Forums / Community / General Discussion

Micro-transactions in halo 6?

OP Graz34

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
J Teeps wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Microtransactions need to die in full priced games. Their place is in free-to-play games.
I agree, but when we have games like Shadow of War including them, a primarily single player game, they are definitely here to stay.
They are in most games now. In fact, its more of a rarity to NOT see them in a game. Look how NBA 2017 was "welcomed" by the fans.
snip
DO not buy cosmetics if the are sold as microtransactions. They are part of the game - so they DO matter and change things. Do not pay for ANY microtransactions at all. You are not supporting anyone but the Publisher and their greedy [B]icks.
This, I disagree with, in a game like Halo.

Halo 5, requires support and 'fresh content' to keep people coming back in this day and age. We can have 'map packs' like back in the day, but those were horrible value (I bought them all) because they almost literally never showed up in MM. If you're not a custom games guy (like me), it was throwing away $15.

I would rather buy a map pack and never get to use it, then to pay for something that was 'pay to win', sadly. Lesser of two evils.

However, free DLC, and buying cosmetic only (not pay to win at all) things like weapon skins and armor is my preferred way to support MS and keep the content coming. Everyone gets to use the new maps. Me, in my career with good pay, and the college student who plays all the time, but doesn't have money. We both get to play the game, with all features, for months / years.

Now, I hope 343 / MS make the 'free' maps higher quality in the future. Legit DLC. I will drop $10 on a voice pack, $10 on helmet pack, $5 on a Reach like armor effect, etc. If that gets me real DLC, I'm down for it. I want a lot of earned armor too, that can't be bought with credits or real money until earned via vid-masters, achievements, MM stuff, etc.

I believe everyone can win, including MS bottom line, if DLC is handled well in Halo 6. Halo 5 was done fairly well (compared to other AAA games now days), but improvements can be made.
J Teeps wrote:
I dont see what the problem is with the req system

you can earn pretty much everything through playing.

Trust me.
The current REQ system is very reasonable in 2015-2017. However, other games are showing to reach a little further. Greed.

Imagine if arena was filled with 'REQ' or whatever beyond just cosmetics.
Hard to predict the future. AS is now its fine is all im saying.
Thats kind of the beauty of Arena. its a fair playing field. All the power weapons are up for grabs by anybody.
wouldnt really bother me too much i havent checked in a few weeks but i mostly use loadout pistols and rifles/dmr.
I doubt they make Arena with REqs in future halos.

maybe a game mode but actually arena i doubt it.
People can disagree with me if they so please, but I actually think MT's are better if done right. Look at rocket league or Overwatch, even Titanfall 2 MT's. They do not affect gameplay in anyway or give a player an edge over others.

What I think would be a way of doing MT's in Halo is this: Make Armor unlocked like in Halo 4, but only the base armor set. Any skins or patterns for it can be unlocked or bough in a REQ like system. Other ideas would be emblem packs where you would have better MCC/Reach level customization, but could buy packs to add more emblem pieces like backgrounds and shapes, maybe even animated ones. Special Armor sets like the HCS could be available. Weapon skins, armor camos (not a skin, but like a pixel camo or something like that), armor attachments could be part of this pay or play system (This means play or pay to get the pieces, like you can do either one).

