Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

New Player to Discuss First Impression of Halo

OP Ciphy Master

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Update after experiencing first five levels of Halo 2 campaign. I gotta say right away, damn what an improvement! A lot of my issues with reach and CE are barely there in 2. Movement feels fast and smooth, jumping feels useful, maps feel bigger and less repetitive, vehicles feel powerful and mobile, can I also say how much I love dual wielding? It's just an overall improvement over CE in terms of gameplay and I love it.

I also love that I finally get to see more of the covenant's background and even play as the arbiter. Some of the weapons for the first arbiter mission feel absolutely awesome. Accurate, powerful, heck overall everything feels a lot more powerful. Hunters and Elites are less of a problem to me now. I don't know what else to say about what I love about this game in specific. I jumped in and went guns blazing for 5 missions straight and had to pretty much force myself to get off and take a break just to write this.

I'm playing on normal mode though and the game feels easier than halo CE or reach though, the improvements are there but they seem to make the game feel easier on the lower difficulties. There's also all the ally troops helping you out. They don't seem to die as often as in CE or Reach and actually do a good amount of work. Seeing a warthog drive past me with turret blazing in the subway tunnels was certainly fun to watch. Neither of the previous two games made me want to cheer for marines at all before. Speaking of allies, anyone else mistakingly kept killing the ally covenant troops in the first arbiter mission? I kept confusing them for enemies for obvious reasons.

Also on a bit of a final note, the tone of the game feels completely different to CE. Perhaps it's because the game is taking time to answer more questions and really puts you in the middle of all the action and not just stranded on a Halo out in space. The master chief bomb scene at the start certainly defined what to expect from the game for me. Looking forward to finishing the game and replaying parts of it a few times.
Halo 2 holds pretty steadily to the classic "second installment in the franchise" tropes. Which although not a bad thing, isn't thoroughly unexpected. Think "Empire Strikes Back" or "Back to the Future Part II". Just an in-depth and deeper dive into the lore and behind the scenes from the surprising success of the original game.

Halo 3 is still my favorite campaign, but Halo 2, especially the anniversary edition, gets a lot of things right. It's the lengthiest Halo campaign, and quite honestly A LOT, maybe even too much, happens in it. The landscapes are more varied, the weapons are better, the Blur cutscenes are just outright amazing. It's a great headfirst dive into the Halo mythos. It's also the most difficult campaign and can have the most irritating checkpoints, as well as some of the most annoying and downright frustrating enemies, especially on higher difficulties.

Oh, and do yourself a favor once you do a playthrough or want to go back and mess around - and look up "the Scarab gun".
Quote:
Halo 2 holds pretty steadily to the classic "second installment in the franchise" tropes. Which although not a bad thing, isn't thoroughly unexpected. Think "Empire Strikes Back" or "Back to the Future Part II". Just an in-depth and deeper dive into the lore and behind the scenes from the surprising success of the original game.

Halo 3 is still my favorite campaign, but Halo 2, especially the anniversary edition, gets a lot of things right. It's the lengthiest Halo campaign, and quite honestly A LOT, maybe even too much, happens in it. The landscapes are more varied, the weapons are better, the Blur cutscenes are just outright amazing. It's a great headfirst dive into the Halo mythos. It's also the most difficult campaign and can have the most irritating checkpoints, as well as some of the most annoying and downright frustrating enemies, especially on higher difficulties.

Oh, and do yourself a favor once you do a playthrough or want to go back and mess around - and look up "the Scarab gun".
Np. Honestly playing the game on normal mode and breezing through the missions pretty fast compared to what I had to go through in CE and Reach. Betting that it is actually difficult on Heroic and even more so legendary but so far there's been no major walls. Dual wielding is by far what makes the game a lot easier in my opinion. I usually carry around a plasma rifle in my right hand and an smg in my left as my index finger is my trigger finger in shooting games. I end up blasting through elites, grunts, and jackals with relative ease and the improved mobility helps a lot with hunters. I did notice that the flood are a lot stronger in Halo 2 than in CE, being able to two shot shields with their melee attacks and the fact some of them carry plasma swords makes them feel even more of a threat.

Also I'm usually a big fan for lore, I think the fact that a lot of things are happening at once is what makes Halo 2 feel much better than CE for me. It feels a lot less lonely than the CE campaign and to be quite honest, I don't think I ever managed to attach myself to master chief that much. Sure he is a badass character but it's not enough to really invest in him when he is silent most of the campaign. Not calling him a bad character, just to clarify to anyone who might assume that. I will however mention that I really attached myself to Arbiter as soon as I got the chance to play as him. It was a pleasant unexpected surprise.

And sure, I will go look for the Scarab gun and see what it's like. I think I've heard of it before.

