Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] My Experience With Microsoft Store FFA Tournaments

OP Exenius

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
prjkthack wrote:
Digging up an old thread, but just to clarify, for all Microsoft Store gaming events, specifically ones that include some type of prizing, you must be at least 18 to participate without a parent, and 13 with a parent. The part you overheard about the parent is meant for those not of legal age, because per policy (and laws in some areas), you must be of legal age to accept prizes, or in the case of a minor, your parent consents to accepting the prize on your behalf in addition to giving consent to you participating, having your photo taken, etc.

During the registration process for the tournament, there were links to and information about minors having their parent attend and bring in a parental consent form.
I had friends who where around my age go without a parent and not have any problem at all. I actually have screenshots of most of the registration process, and it says 13+ multiple times without mentioning any of that and the only place it links you to for more information is here which also doesn't mention anything age wise. I'm not sure there was even any prizes for this event. It does say in small text at the bottom of the page "some restrictions may apply. See store for full Official Rules" which could include having to have a parent, but cmon make it more obvious so I don't waste as much time next time around, and make it more consistent so all stores play by the same rules.
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a crap experience. If the rules are set, the employees should know them. Sounds like a few people were just plain lazy
Exenius wrote:
prjkthack wrote:
Digging up an old thread, but just to clarify, for all Microsoft Store gaming events, specifically ones that include some type of prizing, you must be at least 18 to participate without a parent, and 13 with a parent. The part you overheard about the parent is meant for those not of legal age, because per policy (and laws in some areas), you must be of legal age to accept prizes, or in the case of a minor, your parent consents to accepting the prize on your behalf in addition to giving consent to you participating, having your photo taken, etc.

During the registration process for the tournament, there were links to and information about minors having their parent attend and bring in a parental consent form.
I had friends who where around my age go without a parent and not have any problem at all. I actually have screenshots of most of the registration process, and it says 13+ multiple times without mentioning any of that and the only place it links you to for more information is here which also doesn't mention anything age wise. I'm not sure there was even any prizes for this event. It does say in small text at the bottom of the page "some restrictions may apply. See store for full Official Rules" which could include having to have a parent, but cmon make it more obvious so I don't waste as much time next time around, and make it more consistent so all stores play by the same rules.
The short of it is that your friends who played without parental consent should not have. Whether or not the stores follow the rules is a totally different issue. I'm just telling you what the rule is. That's why for future reference, so that you never run into this issue again, you simply bring a parent until you turn 18, and you just have fun. The registration page lists prizes, links to the parental consent form, and also had a checkbox that you had to check to confirm that if you were a minor that you'd bring a form. The news article you linked also clearly states prizes, including that trip to Seattle to play in the HaloWC and a possible $10,000 prize, which is the whole point of these tournaments. You missed it, and that's unfortunate. Just keep this in mind for next time when you participate in store events and you won't have any problems!
Exenius wrote:
When I walked in the lady greeting people at the door was explaining to a group of four or five younger looking kids that they couldn't compete in the tournament because they had to be over 18 or have a parent with them in the store while the tournament was going on. She noticed me walking in and asked if I was there for the tournament as well. I said yes and she recited the same thing to me. I'm 16 and drove myself so obviously that's a bit of a problem for me. I was fairly certain the age requirement listed on the registration form was 13, so I stepped out of the store for a moment to check. I was correct, multiple steps of the registration process mention that you need to be at least 13 years of age, but never once did it mention having to be 18 unless I'm missing something. I ended up just going to get a bite to eat in the food court and then heading home. In hindsight I wished I had stayed and tried harder to get in, but at this point I was feeling really frustrated and just wanted to go home.

Welcome to Earth, where people can drive a car at 16 but aren't allowed to enter a video games competition. It's be even more ironic if it was a Forza competition.
What sucked at my store is they let 3 of the kids use the elite controllers, it didn’t say you can bring your own controllers which was a clear disadvantage. The gap between the top 3 using the controllers and everyone else ways crazy. I could’ve brought my scuff controller if I knew. They need to have halo players host these things instead of a Microsoft employees.
Microsoft is cheap. They are not gonna pay for there employees and also pay for halo players to host the events. It sucks man.
Clearly some miscommunication with that particular store. Unless they have different rules per state, which I don't see why they would. Even if that's the case it should be on the form then. Did you show her the form that says the age requirement is 13, not 18?
That's very unfortunate, I would've stayed until they kicked me out lol.
It may have something to do with laws concerning minors in the state in which you live. Not sure , just the only thing I can think of , if you couldn't play and other younger friends could.
May I ask if the friends you refer to live in the same state?
AMP Storm wrote:
What sucked at my store is they let 3 of the kids use the elite controllers, it didn’t say you can bring your own controllers which was a clear disadvantage. The gap between the top 3 using the controllers and everyone else ways crazy. I could’ve brought my scuff controller if I knew. They need to have halo players host these things instead of a Microsoft employees.
Microsoft is cheap. They are not gonna pay for there employees and also pay for halo players to host the events. It sucks man.
Please don't revive old topics thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2