Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Putting my two cents in the community.

OP Spartan of Luck

This is something I felt I had to put out there so how you take it is up to you.
lets use Red Spartan and Blue Spartan as the characters and lets say that they may have been very close Halo buddies back in the day.
Image if the Red spartan has negative and possibly irate views about a certain halo game (Halo 5) and some of his views may include
  • Little character development
  • The advertising was misleading
  • No split-screen
  • That the game was missing a moderate amount of content in the beginning and may still continue to be missing content.
  • The REQ system does not fit halo
  • The game may have been rushed and that the game may have became victim to corporate BS
But the Blue Spartan has positive views that he may think the game did right
  • Awesome graphics
  • Superb forge
  • Buck was in the game as well as Red Team
  • Ability to Clamber
  • The REQ system does fit into halo
  • Warzone firefight
But both start arguing about what would have been best for halo while in the process failing to see and consider valid points in the other side of the argument thus the argument is invalid.
Eventually they end it maybe even with a few insults to one another, saying that one played all the previous halo games or that the other has bad taste.
Eventually they stop playing halo together because they let conflicting views interfere with enjoying the game with one another and they eventually stop playing halo in general for reasons of their own and ever so slowly they forget about halo.

There are valid points from both sides to be considered but the question is not if one did play all the previous halo games or that the other has bad taste, the true question is will you give up on it and let yourself hate one another because of differentiating opinions, or will you stay strong and hopeful even when halo goes through a dark time and will you be considerate and respectful of your fellow Spartan's while being able to enjoy playing with them even with conflicting views.
It is important to have an active community to relay what we want and to give constructive criticism as the community itself is the beating heart of the game franchise and if we have a dead community that teared itself apart then the Halo Franchise is truly lost, for the community has the potential to have the biggest impact on the future of Halo itself and has the ability to keep it beating even when its past the expiration date.
I keep seeing threads like these where people say "Not one person is right and not one person is wrong. You both have valid points so just bring them together." Easier said than done, bro.

At this point, I feel that the community is permanently split. There's nothing we can do. And this is, in my opinion, happening for two reasons. One of them is that we're human. Plain and simple. Being human means we have different ideas on the same topic, and unfortunately being human often means that we cling to those opinions and make every valiant attempt to prove them correct. We, as people, simply just don't like being told "No" or "You're wrong". Us being called that makes us feel embarrassed. Stupid. A plethora of other things that I can't describe right now. Point is, we don't feel good, and the only way that we can feel even remotely better is if we hear "Yes", "You're right", and "I agree with you". Once we hear that we brighten up. We hear "Finally, someone has the same mindset as me." That thought can be transferred into the thought that you are a part of them, and that anyone who disagrees with you is something different, something separate. You don't like the ideas they have. But, what people need to realize is that thought, that "They are the same as me because they agree with me" claim is false. Then again, people do hate hearing the word, "No".

The other part I think split the community is the reputation of the franchise and the reputation of the current state of development. When you think "Halo", what do you think about? You think about the story it had to tell. You think about the new and inventive ways you and the AI clashed in the campaign. You remember all the good times you had with your friends, be it on LAN parties during the CE days or over Xbox Live in Halo 3. Now, what happens when you hear "343 Industries"? A lot of things come to mind, don't they? For some of you, you think "worst developers ever". Some may think "Worthy developers of the Halo IP". One side of you will think "The group that killed Halo and ruined it for me". The other side will think "The developers that are responsible for Halo even being discussed in the first place."

Notice how there's no middle ground. There's no "Current developers of the Halo franchise that has their highs and lows". No "343 did this right, but 343 did this wrong". And most importantly, there is no "You don't have to agree with me". That no middle ground is the problem. With no middle ground, there's no common ground where everyone can come together and think about the next step. And unless the Halo community gets their -Yoink!- together, there will never be a middle ground.

Oh, and hey, everything I just said up there, you don't have to agree with it.
Wraith0912 wrote:
I keep seeing threads like these where people say "Not one person is right and not one person is wrong. You both have valid points so just bring them together." Easier said than done, bro.

At this point, I feel that the community is permanently split. There's nothing we can do. And this is, in my opinion, happening for two reasons. One of them is that we're human. Plain and simple. Being human means we have different ideas on the same topic, and unfortunately being human often means that we cling to those opinions and make every valiant attempt to prove them correct. We, as people, simply just don't like being told "No" or "You're wrong". Us being called that makes us feel embarrassed. Stupid. A plethora of other things that I can't describe right now. Point is, we don't feel good, and the only way that we can feel even remotely better is if we hear "Yes", "You're right", and "I agree with you". Once we hear that we brighten up. We hear "Finally, someone has the same mindset as me." That thought can be transferred into the thought that you are a part of them, and that anyone who disagrees with you is something different, something separate. You don't like the ideas they have. But, what people need to realize is that thought, that "They are the same as me because they agree with me" claim is false. Then again, people do hate hearing the word, "No".

The other part I think split the community is the reputation of the franchise and the reputation of the current state of development. When you think "Halo", what do you think about? You think about the story it had to tell. You think about the new and inventive ways you and the AI clashed in the campaign. You remember all the good times you had with your friends, be it on LAN parties during the CE days or over Xbox Live in Halo 3. Now, what happens when you hear "343 Industries"? A lot of things come to mind, don't they? For some of you, you think "worst developers ever". Some may think "Worthy developers of the Halo IP". One side of you will think "The group that killed Halo and ruined it for me". The other side will think "The developers that are responsible for Halo even being discussed in the first place."

