Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] My Experience With Microsoft Store FFA Tournaments

OP Exenius

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Today I attempted to compete in one of the Microsoft store Halo 5 FFA tournaments. I've been wanting to give it a try for a while, and decided to attend the one scheduled for today at the Park Meadows Mall in Lone Tree Colorado. It's about a hour drive from my house, but it's the closest Microsoft store and I thought it would be worth it to meet some new people, and get that really nice looking new exclusive Battle Rifle skin.

When I walked in the lady greeting people at the door was explaining to a group of four or five younger looking kids that they couldn't compete in the tournament because they had to be over 18 or have a parent with them in the store while the tournament was going on. She noticed me walking in and asked if I was there for the tournament as well. I said yes and she recited the same thing to me. I'm 16 and drove myself so obviously that's a bit of a problem for me. I was fairly certain the age requirement listed on the registration form was 13, so I stepped out of the store for a moment to check. I was correct, multiple steps of the registration process mention that you need to be at least 13 years of age, but never once did it mention having to be 18 unless I'm missing something. I ended up just going to get a bite to eat in the food court and then heading home. In hindsight I wished I had stayed and tried harder to get in, but at this point I was feeling really frustrated and just wanted to go home.

Several of my friends planned on competing today as well in other states and they had no problem getting in even though they are under 18. I knew that when these tournaments where first started they were very poorly coordinated, but I really didn't expect for them to still be having communication issues like this especially on something as essential as who you can compete months after they first began. It's really disappointing that I wasted so much time in a totally avoidable situation. If you want the tournament to be 18+ fine, but at least clearly state that when I'm registering.

If you went to one of the tournaments held today how was it? I'm hoping I just got unlucky with the store I picked. I heard rumors of a few of them starting really late, but I can't confirm that. Hopefully 343 sees this and makes sure that the rules and regulations are set in stone for all locations next time. The concept of hosting local tournaments that everyone can participate in is amazing, but it seems really hit or miss at this point. I definitely won't be dedicating my Sunday to it again until we see some more consistency.
That sounds like fun.
Exenius wrote:
I was fairly certain the age requirement listed on the registration form was 13, so I stepped out of the store for a moment to check. I was correct, multiple steps of the registration process mention that you need to be at least 13 years of age, but never once did it mention having to be 18 unless I'm missing something. I ended up just going to get a bite to eat in the food court and then heading home.
If I were you, I would have gone back in there and showed it to her
Exenius wrote:
I was fairly certain the age requirement listed on the registration form was 13, so I stepped out of the store for a moment to check. I was correct, multiple steps of the registration process mention that you need to be at least 13 years of age, but never once did it mention having to be 18 unless I'm missing something. I ended up just going to get a bite to eat in the food court and then heading home.
Read the sentence under that one. I wished I had as well. I'm not a huge fan of confrontation which I end up kicking myself over often.
Exenius wrote:
Read the sentence under that one. I wished I had as well. I'm not a huge fan of confrontation which I end up kicking myself over often.
Well, no worries. At least you got to go for a nice drive and get some fresh air. I'm just trying to be positive here. Hopefully they can coordinate things better next time, though
Doesn’t make any sense. There were a couple kids at my event that were 15.
Exenius wrote:
Oh great, now we have to show some form of personal I.D. to verify ourselves in addition to the registration form? Lame.... :\
That sucks. I agree that you should've showed it to her to clear up the confusion, but it's understandable that it can be difficult in the moment.
Did you have fun though? I mean, visiting a new place and being on your own can also be kind of exciting.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered."
I love the Park Meadows Mall! Before I joined the Marines I lived that area and would go there all the time. It's the Microsoft Store I went to for the Combat Evolved Anniversary midnight launch and I had a ton of fun there.

I know that was off topic but I had to share lol. I didn't participate in the FFA tourney but I did go for the first FFA tournament as well as the 2v2. I had fun at both. I never had any issue from the staff, but it's odd that she thought you had to be 18? The game is rated T. So, it sounds like a mistake on her/the manager's behalf.
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. Sounds like they made their own rules up to discourage minors.
Do not make nonconstructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
I don't know if i could ever go to a place like that, never before have I thought of a more retched hive of scum and villainy. Seriously though, I would never step foot into a place like that.
I think you’re exaggerating the problem, Just a little bit but I do agree that it definitely sounds like a nuisance.

Old enough to drive but not enough to participate in a Halo 5 tournament. Heh.
I love the Park Meadows Mall! Before I joined the Marines I lived that area and would go there all the time. It's the Microsoft Store I went to for the Combat Evolved Anniversary midnight launch and I had a ton of fun there.

I know that was off topic but I had to share lol. I didn't participate in the FFA tourney but I did go for the first FFA tournament as well as the 2v2. I had fun at both. I never had any issue from the staff, but it's odd that she thought you had to be 18? The game is rated T. So, it sounds like a mistake on her/the manager's behalf.
It was my first time there, and the mall itself had a really good atmosphere. It was a lot nicer than the ones we have down by my place. If only it was closer. I may try again at a later date, but next time I'll call and make sure they'll let me in first. Hopefully the whole thing gets sorted out by then.
I should try to attend one of these store events in the future, seems like a great way to connect with fellow players.
What sucked at my store is they let 3 of the kids use the elite controllers, it didn’t say you can bring your own controllers which was a clear disadvantage. The gap between the top 3 using the controllers and everyone else ways crazy. I could’ve brought my scuff controller if I knew. They need to have halo players host these things instead of a Microsoft employees.
I don't know if i could ever go to a place like that, never before have I thought of a more retched hive of scum and villainy. Seriously though, I would never step foot into a place like that.
I think you’re exaggerating the problem, Just a little bit but I do agree that it definitely sounds like a nuisance.

Old enough to drive but not enough to participate in a Halo 5 tournament. Heh.
Sometimes it can be a legal issue, especially if there a cash prize involved
What sucked at my store is they let 3 of the kids use the elite controllers, it didn’t say you can bring your own controllers which was a clear disadvantage. The gap between the top 3 using the controllers and everyone else ways crazy. I could’ve brought my scuff controller if I knew. They need to have halo players host these things instead of a Microsoft employees.
It's been previously established that your allowed to bring your own controller, but yeah I definitely agree that they need to better communicate the rules and whats allowed and whats not. I was searching for some sort of rulebook for this post so that I could validate my statement about bringing controllers, but I couldn't find much. The closest I could find was this subtweet.

Bringing your own controllers is a great idea. If not players who have muscle memory with elite controllers or scufs will be at a huge disadvantage. Everyone should be able to play with what they are comfortable with. I understand why it was frustrating for you, but I'm glad it's that way.
Its becuase not all the stores are not on the same page, so to speak. I have had problems with the miscrosoft store, best buy, and game stop. Just be more agresive and ask to see a manager, tell the manager what you just told us.
Digging up an old thread, but just to clarify, for all Microsoft Store gaming events, specifically ones that include some type of prizing, you must be at least 18 to participate without a parent, and 13 with a parent. The part you overheard about the parent is meant for those not of legal age, because per policy (and laws in some areas), you must be of legal age to accept prizes, or in the case of a minor, your parent consents to accepting the prize on your behalf in addition to giving consent to you participating, having your photo taken, etc.

During the registration process for the tournament, there were links to and information about minors having their parent attend and bring in a parental consent form.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2