With this, 343 could add real maps and modes, maybe some mini PvE things like Reach Firefight, or even like some one shot campaign missions kinda like a mix of Spartan ops or a Destiny strike. Who wouldn't want a fun mini mission with a grunt goblin at the end? (Not trying to turn Halo into Destiny so don't even bring that up as an idea).
LethalQ wrote:
They could tie in some sort of AI that counts as kills with it, maybe killing AIs that are elite/knight level and above.
Yeah, that would be nice. I just hope they wouldn't forget about people like me if they implemented your idea
DaxSeven09 wrote:
I fear I am working against the tide though. Too many kids buy this stuff up just to cut down on time.
I feel the same way :/
With this, 343 could add real maps and modes, maybe some mini PvE things like Reach Firefight
I see your point, but "real maps and modes" and PvE all need to be a part of the base game, not some mini thing they add after making microtransaction money. Extra missions like Spartan Ops would be fun as long as they don't replace firefight, like in Halo 4. 343 needs to invest time and resources into making a solid PvE mode for Halo 6 and not treat it like an afterthought. That said, I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your point
LethalQ wrote:
They could tie in some sort of AI that counts as kills with it, maybe killing AIs that are elite/knight level and above.
Yeah, that would be nice. I just hope they wouldn't forget about people like me if they implemented your idea
DaxSeven09 wrote:
I fear I am working against the tide though. Too many kids buy this stuff up just to cut down on time.
I feel the same way :/
With this, 343 could add real maps and modes, maybe some mini PvE things like Reach Firefight
I see your point, but "real maps and modes" and PvE all need to be a part of the base game, not some mini thing they add after making microtransaction money. Extra missions like Spartan Ops would be fun as long as they don't replace firefight, like in Halo 4. 343 needs to invest time and resources into making a solid PvE mode for Halo 6 and not treat it like an afterthought. That said, I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your point
Well ya, being at launch would be the best, I was just giving examples.
J Teeps wrote:
J Teeps wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Microtransactions need to die in full priced games. Their place is in free-to-play games.
I agree, but when we have games like Shadow of War including them, a primarily single player game, they are definitely here to stay.
They are in most games now. In fact, its more of a rarity to NOT see them in a game. Look how NBA 2017 was "welcomed" by the fans.
snip
DO not buy cosmetics if the are sold as microtransactions. They are part of the game - so they DO matter and change things. Do not pay for ANY microtransactions at all. You are not supporting anyone but the Publisher and their greedy [B]icks.
This, I disagree with, in a game like Halo.

Halo 5, requires support and 'fresh content' to keep people coming back in this day and age. We can have 'map packs' like back in the day, but those were horrible value (I bought them all) because they almost literally never showed up in MM. If you're not a custom games guy (like me), it was throwing away $15.

I would rather buy a map pack and never get to use it, then to pay for something that was 'pay to win', sadly. Lesser of two evils.

However, free DLC, and buying cosmetic only (not pay to win at all) things like weapon skins and armor is my preferred way to support MS and keep the content coming. Everyone gets to use the new maps. Me, in my career with good pay, and the college student who plays all the time, but doesn't have money. We both get to play the game, with all features, for months / years.

Now, I hope 343 / MS make the 'free' maps higher quality in the future. Legit DLC. I will drop $10 on a voice pack, $10 on helmet pack, $5 on a Reach like armor effect, etc. If that gets me real DLC, I'm down for it. I want a lot of earned armor too, that can't be bought with credits or real money until earned via vid-masters, achievements, MM stuff, etc.

I believe everyone can win, including MS bottom line, if DLC is handled well in Halo 6. Halo 5 was done fairly well (compared to other AAA games now days), but improvements can be made.
Okay, look at how much content all other Halo games (without MT) launched with and now compare it to Halo 5.

See what they advertised as future support actually meant "we will proceed to adding launch features back in". Free2Play economy in a fully priced game is a no-no. And this attitude to even cosmetics is making them worse and worse and worse. Just look at NBA and now Forza and if you keep giving into them, they will keep getting worse until maybe even the brightness adjust option will be locked behind a MT and to get past cutscenes, you will need to pay.
I would hate to see a microtransaction idea to come back to H6. It seems like that's the norm now a days and it's sad. I would prefer to grind to the point of madness :). I like the grind and the feeling when you finally open the gear you were looking for.
J Teeps wrote:
J Teeps wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Microtransactions need to die in full priced games. Their place is in free-to-play games.
I agree, but when we have games like Shadow of War including them, a primarily single player game, they are definitely here to stay.
They are in most games now. In fact, its more of a rarity to NOT see them in a game. Look how NBA 2017 was "welcomed" by the fans.
snip
DO not buy cosmetics if the are sold as microtransactions. They are part of the game - so they DO matter and change things. Do not pay for ANY microtransactions at all. You are not supporting anyone but the Publisher and their greedy [B]icks.
This, I disagree with, in a game like Halo.

Halo 5, requires support and 'fresh content' to keep people coming back in this day and age. We can have 'map packs' like back in the day, but those were horrible value (I bought them all) because they almost literally never showed up in MM. If you're not a custom games guy (like me), it was throwing away $15.