Also one last note but Delta Halo is absolutely gorgeous in anniversary graphics and I love it way more than the Halo in CE.
Quote:

Np. Honestly playing the game on normal mode and breezing through the missions pretty fast compared to what I had to go through in CE and Reach. Betting that it is actually difficult on Heroic and even more so legendary but so far there's been no major walls. Dual wielding is by far what makes the game a lot easier in my opinion. I usually carry around a plasma rifle in my right hand and an smg in my left as my index finger is my trigger finger in shooting games. I end up blasting through elites, grunts, and jackals with relative ease and the improved mobility helps a lot with hunters. I did notice that the flood are a lot stronger in Halo 2 than in CE, being able to two shot shields with their melee attacks and the fact some of them carry plasma swords makes them feel even more of a threat.

Also I'm usually a big fan for lore, I think the fact that a lot of things are happening at once is what makes Halo 2 feel much better than CE for me. It feels a lot less lonely than the CE campaign and to be quite honest, I don't think I ever managed to attach myself to master chief that much. Sure he is a badass character but it's not enough to really invest in him when he is silent most of the campaign. Not calling him a bad character, just to clarify to anyone who might assume that. I will however mention that I really attached myself to Arbiter as soon as I got the chance to play as him. It was a pleasant unexpected surprise.

And sure, I will go look for the Scarab gun and see what it's like. I think I've heard of it before.

Also one last note but Delta Halo is absolutely gorgeous in anniversary graphics and I love it way more than the Halo in CE.
Honestly when you’re testing out the scarab gun you should chuck the game on easy and go exploring, H2 you’ll find can be just as big as CE! And there are ALOT of out of map places for you to just venture around to. Think of Chief as the futuristic version of a western Clint Eastwood haha. He doesn’t talk much but when he does you know someone’s gonna did lol.
Quote:
Honestly when you’re testing out the scarab gun you should chuck the game on easy and go exploring, H2 you’ll find can be just as big as CE! And there are ALOT of out of map places for you to just venture around to. Think of Chief as the futuristic version of a western Clint Eastwood haha. He doesn’t talk much but when he does you know someone’s gonna did lol.
I unfortunately don't really take interest in celebrities or. Never seen Clint Eastwood or any of his films. Just heard the name here and there. I'm guessing he is the silent badass type when in character?
Quote:
I unfortunately don't really take interest in celebrities or. Never seen Clint Eastwood or any of his films. Just heard the name here and there. I'm guessing he is the silent badass type when in character?
Ah ok no worries, yeah that’s pretty much him in a nutshell haha.
So I just finished the Halo 2 campaign and honestly it left me wanting more. The cliffhanger at the end felt too big to just wait for Halo 3 but by this point it feels like that will be a trend of Halo games continuing right from where the last one left off. I have to say that I enjoyed Halo 2 a lot, especially the anniversary edition of it. 2 probably had the most polished combat so far of what's available in the master chief collection and it generally was a very fun experience. Can't wait for the next addition of Halo 3 but in the mean time, I'm gonna go back to finishing my large backlog of games.

Edit: My one big gripe with Halo 2 are the first attempts at "bosses". I don't know if 3 and 4 try to improve upon featuring boss fights or scrap them entirely but either way, on normal mode at least, these fights were very anti climactic.
Spoiler:
Show
So I just finished the Halo 2 campaign and honestly it left me wanting more. The cliffhanger at the end felt too big to just wait for Halo 3 but by this point it feels like that will be a trend of Halo games continuing right from where the last one left off.
Halo 2 is infamous for its Cliffhanger, which is entirely due to game's development going badly wrong. It's a pretty well documented and interesting story. But if everything had gone to plan, there would've been no Halo 3. Halo 2 was meant to finish the story. The campaign was supposed to be much bigger, taking us back to Earth for the last few missions. But Bungie ran out of time and we ended up with a cliffhanger and Halo 3.
tsassi wrote:
So I just finished the Halo 2 campaign and honestly it left me wanting more. The cliffhanger at the end felt too big to just wait for Halo 3 but by this point it feels like that will be a trend of Halo games continuing right from where the last one left off.
Halo 2 is infamous for its Cliffhanger, which is entirely due to game's development going badly wrong. It's a pretty well documented and interesting story. But if everything had gone to plan, there would've been no Halo 3. Halo 2 was meant to finish the story. The campaign was supposed to be much bigger, taking us back to Earth for the last few missions. But Bungie ran out of time and we ended up with a cliffhanger and Halo 3.
I didn’t know that! That’s some really cool trivia stuff to know :). I think I speak for a lot of people when I say thank goodness they ran out of time! Thanks for that cool info!
So I just finished the Halo 2 campaign and honestly it left me wanting more. The cliffhanger at the end felt too big to just wait for Halo 3 but by this point it feels like that will be a trend of Halo games continuing right from where the last one left off. I have to say that I enjoyed Halo 2 a lot, especially the anniversary edition of it. 2 probably had the most polished combat so far of what's available in the master chief collection and it generally was a very fun experience. Can't wait for the next addition of Halo 3 but in the mean time, I'm gonna go back to finishing my large backlog of games.