Notice how there's no middle ground. There's no "Current developers of the Halo franchise that has their highs and lows". No "343 did this right, but 343 did this wrong". And most importantly, there is no "You don't have to agree with me". That no middle ground is the problem. With no middle ground, there's no common ground where everyone can come together and think about the next step. And unless the Halo community gets their -Yoink!- together, there will never be a middle ground.

I just want to personally thank you for putting in the time to make an constructive post as each constructive post gives perspective and yours does a fantastic job
Wraith0912 wrote:

I fully agree there is a permanent divide. however I think it is possible to find a middle ground. for most of both sides, maybe not for H5, but surely for H6. I think they should have a single Gametype called Halo Classic. IT would have the H2 Br as a starting weapon, maybe the CE as a power weapon and most abilities turned off such as Spartan charge and ground pound. Clamber would be needed because you can bet the maps will be designed for it, sprint may be needed as well for the same reason. But if the make ships with that game type and is marketed similar to how COD does Zombies, I think it could bring in and or bring back fans into the game, you have to give frustrated players a reason to buy the game, before you can expect them to at least try something new. I really feel it could get them to try it, Then after they play they may be inclined to try other gametypes. COD does a little something for all its fans. Halo could do something similar.
Wraith0912 wrote:

A few things:

1. Thank you. I don't see enough people in the community like this, and I try to be like it as well. I do what I can to post on any threads I see where people are arguing the game, and giving similar points.

2. That last sentence though - *mic drop*

3. As sad as it is, you are right. There isn't middle ground for +95% of the community, and the remaining 5% of us just don't have the firepower (for lack of a better word) to spread the middle ground. I just hope that we can get it in Halo 6. That the "loyal fanboys" won't continue hating on it just because it's 343. That those who think 343 are Gods among men, creating the absolute best game of all time, will be able to see the flaws in the game. And let's be honest, what game is absolutely perfect?

4. Finally, this franchise is what has allowed me to bond with friends, room mates, my girlfriend, my father...and seeing how everyone is treating each other is just sad. Because something that has brought so much happiness, friendships, good times, and competitions, is now causing the exact opposite.

May we learn to respect each other, love each other, and find the middle ground.
-The REQ system is NOT a good idea for Halo. The credits system, sure, but not random stuff that's just there for 343 to make money.
-The graphics are okay I guess but the player models look like toys. Environments and stuff are amazing in Halo 5 but not the characters...
-Warzone firefight is definitely a good step up from Reach's, more teammates and way harder objectives to make it less boring. (Though the timer could be increased by 30 seconds to make it a little easier on those who don't go into a game together)
-Buck's not all that great as a character but it IS cool to see someone from ODST come into the main games
-Nothing bad to say about forge but it would be cool to see a simpler one for those who can't comprehend the new one. (I can, idc but others complain)
-Clamber is meh, nothing too good or bad about it

-No-split screen is stupid af and 343 shouldn't really have an excuse for that since the fps and graphics aren't good at all if that's their excuse for not having it. Theatre mode is a joke when you zoom in on someone sprinting far away, it's like 5 frames per second it's so stupid.
-Misleading advertisement is kinda true.. but not that big a deal
-No Chief time/character development was a problem but they could be amping up Locke for what could be amazing in Halo 6 between Locke/Chief/Arby

There look, kind of both sides on it all there... easy.
I've been a long term Halo player, all the way back since CE first came out and yea the changes aren't my favourite but you gotta just learn to not care so much about it. Nothing we can do. I just play Halo 3 or other games entirely instead, instead of complaining or arguing about it :p
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Turretguy wrote:
-The REQ system is NOT a good idea for Halo. The credits system, sure, but not random stuff that's just there for 343 to make money.
-The graphics are okay I guess but the player models look like toys. Environments and stuff are amazing in Halo 5 but not the characters...
-Warzone firefight is definitely a good step up from Reach's, more teammates and way harder objectives to make it less boring. (Though the timer could be increased by 30 seconds to make it a little easier on those who don't go into a game together)
-Buck's not all that great as a character but it IS cool to see someone from ODST come into the main games
-Nothing bad to say about forge but it would be cool to see a simpler one for those who can't comprehend the new one. (I can, idc but others complain)
-Clamber is meh, nothing too good or bad about it

-No-split screen is stupid af and 343 shouldn't really have an excuse for that since the fps and graphics aren't good at all if that's their excuse for not having it. Theatre mode is a joke when you zoom in on someone sprinting far away, it's like 5 frames per second it's so stupid.
-Misleading advertisement is kinda true.. but not that big a deal
-No Chief time/character development was a problem but they could be amping up Locke for what could be amazing in Halo 6 between Locke/Chief/Arby

There look, kind of both sides on it all there... easy.
I've been a long term Halo player, all the way back since CE first came out and yea the changes aren't my favourite but you gotta just learn to not care so much about it. Nothing we can do. I just play Halo 3 or other games entirely instead, instead of complaining or arguing about it :p
I agree with this comment he has a good point i think ou should have to level up to unlock helmets.
Spoiler:
Show
Wraith0912 wrote:

The lack of middle ground is definitely the problem. There are two sides to every argument, and legitimate points on both sides of most major arguments on this forum. But nobody wants to come to a middle ground. They want what they want and everyone else must bow to their demands. I think that is a major problem in the community.