s his rank in the military (Master Chief petty officer). He has a name as well as a number. As an example Jorge calls carter by his name. He also calls noble six by his place on the team. Even those closer to chief (besides cortana) call him chief.

It doesn’t bother me but it’s just a question I have.
I also don’t think it’s been said in any lore
Because that's what he's always been called since CE came out. It's more a branding thing than anything else. It's part of why the guy has never gotten a promotion since he became a Master Chief Petty Officer. His title has been as much a part of his character as everything else about him. He's been called John, Sierra-117, Chief, Master Chief, Spartan, and Demon depending on who's talking about him or to him.
More than likely Chief is his unofficial name like a nickname with the people closer to him, it lets him continue to be a bit of a blank slate of a character so it doesn't seem too personal and it fits with the military theme.
Wait so there has never in the history of the UNSC been a second spartan to hit the rank of Master Chief
big1russ wrote:
Wait so there has never in the history of the UNSC been a second spartan to hit the rank of Master Chief
Fred is a higher rank than John
Because in the fall of reach he is told that the highest rank is master chief petty officer, so he eventually got the rank and went by the master chief.
He is often called Blue 1 while working together with Blue Team, just like Noble 6. Some also call him by Sierra 117 in the games.
Also sometimes just 117.

It's also just very common to call people by their rank, they call generals general, captains captain, sergeants sergeant doctors doc etc. But most people didn't really know Johns real name, at least not in the earlier spartan era. But even if they did, they might not use it. There is a culture in some lines of work and in some countries more than others, where it is disrespectful to call some people by their first name, I come from a country where we call pretty much everyone by their first name, teachers etc, so it's a bit alien to me, but for example in US military that's probably what it's like "ish" (Don't know to what extent though, correct me if I'm wrong). I think the UNSC is very based on that culture, and very based on the US military. They call Captain Keyes either Captain, or Keyes, or just Sir but rarely Jacob, unless they are his personal friend, same with Sergeant Avery Johnson etc. But Chiefs sirname is "classified".
It's a pretty cool title, I wouldn't complain if I were him.
big1russ wrote:
I'm sure there have been. There are plenty of non-Spartans who are Master Chiefs. A little over 1% of the US Navy enlisted are Master Chiefs. That just happens to be the rank the Chief has in the lore. It's a cool sounding rank, but it's kinda funny since I've gathered from the real world that a Master Chief Petty Officer is more of an administrative rank than a direct action rank. Someone with actual military experience please correct me if I'm wrong.