Edit: My one big gripe with Halo 2 are the first attempts at "bosses". I don't know if 3 and 4 try to improve upon featuring boss fights or scrap them entirely but either way, on normal mode at least, these fights were very anti climactic.
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah Halo isn’t big on the “boss fight” scene but there is a skull you can chuck ok that makes the Prophet nuts to fight, I harp on about LASO difficulty but fighting him on that difficulty is probably one of the hardest gruelling boss fights I’ve ever had lol.

[Edit]I’m sure a mod will growl at me for this, sorry for the double post been a long day and I just clicked down my list in my notifications for replying to messages, sorry.

Spoiler:
Show
Not a whole lot to add that these guys haven't - but as good and nostalgic as a lot of us older Halo gamers are, you should have seen and felt the outrage from the community about the cliffhanger ending, as well as some of the added new aspects of multiplayer.

The Regret fight is pretty damn annoying and difficult on Legendary and up - but his species is generally pretty frail, so to have a massive super soldier punching him in the face, it shouldn't take too long to kill him in reality.

Still never really liked the Tarturus fight at the end. It's just really annoying, and on higher difficulties you just end up scrounging for ammo.
Quote:
Not a whole lot to add that these guys haven't - but as good and nostalgic as a lot of us older Halo gamers are, you should have seen and felt the outrage from the community about the cliffhanger ending, as well as some of the added new aspects of multiplayer.

The Regret fight is pretty damn annoying and difficult on Legendary and up - but his species is generally pretty frail, so to have a massive super soldier punching him in the face, it shouldn't take too long to kill him in reality.

Still never really liked the Tarturus fight at the end. It's just really annoying, and on higher difficulties you just end up scrounging for ammo.
Yeah I can imagine the backlash. I do agree that it's a very big cliffhanger to leave on. As for bosses, that too, they just sound like fights where you end up scrounging for ammo most of the time or trying to avoid flying bullets coming from all directions. I hear one of the later games does an entire boss fight as a timed event which I guess might feel more like an improvement cinematically but still doesn't cut it.

I do think that Halo should try doing something like a metroidvania style game instead of just missions alone, I hear Infinite is gonna be open world so might look forward to that. Halo to me shines more when it's just you as the player trying to hold out against a ton of enemy forces using any available resources strategically. I can really see the game being flushed out a lot more from 2.
Quote:

Yeah I can imagine the backlash. I do agree that it's a very big cliffhanger to leave on. As for bosses, that too, they just sound like fights where you end up scrounging for ammo most of the time or trying to avoid flying bullets coming from all directions. I hear one of the later games does an entire boss fight as a timed event which I guess might feel more like an improvement cinematically but still doesn't cut it.

I do think that Halo should try doing something like a metroidvania style game instead of just missions alone, I hear Infinite is gonna be open world so might look forward to that. Halo to me shines more when it's just you as the player trying to hold out against a ton of enemy forces using any available resources strategically. I can really see the game being flushed out a lot more from 2.
There's a quicktime event boss in Halo 4 which is honestly fine. Took me a minute to remember where exactly it was, but I had no issues with it.

In Halo 5 there are multiple boss battles which are much, much worse than the Halo 2 boss battles.

Although it's been rumored that Infinite will have open world aspects, there's been no confirmation or actual evidence. While I think a Gears 5 style would fit it nicely, at this point in time why it's called "Infinite" is open for total interpretation.
Alright guys, I am back and starting Halo 3! Been a while since I last posted but I was waiting for 3 to get added in. So far I have been trying to finish games in the star ocean franchise which they go from 30-65 hours. Jumping back into Halo with the third entry and I gotta say that I forgot how fast the game felt since 2. Looking forward to massacring a bunch of grunts again and beating up brutes! Also giving Truth a kick in the balls cause I ain't done with him yet!
classic Halo is its own thing compared to the newer shooters on the market
Alright guys, I am back and starting Halo 3! Been a while since I last posted but I was waiting for 3 to get added in. So far I have been trying to finish games in the star ocean franchise which they go from 30-65 hours. Jumping back into Halo with the third entry and I gotta say that I forgot how fast the game felt since 2. Looking forward to massacring a bunch of grunts again and beating up brutes! Also giving Truth a kick in the balls cause I ain't done with him yet!
Good luck and enjoy the ball kicking!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2