I would rather buy a map pack and never get to use it, then to pay for something that was 'pay to win', sadly. Lesser of two evils.

However, free DLC, and buying cosmetic only (not pay to win at all) things like weapon skins and armor is my preferred way to support MS and keep the content coming. Everyone gets to use the new maps. Me, in my career with good pay, and the college student who plays all the time, but doesn't have money. We both get to play the game, with all features, for months / years.

Now, I hope 343 / MS make the 'free' maps higher quality in the future. Legit DLC. I will drop $10 on a voice pack, $10 on helmet pack, $5 on a Reach like armor effect, etc. If that gets me real DLC, I'm down for it. I want a lot of earned armor too, that can't be bought with credits or real money until earned via vid-masters, achievements, MM stuff, etc.

I believe everyone can win, including MS bottom line, if DLC is handled well in Halo 6. Halo 5 was done fairly well (compared to other AAA games now days), but improvements can be made.
Okay, look at how much content all other Halo games (without MT) launched with and now compare it to Halo 5.

See what they advertised as future support actually meant "we will proceed to adding launch features back in". Free2Play economy in a fully priced game is a no-no. And this attitude to even cosmetics is making them worse and worse and worse. Just look at NBA and now Forza and if you keep giving into them, they will keep getting worse until maybe even the brightness adjust option will be locked behind a MT and to get past cutscenes, you will need to pay.
Yeah, games are universally better without MT. I don't think a single person would argue that.

As I've said in a few other posts, I'm implying that MT are here to stay, sadly, and how to best implement them :-/
J Teeps wrote:
J Teeps wrote:
J Teeps wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Microtransactions need to die in full priced games. Their place is in free-to-play games.
I agree, but when we have games like Shadow of War including them, a primarily single player game, they are definitely here to stay.
They are in most games now. In fact, its more of a rarity to NOT see them in a game. Look how NBA 2017 was "welcomed" by the fans.
snip
DO not buy cosmetics if the are sold as microtransactions. They are part of the game - so they DO matter and change things. Do not pay for ANY microtransactions at all. You are not supporting anyone but the Publisher and their greedy [B]icks.
This, I disagree with, in a game like Halo.

Halo 5, requires support and 'fresh content' to keep people coming back in this day and age. We can have 'map packs' like back in the day, but those were horrible value (I bought them all) because they almost literally never showed up in MM. If you're not a custom games guy (like me), it was throwing away $15.

I would rather buy a map pack and never get to use it, then to pay for something that was 'pay to win', sadly. Lesser of two evils.

However, free DLC, and buying cosmetic only (not pay to win at all) things like weapon skins and armor is my preferred way to support MS and keep the content coming. Everyone gets to use the new maps. Me, in my career with good pay, and the college student who plays all the time, but doesn't have money. We both get to play the game, with all features, for months / years.

Now, I hope 343 / MS make the 'free' maps higher quality in the future. Legit DLC. I will drop $10 on a voice pack, $10 on helmet pack, $5 on a Reach like armor effect, etc. If that gets me real DLC, I'm down for it. I want a lot of earned armor too, that can't be bought with credits or real money until earned via vid-masters, achievements, MM stuff, etc.

I believe everyone can win, including MS bottom line, if DLC is handled well in Halo 6. Halo 5 was done fairly well (compared to other AAA games now days), but improvements can be made.
Okay, look at how much content all other Halo games (without MT) launched with and now compare it to Halo 5.

See what they advertised as future support actually meant "we will proceed to adding launch features back in". Free2Play economy in a fully priced game is a no-no. And this attitude to even cosmetics is making them worse and worse and worse. Just look at NBA and now Forza and if you keep giving into them, they will keep getting worse until maybe even the brightness adjust option will be locked behind a MT and to get past cutscenes, you will need to pay.
Yeah, games are universally better without MT. I don't think a single person would argue that.

As I've said in a few other posts, I'm implying that MT are here to stay, sadly, and how to best implement them :-/
Weapon skins, vehicle skins. Purely those two things would be A-Okay. I'd be totally cool with people dropping money on those to give everyone else free map packs. I wouldn't pay money for those skins because I don't want them, I like the default look of the weapons and vehicles. It's a win-win!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3